What qualities should a good player possess?

bossbran

bossbran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ability and psycology is the most important in all sides in playing poker while luck doesnt happen every time you need it but it only comes when your not expecting it.. its also important for a player who stays humble or down to earth even how good the player or how big the accomplishments they made..

B

batagliador

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the game is associated with luck more capacity comes first

J

JVal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the ability to read your opponent and conversely the ability to deceive your opponent

doesn't even have to be in live poker rooms

you can read your opponent online even if you can't see them just by paying attention to when he bets, how much he bets, what he bets with

these are the most paramount skills imo and truly separates the good players from the great ones

you can be a math wizard and calculate algorithms in your head faster than rain man but poker is a people game

good luck

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A good player loves the game, is patient, observant, tricky, and varies his/her plays. Has self control and is willing to fold low and moderate hands - especially out of position.

Luck - a good player adjusts when not catching cards. To win you need to be playing good and running hot. If you’re not hot tighten up a bit, watch the dealer and your luck should return.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What do you think is more important in this case: the ability to quickly calculate the probability for certain cards, psychology and luck yet? Or maybe something else?

psihology,and luck..is the two most important factor for poker.
this is my judgement.
someone loves calculate first,without psihology,tactics,someone loves something else,..
there is no no precise tactics ..

Stevie Wonder trying to lead Helen Keller through a maze. 'gl' .. precisely

pahan434

pahan434

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is one of the most important qualities of a poker player!

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
table selection (location) and patience

A

alexmn

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience , math skills and a little bit of luck :) , and if you play live , the most important thing is to read your opponent

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disciprine. Disciprine matter most.

C

capara20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience.
Also, know how to gain a lot of chips when possible and lose few when loosing .

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, you don't need to calculate probalities on the most cases. If you have a logical and racional thinking you can figure out the risks and probably benefits of each move. Of course, if you want to improve your game, you should study and get deeper in your knowledge about poker.

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to know the pot odds and outs.Luck is not always on our side, so it is important to keep calm and well-playing game situations.Psychology is an important factor but basically only in live poker.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, its patience and never give up attitude.

You convert those many losses by researching/reading a lot and come back again and play.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mentality is the most strongest thing in poker in order to keep calm on bubble, and find ways to bluff people with your moves already analysed before doing. When playing with donks playing TAG is the most important but keep in mind cards will matter more than pure poker.

alejandro huerta

alejandro huerta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have the three things together and it's all part of the game, but as I must study to improve our ability to probability.

I

insidious96

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the psychology and luck yet is very important for a good player.

GoMuCkUrSeLfZ

GoMuCkUrSeLfZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with what alexmn said and as i always tell everyone patience is key to playing poker

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is the most important quality when playing a poker tournament. While playing a cash game i think psychology wins out a little more than patience because you dont have to be there long to win yourself a good bit of money. I think overall though, discipline by far is what defines a professional poker player. Being disciplined about your stakes and buy ins is by far what will keep your bankroll up and keep you playing poker for a living. During a single event or game it can be psychology or patience or calculating exact moves through pot odds, position, statistics, implied odds and so on, but during a lifetime discpline is going to win out over everything. Be disciplined in your card play and your stakes and you will play poker for a lifetime as your profession. Good luck.