What is Your Best Skill?

• Total voters
RISKY 101

RISKY 101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey , so i was wondering what skill is most important for a good player and what skill is YOUR best. I feel im pretty well rounded but my best quality is my reads then aggressiveness and luck then patience. as far as math i know all the basic like card percentages in preflop situations and i know how to figure outs after flop ect. also pot odds before all that implied odds or whatever

J

JulieK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I'm new at the game, having the patience to watch how people play is most valuable to me. To last long enough to see who the good players are, watch how they play hands, and learn from them.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously the best skill to have as a poker player is reading your opponents. If you can always put your opponents on a hand, it doesn't take much else to become a massive winner.

Other skills people talk about like discipline and playing tight are just ways of getting around not being able to read other players. If you read people well, you know when to be disciplined and you don't need to play tight. Of course knowing your odds and figuring things out mathematically is important, but that is something anyone can learn and it is easy to pick up.

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned at the micro level that patience really is the best tool you can have. My "reading" skill is improving, but it's probably still behind math. Sometimes I feel like I go between too agro and too passive. Still trying find right range for my game.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what my best poker SKILL is but I'm getting pretty good with a Bo staff...

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience

Patience is my best quality. But, I have several bad qualities that over come the benefits of my patience. I can go on tilt with a bad suck out. Which is another bad quality I have. And, I am unpredictable. Make bad calls and bad bets at times. But, am completely aware of these bad calls and plays. And, then wonder why I did it.

I think there is a good game down there in me somewhere. Just need to figure out how to get it out. LMAO

I can easily go an hour without playing a hand.

But, in saying that, I am multitasking at the same time: reading threads on CC, checking e-mail, making screen shots, googling something, and mostly, watching TV.

Last nite I was working on a camera and googling the Kodak site for help.

But, I am not a good player, dont expect to make any money at On Line Poker.

However, I find that every hand played is a learning process. I am amased that I learn something almost every time I play.

I am a micro player, where many players play way too many hands and call just about anything with any card. I have learnt that the goal here is to try to get a good read, proceed cautiously, and try to weave your way throught the "mine field".

If I get a big stack early, I will usually limp into the small amount of pay off instead of getting into a bingo contest with the "all inner" , etc,

mange

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is very important - if you lose your patience you will play bad cards and possibly lose your stack.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree patience is for me

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I'm good in reads. I usually notice when somebody try to bluff me. Of course not always but, many players threw after my reraise. :)

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couldnt click Patience fast enough.:D

W

WarEagle1266

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are all very important, but no player ever wins at poker in the long run without aggressiveness; but patience should be treated with the same amount of respect. Math analysis comes into play mostly post flop, so I wouldn't rank it near as high.

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience and letting other make mistakes before I do

imasquare

imasquare

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
E.other- donking, it's just the easiest skill off all, i don't pay too much attention to reads, but it doesn't matter if i did, ill still foget them, i have a bad memory, i think im just agrressive when required (no skill there), i have very little patience, im not able to concentrate in a tournament for very long, and as for math, im good at math but in too lazy to do it.

Eugenius

Eugenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty good at the "sick call" - ala "sick call Kenny" style calls where all I can beat is a bluff... I've taken down many a $200+ pots with bottom pair no kicker.

Kuberr

Kuberr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think my best asset is sensing when other people have weak hands and jumping on that opportunity to be aggressive and win the pot.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Patience, can't be over stated. Try getting in a MTT , and sit out the entire tourney. You will be surprised how high in the tourney you will finish. I know I was, and since I did that, my patience has improved tremendously.

JohnnyFronts

JohnnyFronts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can poop really fast if the break in my tournament isn't coming for another 40 minutes or so... so other.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm have always been able to pinpoint a players range to 1 or 2 hands and be spot on. I remember playing when I was 18-19 and my mom was watching and I was just telling her what other people had, she was amazed! :)

M

Machinistguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I chose patience but I have to admit that if I get on tilt my patience can easily go out the window.....and stay gonr for a good long while. I'm only playing freerools right now for that reason.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I chose "reads" because I do fairly well on putting someone on a sort of hand, although I believe I have plenty to learn. But, I guess we all do.
:)

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, can't be over stated. Try getting in a MTT , and sit out the entire tourney. You will be surprised how high in the tourney you will finish. I know I was, and since I did that, my patience has improved tremendously.

I'm pretty sure I won't be surprised when I am blinded out well before the bubble, in any real money tournament.