What Percentage of Poker Players are Winning Players?

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Would probably estimate something around 5% (long term winners month-on-month), 25% with some ability to read the game, however, still with some technical failures (short term winners) and 70% are losing players.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
25% yea definitely $100 I drive in the driveway.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stable in plus 5-10%, from zero in plus 25-30%.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even if you are making a profit from poker for me it is important how much you earned from it. if you have invested hundreds of hours in poker and earned $ 300 for me as a losing player because of the amount of time you have invested. So, in my view, the percentage of winning players is negligible

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know how about many poker rooms, but if you take players in one poker room, I think that half of them will be winners and the other half losers, but this is compared to cash games, and there are very few winners in tournaments because there is a small zone and few from the players gets into the prizes!

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to figure in rake and fees also. Especially if playing low limit live. Really tough to consistently beat rake there imo.

But to answer op it appears just about everyone is winning player besides me. Hope you all enjoy my money

We all love losing players
They allow the winning players to win <3

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard about this statistic-only 5% of players win poker, the majority of winners play zero, stuffing rakeback and only a small part of these 5% constantly stuffed soy steak! Here are some disappointing conclusions-and I'm inclined to believe them!

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P.S.and Yes not win, and play in plus!

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't remember where but according to them it was 10% winning, 50% loosing and 40% break even players

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...no real stats just general guess of 10 to 15%.....thanks darrell

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you ask them 99% are wining or slightly ahead. lol

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker there are many people who play for fun who do not study any of this, so I would say that over 95% are losers.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe i'm not that winner but i consistenly earn some money every month... that's enough for me.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even if you are making a profit from poker for me it is important how much you earned from it. if you have invested hundreds of hours in poker and earned $ 300 for me as a losing player because of the amount of time you have invested. So, in my view, the percentage of winning players is negligible
This is so true . A huge % of winners are not making minimum hourly rate , very few average wage earners are successful at any form of gambling .

AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About 25-30% of all play in plus.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once read an article about bank management, and that said that only 6% of the players have some profit in poker.
And being a good player or bad player is not a determining factor, controlling bank is the most important factor, a good player can lose all your money if you can not handle your bank, an example is isilsur1, that in a couple of sometimes you have lost all your money.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What percentage of Poker Players are Winning Players?

I think there’s a strong misconception on how many players are actually winning. The number of highly profitable players is low. Many break even or barely losing or winning players are heavily misconstrued to the fact that they are better off than they are. Rake and fees such as travel and lodging for live players eats up a lot of profits. Variance is a killer as well. There’s a reason so many players seek staking. Even the million dollar winning players are often struggling. From what I’ve read there’s a big misconception on how many are as financially comfortable as the stats indicate. I’d bet less than 10% are winning and 5% are winning at a highly successful level.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello my dear, if I am not mistaken, I have already read something about it, and the percentage of players who are winners and live with it is only 5%, most are hobbyists, losers, or have a reasonable profit but no can live on it. If I'm not mistaken, that was the percentage I saw in some article!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Breakeven calculations for tournament play is fairly straightforward to figure out. Cash games, not so much.

If 10% of tournament field is paid, then only 10% of any given field is getting "some" money back. You would likely need to cash once for every 2.5 tournaments if you are min cashing (43 out of 100 tourneys), in order to just breakeven (considering fees etc.).

Generally only 3-4% of the field pays at least 10x the buyin which would be necessary to breakeven if you were to finish near the top of 1 in 10 tourneys. Many players may finish near the top in a tournament like this but not consistently enough to stay above the breakeven mark.

So.... given this, it is clear that only 1-2% of tournament poker players are winners, if winning is defined as "consistently won more than their buyins".

I have personally cashed in 18% of the live tournaments i have played in, which i think is very good, however, because very few of these are the top spots, i am actually not winning from a total view of the data. I am sure i am just one tournament away from the "big one" however, so I keep playing. LOL.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play sit and go, Omaha hi/lo $ 1 double or nothing.

When i win i get $1,84, so to maintain my bankroll i have to win more than half of the game i play.

With a rough calculation i have to win 54,5 games out of 100, otherwise my bankroll will evaporate after a while.

So to be a successful poker player, i need to win at least 55 games out of 100.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stable winning players should be about 5% to 15% is hard to be determine when no one would really say how much they loose only how much they win, only see or hear stories about winning