What makes the professionals so much better than the rest of us?

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience and dedication to the game. And most of them they sacrifice everything for the game.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its same in everything. Ofcourse you have to start with some predisposition for it. Then you have to work hard and give a lot of time to it. Dont give up when struggles come and then you will start to get something back from it.

duckeyflop17

duckeyflop17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think of it this way, Even you said its like going from high school to collage. If you don't study in high school, you get poor grades and goof around all 4 years, The chances of you getting accepted to collage, or if mommy and daddy give you a full ride paying your way in, doing good in collage are slim to none. If you study and work hard in high school and do get the good grades, Your more likely to be successful in collage. The same goes for poker. If you don't study the game in low stakes, the chances of you making it to the "pros" is slim to none. And as with collage, Say mommy and daddy buy you a $5,000 seat at the wsop or WPT, and you didn't study poker, you will not be successful in the higher levels. I hope this helps.

-Devan

I

insidious96

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the experience and intelligence.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fearless and reading ability. Playing for first and not caring about cashing.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of them got perfect discipline, huge bankrolls.Poker is a job for them, not for us, so they try to do their job good, but everyone of them has their own secrets so...

G

Grindabod

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The college metaphor is a good one. They have dicipline and determenation. Natural talent and intelligence is important, but I think the studying and analysing is more important. A popular theory is that to master anything you need 10.000 hours of practice. So if you play, study etc. for 3 hours every day it will take 10 years to get really good. So get going:)

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning players have a totally different mindset from average players, and have infinitely more knowledge/experience.

The analogy between NBA and rec league player is pretty spot on.

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the difference between professional players and rest players is number of tournaments or cash games that them play. People who earn by playing poker must to take part in too many tournaments. If they would't, they will lose money.

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can same the same thing about football players, they have legs, and we have legs.. yet they play much better.

R

RiickSzaboVP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A little more insight

I read many many good points across tons of different forums. I'm a member of most in the least and if you see me post its few and far between. Getting insight from other players is essential I'm no pro.....but I like anyone else I would mind being a pro playing poker and touring the world, but whats it take. What does it take to be a pro! Do you need to be aggressive all the time? or balance it out. we have all probably read "its about playing strong hands and playing them aggressively" somewhere i find trapping far more profitable. What about the danger. Some like to trap but they leave themselves wide open so often any seasoned player could pick them out of a where's waldo book. tell me what you think it takes to make a pro, I look forward to everyone's responses and insights.

Robert Krawczak

Robert Krawczak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play many time with my brother and i have to say that sometimes when the proffesional player comes in. My brother start to play different way, cause he know that this proffesional know how to play and when other players bluff or have good hand. Sometimes it's hard to play when u play with fish and proffesional players

leifen

leifen

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
The experience, time to play and skills to make a good profit.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Professionals are better because they study and practice the game of poker. I believe that instincts develope over time as experience grows but in order for this to happen you have to practice and develop your craft and the way to do this is to study and practice. Professionals are playing with the same deck as everyone but they know a lot more about the game and the deck they are playing with.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The thing most players dont realize is it not just about the game and knowing what to do. Its not just the work getting there but to stay there. Professionals constantly work on there games and study. They are looking at how the game changes and they adapt when needed. They also work on there games much more that people know and that is what helps them stay on the top.