What makes the professionals so much better than the rest of us?

F

forexbrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I find so fascinating about poker is that the professionals are just so much better than the rest of us. It is astonishing how we are all dealt the same 52 cards in the deck. Yet with two cards in our hand some of us can out play the cards so much better than others.

I am always hearing how moving up the stakes is like going from high school to college, its that much more of a challenge. With that in mind, what is it exactly that makes them stand out so much more than the rest of us?

The variance is still the same, the cards are the same only the stakes and bankroll is what differs.

Very interested in the topic, would love to know your thoughts.

D

dsk1231

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would guess it comes down to experience, intelligence, and a very comprehensive understanding of every situation and all the dynamics involved with that situation (who the villian is, villians perception of you, what action has preceded this hand, etc, etc). I assume it comes down to the leveling game more than anything.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is discipline, brm and volume.

And of course solid play.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main difference between pros and Joe's, is that professional's make it look natural and easy. This happens through experience and practice. It doesn't matter if you are a professional sports figure, or a professional salesman. The people at the top of their field make it seem like anyone can do it.

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a professional poker player just means they are playing for a living.
Many players that were professional last year are broke and no longer playing for a living, lol. And many more who were amatures last year will become Professionals this year.

Now if you are talking about the regular Professionals that you see and hear about all the time on TV and at the major tournaments year after year?
The difference is EXPERIENCE, confidence, backing/staking, endorsements, and name recognition which translates into appearance fees and so on.

There are many amatures that have what it takes to compete with those pro's. Just as there are many Pro's who have no business being a pro.

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much the same thing that separates an NBA player from someone in a rec league: Equal amounts of talent and hard work.

Cheers!

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its there job...most if not all poker pros have backers which makes playing easier imho.

catchitfool

catchitfool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the pros learn from their mistakes, however a lot of pros are broke so whos to say they gooder than some of us freerollers.

alittlepoker

alittlepoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its much like anything else in life reputation seeing hundreds of cards every day makes you better knowing who your playing and sometimes just getting lucky .

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup all of the above. And after a declaration of pro statice maybe a tax break? lmao i dunno!! I know that when i was a tournament fisherman i declared on my taxes and was able to write off expenditures made in the sport. But only to a certain point.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with a lot of what has been said, and I think the main difference is experience. When you are dealt 85 suited in late position and have 2 limpers in front of you, you fold. Some pro's make a play with these cards and because of who they are, who they are playing. They can carry it through and win the hand. That's the difference...........experience and knowhow. Gl trying to be a pro. One day eh!!:D:D:D

alejandro huerta

alejandro huerta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that they study deve to play day after day, plus the experience they have when playing online and live, because with this knowledge desarroyan different situations and positions on the table.
Rather to eachother we need to study and learn more about the game to get to play like them.

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Combination of mathematical, psychological, emotional-stable abilities. Much of spare money and time. And some more luck.

angeliks

angeliks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is most of all the experience and perseverance, plus sometimes a bit of luck and obvious his bankroll which is very difficult to merle hand XD

L

Lewa12

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, I could be wrong. But the thing is experience and deep financial rear.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even professionals make mistakes.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess it comes down to experience, intelligence, and a very comprehensive understanding of every situation.
Being a professional poker player just means they are playing for a living.
Talent and hard work.
There are so many variables if you stop to think about.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the luxury of having a big roll to start with.

bad_kabal

bad_kabal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not good but has a lot of technical know they study movements but played much are they go far you higher I'm not profiissional but I think they have more difficulty with amateurs than pofissionais own because they do not know ha time that amateurs can bluff

P

Philip Cruz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
professional players are best than we because they have more training and pratice.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
too many so called proffesional poker Players are broke big time .. and many even the top bracket pros have gone broke many times in their lives , just to be survived again after getting loan from their families and friends to Keep them afloat . and bink a mtt n again go on a run of games n again get broke.. so saying that they are way better than any recreational Player is just silly and naive..

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for 8 years but am far from pro as 8 years back. I think it's the poker talent that matters.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
discipline the strength and experience takes to be a professional , it is true that professionals make a living playing poker and you see it is also true that his bank support .. many with a windfall became professionals and others who they are professionals and do not get them when I 'm thinking professional queun plays high levels and at these levels there are fewer newcomers and that allows you to have a level of even and solid game, when a professional plays a free or any tournament benefit the sees immediately lose when encountering novices.

S

sunshine0410

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. They play a lot more poker and get much more experience.
2. They analyse their game, try to improve their game and to eliminate their mistakes.
3. You always need some luck in your life and a good timing.
4. They make sacrafices and they have the risk of not having a constant income.

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, a long and hard work.It is also possible to add factors such as the skills and knowledge of psychology.Professional players sitting at the table each time concentrating only on game because it is their main income.