What good would moving to lower stakes do?

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait lists for my table are not long, I've been watching they're no different than any other table but definitely not the longest. I'm just on a real bad run right now. I just lost an all in for $230 w/ AA against 33. If guys want to line up to go all in against me with the worst hand then that's just fine.

It was a joke, kinda -- it takes some time for people/programs to identify you as a fish, once that happens, you'll soon notice shortly after joining a game you'll have a waiting list behind you.

1/2 nl online is harder than 1/2 nl live as I pointed out.. Get your head straight and understand this simple fact--there are donks in 1/2 nl, but not left and right.

EDIT: What is your username and what site?

B

BondsHOF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm starting to understand that online is a diffrent monster than what is found on the felt.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, more chasers in lower stakes, but lets get real here, a possible flush might be worth chasing. Apparently it was! Perhaps you are trying a little too hard to drive out hands with potential? Or maybe you should be going all-in after the flop so they have to consider if the reward is worth the risk.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, but he also called a $16 raise trying to hit a straight. The hand never should have made it to the turn.

Maybe he's not just playing his cards?

I'd suggest > drop down in stakes & check out a bunch of online poker training vids. Tons of value in these!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It was a joke, kinda -- it takes some time for people/programs to identify you as a fish, once that happens, you'll soon notice shortly after joining a game you'll have a waiting list behind you.

1/2 nl online is harder than 1/2 nl live as I pointed out.. Get your head straight and understand this simple fact--there are donks in 1/2 nl, but not left and right.

EDIT: What is your username and what site?

Beginning to think that most of what you say on here is a joke (seriously).

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is just so much wrong with this thread

play 10nl please.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's bullshit how all of you think I suck. I can't figure out how I'm losing but I know I'm making good decisions. I just got busted (again) to a guy who completely sucked and had the biggest stack at the table. I've watched him play for weeks now and he just plays what I call "bully poker". If you raise, he'll re-raise and just push you around. Tonight he was playing very loose and I got dealt 7,7 utg and raised to $7. He re-raised to $22 so I pushed all in (figuring he would fold), he called with Qs,9s and flopped a flush. Am I nuts or don't most people fold when you call their bluff?

I know that going all in pre-flop with nothing is pretty ****ing dumb but that's how I lose, every time.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW, I've run into guys like this in AC. They just like to see flops and chase all day, there was one guy who I watched drop over $2,500 in one night at a 2/5 table. He actually knocked me for $700 on one hand when he went all in w/ nothing and hit a runner, runner to make a flush. Of course in time I knocked him back for more than twice that on the same kind of hand. He called an all in when he was drawing dead.

I guess that I should keep playing these guys and it will even out but I'm just running so ****ing cold right now it's ridiculous. I've made over 50k in the last year and have lost about 8k back in the last 2 months. Maybe I'll just start playing in AC again. The Philly traffic sucks though.

et1961

et1961

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All about bankroll

The stakes that you play should be determined by the size of your bankroll. For me a good rule of thumb is to take your bankroll and divide it by 50. The results should be the stakes that you play for. Noone wins all the games they play, that is the reasson for considering your bankroll. This gives you more leeway to account for the times you don't cash. The idea is to gradually build your bank roll and to continually move up in stakes when your bankroll allows you to do so. That is the best way to remain a winning player.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It's bullshit how all of you think I suck. I can't figure out how I'm losing but I know I'm making good decisions. I just got busted (again) to a guy who completely sucked and had the biggest stack at the table. I've watched him play for weeks now and he just plays what I call "bully poker". If you raise, he'll re-raise and just push you around. Tonight he was playing very loose and I got dealt 7,7 utg and raised to $7. He re-raised to $22 so I pushed all in (figuring he would fold), he called with Qs,9s and flopped a flush. Am I nuts or don't most people fold when you call their bluff?

I know that going all in pre-flop with nothing is pretty ****ing dumb but that's how I lose, every time.

You may not suck but your not good enough, obviously if your not a winning player. People suck out, yes, its poker, there is that chance factor people call luck. If you can't beat the luck involved then your not making good decisions to make you a winning player.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You may not suck but your not good enough, obviously if your not a winning player. People suck out, yes, its poker, there is that chance factor people call luck. If you can't beat the luck involved then your not making good decisions to make you a winning player.

