What next?

T

turby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this community and I was wondering if anyone can help me in my development into a better poker(Texas NLHem) player? I've been playing poker for 3 years while earning my degree (I assure you it does wonders with your results.. Lol) and I consider myself a mediocre player? I've read Doyle's Supersystem, that..Book of tells (by that FBI agent, Jo Navarro?) and a few other basic books. I'm aware of positional play, aggression, hand rankings, tells, pot odds, calculating your outs, implied odds, representing hands, table image, value betting.. anything I'm missing?

I play mostly online.. usually 11USD-33USD SnG turbos + Headsup (on PP) admittedly because I tend to lack the patience, cash games from time to time but recently I played a dozen MTTs and I scored "big" (in my sense anyway) in a PS 10k guarantee recently. My best win so far by far! My best live win was at a pub was GBP200 (400 USD then). However, I stress that online poker is my main grinding ground.

Now, that's my background. So I was wondering what can I do next to improve my game? I was thinking maybe some general advice but more specifically any book recommendations? (thinking of "reinvesting the MTT money I just earned you see :D ) I've browsed through some threads here but I was hoping for some um, tailored advice?

Areas I'm seeking to improve:
1) Making that transition from small/micro stakes--> medium? (I'm sure someone would have something to say about whether I'm ready or not.. how do I know?)
2) The more technical/mathematical side of Poker
3) Something to improve my patience/discipline
4) Better MTT play
5) Should I branch out into other types of poker? (Limit/Omaha?)

Anyone out there can help? Thanks in advance.

Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,
Areas I'm seeking to improve:
1) Making that transition from small/micro stakes--> medium? (I'm sure someone would have something to say about whether I'm ready or not.. how do I know?) be sure to read about bankroll management, it will explain all you need about when exactly to move into higher stakes.

2) The more technical/mathematical side of Poker
3) Something to improve my patience/discipline
4) Better MTT play
5) Should I branch out into other types of poker? (Limit/Omaha?) I would suggest to try all the other variance of poker, to many people it helps with their Holdem game if they mix sometimes with other pokers, I know it improved my game when i take a break of holdem and learnt some other variances.

Anyone out there can help? Thanks in advance.

Good luck
:)

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play mostly turbo STTs, you absolutely need to learn ICM (Independant Chip Model) -> Read Colin Moshmann's book on STTs and download SNGWiz (free trial) to analyze your push/fold decisions and train.

If you have patience problems, add tables. How many do you play at the same time? Turbo SNGs can be very heavily multitabled.

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play mostly turbo STTs, you absolutely need to learn ICM (Independant Chip Model) -> Read Colin Moshmann's book on STTs and download SNGWiz (free trial) to analyze your push/fold decisions and train.

If you have patience problems, add tables. How many do you play at the same time? Turbo SNGs can be very heavily multitabled.

thank you! it really helped me lot!! i am came here to advice, but i am being adviced by you!!

T

turby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hm, ok thanks for the advice so far. Will look in those.

RE: SNGwiz : Been thinking about investing in pokertools too. I've known about sharkscope and been reading up on PT, Pokeroffice etc... Thinking of subscribing of something..

Gorblid.. how does playing other varients of poker help your Texas NL game? How did it help you specifically? I can't see how it can.. besides mixing it up and taking a break from NL.

The most I've multitabled is 3 tables at a time. The problem with me is that I tend to multitask when playing so I surf/watch a show while I play sometimes. I know I should be watching the table but I do stop what I'm doing and concentrate when crunch time arises!

I do use abit of Game Theory when playing my turbos...