Toor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Stopped playing cash games and solely play SNG/Tourney's instead
2) No alcohol
3) Keep focussed, no reading e-mail, no facebook, nada
4) No HUD for stats - I get pissed off losing a hand against a (statistical) fish - and it affects my game negatively. I'll play without any tools, forcing myself to pay attention to the player's actions including hands that I'm not in and get a good feel for the subtleties. I trust my gut feeling (why? Because your intuition is a by-product of the wonderful workings of the brain. Your brain makes risk/reward calculations in a fraction of a second).
5) Recognizing tilt and focus on something else when it happens

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quit looking for the quick win. It takes time to grind the hands and wait for your opportunity to win a decent pot. Try to lay down marginal hands, which has been very difficult to practice.

F

fmonteiro87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the secret starts with lots of poker research and a good bankroll managment. Depending your goals and ambitions, in my opinion a good coach helps to improve your skills

C

cogath

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, the things that led to an improvement in my game were:
1) Knowing when to fold them. Chasing draws and playing weak aces in the wrong place led me to lose my first couple of rolls.
2) BRM. My limit is 2% of my bankroll in any one game. Learning not to go broke is an important lesson to learn.
3) Investing in a HUD. I see contradictory advice above but, for me, I find that with the amount of players you will face online, the stats are invaluable.

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be able to play poker
good luck
mastery
attentiveness
patience

Dangerboy

Dangerboy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When a novice poker player begins his career is not sure that he knows that there will be a professional player or just for pleasure, fun to play.

The goal is to separate the two, of course, be prepared systematically and consciously begin to play. Beginners usually recommend a tight and aggressive playing style cycling is because this game is based on the later of the two opponents and random errors in use. At the beginning of their careers poker beginners often choose the wrong timing strategies during the game when choosing on which only the more conscious player game can help change that.

ZekeRam

ZekeRam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What really boosted my game rather quickly was identifying when I missed a bet. Whether it's a raise on or 3-bet in a multi-way pot pre-flop or missed bet o the turn or river.

I've found that having controlled aggression really boosts my win rate.

J

jeff0120

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read forums on and off over the past 8 years. The best advice I have gotten has actually been pretty recent. I watch Jaime Staples' stream on Twitch and my game has improved greatly. Small sample-size, but over my past 7 hours of live $1/2 play, I am +$1700.00!

TheCol

TheCol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What made me a better poker players is knowing when im beat and knowing when to fold or just check a hand.
Playing good starting hands was my worst to overcome.
You just cant play anything. Stick to more premium hands and you will last long on the MTT's.
I was on top of my game about 5 years ago but seemed to lose my game.
I need to figure out what im doing wrong so I can just get my poker groove back.

B

braveboat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Staples Stable

I have read forums on and off over the past 8 years. The best advice I have gotten has actually been pretty recent. I watch Jaime Staples' stream on Twitch and my game has improved greatly. Small sample-size, but over my past 7 hours of live $1/2 play, I am +$1700.00!

I, too, have enjoyed watching Jaime Staples, and others, streaming poker on Twitch. Jaime, in particular, does an excellent job of offering his rationale for most plays he makes in the tournament, live, in progress.

Training sites are great, but for education AND entertainment value, Twitch Streaming is terrific!

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker class twice a week and playing for 5 hours 3 days a week.

R

Retina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker I started to play with 21. For the first time about poker I learned from TV. We showed the poker TV shows. Just at that time advertised pokerstars. There it was said that You can learn to play free poker. And then, to become a professional poker player and start play poker for a living. Of course as a young student, I thought this idea was tempting. Since I play poker. But earn money by playing poker for a living only last a floor of year. So disassemble your mistakes and improve your game. Thank you all! Good luck!

M

MPaz_87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't consider myself a great player, but I think i'm okay :p . I believe it helped me to pay more attention in every single hand it's been played in my table, multitabling too, like playing zoom , cash, MTT and sit and go.
Reading had helped me too, playing more hours then I used to, to risk more sometimes and play withouth fear.

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing a lot and reading poker forums helps a lot to upgrade skills. im play ok, maybe even good :rolleyes: but biggest problem i got - agression... so, punching bag and jogging helps me play poker better =)))

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exploitive play and accepting variance as a natural part of the game.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only thing I can say that for me a winning player in the main have to be humble, humble makes him great .

H

Hemi06

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing i do is take my time with each move. MTT's are like chess matches. One right move can catapult you and one wrong move you are done. Think...Think...Think

Frank Burnette

Frank Burnette

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't always win at poker, but when I do, it's because of patience. Have patience my friends.;)

M

MPaz_87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've improved my game too by goals and reading more books.
I try to be more patient, be more careful and aware of every situation going on on the table I'm in.
I set a limit per days, about hours I'm going to play today and how much money I pretend to win or dare to lose.

S

Smoola

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...The other things I have done to help me win more is

- Working on the mental game

- Moving seats on the table to get position on the fish when a seat becomes free

- As you say, making an effort to play when there are no distractions, so I dont have to play when distractions are there

- Watching loads of training vids

- Less websurfing

- Better note taking and colour coding the decent regs, fish, and droolers

- More attention to position

- Talking through the information out loud before making a decision in bigger pots (I play online lol)

- Thinking more about bet sizing, ie if I have the nuts dont just auto pot bet or auto shove, actually think how much the villain is likely to call. You wouldnt believe how many players will default pot bet when they have a very strong hand, super easy to fold marginal holdings and high five the cat.

Quite a lot of effort goes in to making a winning player I guess.
Which training sites do you recommend? Where do you think that you can get the "most bang for your buck?" I think that a lot of poker players would like to get better, but they also want to get a lot of value for their money if they choose to sign up for a poker training site.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While vids and training sites can be useful as an aside to play, I really think a lot of novice players are overestimating how much they'll learn from vids without a lot of play to compliment that instruction.

I can already see people misapplying Sommerville's concepts in American based online poker and defending way too liberally out of the blinds without the same degree of skill postflop Jason has....

People want a premade/ready to go formula for winning, and that's just a pipe dream in 2015....you need to play consistently and think about each spot individually making the best decision you can regardless of what people say on boards/in videos.

Playing more consistently has allowed of things click for me, and I know i'm playing the best poker of my life right now even if it's at relatively small stakes online.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know.First of all it is a laying with "cold brain", to think about every decide and a calm around,I have to be relax and be ready with my mentality for the game.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
One word

Cardschat.