How do you know this? This guy (buckshot) sounds like he's just started out playing online. I'm guessing his sample size is very small.
You don't know if he's making good decisions on the tables & yet you're spouting off like you know what's going on.
Why not let OP know where you've obtained all of your expertise from? (you know.... the 'stuff' you're basing your assumptions on).

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you know this? This guy (buckshot) sounds like he's just started out playing online. I'm guessing his sample size is very small.
You don't know if he's making good decisions on the tables & yet you're spouting off like you know what's going on.
Why not let OP know where you've obtained all of your expertise from? (you know.... the 'stuff' you're basing your assumptions on).

The title says it all, he obviously has already been given advice to follow proper BRM but doesn't think that will help so what else could you tell the guy? If you disagree with my advice feel free to debate it, nothing I say is absolute just like anyone elses advice. That is just what it is, advice and also opinion.

Instead of flamming and derailing why don't you say something useful.:rolleyes:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I bet the waiting list grows in all the games you play in lol....

That's ^ not a flame?

I don't think OP's thread title suggests poor bankroll management at all?? Maybe OP has mirrions? Maybe it doesn't matter how many buyins OP drops at $5/$10 for all we know?

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet the waiting list grows in all the games you play in lol....

That's ^ not a flame?

I don't think OP's thread title suggests poor bankroll management at all?? Maybe OP has mirrions? Maybe it doesn't matter how many buyins OP drops at $5/$10 for all we know?

Thanks for proving my points.

This stalking is getting annoying.

Shut up.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I moved up to 2/4 and have been killing. I more than doubled my bankroll in the last few days. I guess guys aren't as willing to chase when they're being put to the test for more than a few bucks at a time.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play 1/2 aka 200NL you need a BR of $20K

I doubt you are BR'd for 200NL

Edit: Noticed you are now playing 400NL : BR required - $40K you wont be able to ride the variance if you aren't BR'd

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you doubt I have a BR of 20 or 40k?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you doubt I have a BR of 20 or 40k?

Because you dont really seem to know what you are doing. By the time you build a BR to this point you have clocked up a million or so hands and would just come across more as a man with a plan.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know where you are coming from, buckshot. I've been there before. I am a big loser in cash games right now. This is mainly because I have taken shots at higher stakes than I am rolled for again and again. One time, about a year ago I was on a nice run. I'd been playing micro stakes and tourneys and had my roll up to about $700. Being the genius that I am, I decided to take a shot at short stacking 10/20 NL... not a smart thing to do, but I was feeling especially good. I played very well. I was up to almost $2000 when I picked up AA. The game was short handed, so I decided to be a little sneaky. I min-raised preflop. I was raised, so I reraised and was called. The flop was 10 high with no flush or straight draws. I felt pretty good about this, so I made a pot sized bet. The villain raised... I tanked for a minute and shoved. He insta-called me. The cards turned up and he showed Q 10 for a pair of 10's with a Q kicker. I think I remember saying out loud... "Oh no!! Please don't do it to me again pokerstars!! Not here!!!" the turn came ... it was a blank. Then, I bet you can't guess what the river was!! I'll give you a hint... Q! This guy caught 2 pair on the river and won a $4k pot. He took my bankroll by playing terribly. I couldn't believe it. If I had been properly rolled, I could have just reloaded at that table and kept playing. It was a bad beat. They happen all the time in poker. We just seem to notice them more when they are big enough to hurt! This is the reason to drop in stakes. The bad beats are obviously bothering you and you need to move to a level where they hurt less so you can build your confidence and work on leaks in your game. If you don't want to hear this from everyone, I would suggest not putting your business out there and asking for advice. It almost sounds like you want people to share in your misery. There are a lot of experienced players on here. Many have struggled with the same issues you are experiencing right now. A lot of us have been broke many times over and have had to learn the hard way to manage our bankrolls. This is nothing new to poker. There is so much information available from respected sources on bankroll management. All of them would advise you to drop to a lower level for a while until you can handle the variance at the level you are playing. I wish you the best of luck and all the success in the world... Just keep in mind that many of the players on here have been there before. I hate to see you go through the learning process that I've had to go through over the years.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
buckshot, I don't think anyone's really trying to be a jerk to you.

If you have the BR to manage the variance, and you're comfortable w the variance, more power to you.

If you're not comfortable w the variance, you shouldn't be playing at that limit. It definitely sounds to me like you're not comfortable w it.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're not comfortable w the variance, you shouldn't be playing at that limit. It definitely sounds to me like you're not comfortable w it.

This is sound advice