What Do You Think About RaZz

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i do think that razz requires some skill but i believe its about 90% luck. even though i make good reads on my opponents i seem to get unlucky and the other guy hits A or 2 or something to beat me on the river and it really pisses me off. I play good hands in razz but a lot of times it doesnt mattter what kind of starting hand you get its what you get after. are there any good razz players out there? what do you think about the game razz? I'm a decent razz player and i know how to play it and i have been playing the razz free roll on full tilt ( yes it has a lot of donks in it but the last 2 days i got top 60 out of 2400 players) i dont think it's luck and i think its mostly my skill. i took 52nd yesterday (got very unlucky on my last hand) ask aloevera she has been a very good coach at keeping me calm tyvm april. and today im still playing right now 36th out of 56th left with 42k. i strongly believe in myself and hopefully i can make the money.

PS: i do like playing razz even though i get rivered a lottttttttttttt. like a while ago i had a guy call with 10 high vs my 9 high and he caught 3 on river and had 8 high. what can i do about that kind of stuff?

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i do think that razz requires some skill but i believe its about 90% luck.

i dont think it's luck and i think its mostly my skill.

So which is it, luck or skill?.. I don't think you meant to contradict yourself there but you really did manage to do just that.. Razz is a game that is all about the power of your up cards.. You can't really bluff too much if you have two Kings and a Queen showing in your first three up cards.. The fact that many well known Pro's become easily frustrated is because of some of the points you made reference too.. The keys to Razz are to get the right cards at the right time or represent a big hand all the way down.. Not much more I can offer to you other than that..

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, razz can be a sick game at times. One thing that will help, you gotta keep track of the cards that you can/have seen on the board. You can keep track of what's likely to hit against you,etc, but sometimes plain dumb luck rears it's head. Especially in a freeroll, where there's obviously a lot of donks playing.

Here's a theory to think about, and it applies to other games as well: Sometimes your better off playing against better competition, who don't chase that "niracle" card as often.

Y

young_chucho

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play razz but i got tired of the same things happening like the ace or the 2 on the river bs so i started playing stud hi/lo

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could you please try and start using capital letters and correct punctuation?

It's really difficult to read your posts.

I like RAZZ, but it sure can be frustrating.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok tyvm guys...and yes i do agree about seeing what the other guys have like lets say u have A 2 3 and u see 3 other guys have A so i know that im safe about not hitting another A and yes i do agree about the cards that are showing too but a lot of times you will get called down by a donk. i do make nice bluffs with agressive plays. like for example one of my hands i had 5 3 and i hit another A 3 and 5...i was betting like i had something strong and got the other 2 to fold.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sry effexor i typed it up really fast while i was playing razz and im going back and forth

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im currently 17th out of 33 left with 87k stack if anybody wants to rail me. aloevera has been railing me for a while now. bob_tiger on full tilt. thx guys

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could you please try and start using capital letters and correct punctuation?

It's really difficult to read your posts.

I like RAZZ, but it sure can be frustrating.

yes i agree its a really bad habit and im working on it

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just started playing RAZZ, Stud and Stud Hi /Low about 2 months ago and am really enjoying all. Unfortunately I can't really offer much advice as I'm still a newbie. I am having a fair bit of success with Stud Hi and am treading water fairly ok with the other two.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
razz drowns the happiness out of my life.

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The speed of online poker goes against the grain of razz. Really taking your time allows you to make mostly educated decisions. You really can wait for very comfortable hands, and fold fold fold when the current changes, which happens often. I enjoy razz very much in horse tournaments, but an entire 6 hour tournament would be to much for me.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was fun in HORSE... played in my first HORSE tourney and did horribly. I was actually on the end of like 3 coolers, but who's counting?

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Razz is a cool game and its not 90% luck, bad beats happen in razz just like in holdem. Just deal with it, play your game and gl.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find RAZZ an interesting game

Like all forms of poker, luck is involved ;)

One of the regular posters here gave an excellent analogy - I wish I could remember who it was - but he is an excellent limit player.

The analogy was about stud, but it can apply to all similar 7 card games.

He said it was like jumping on a slide. When u r at the top u can still pull out. However, when u let go nothing will stop you.

So what I do when I play these games is take more time in deciding to enter a pot or not, more than I would do in say NL holdem.

I find with Razz more than the others, you can apply more pressure with the cards showing. If say I have got into a pot cheap, if I`m sitting with [k,4]3,4,7 I will happily fire if the others are showing higher than 7.

Razz, IMO, is a game of putting people under pressure. If u have [A,2]4,6 there is no point waiting to see another card for cheap - fire, fire, FIRE!!! :D

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i do fire with A246 to either to take down the pot or make the pot larger if lets say i hit 3 on 5th street. and yes i do bet lets say i see someone is holding Q10 i will fire at them too and a lot of times it works unless its a donk and will call you down no matter what.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find with Razz more than the others, you can apply more pressure with the cards showing. If say I have got into a pot cheap, if I`m sitting with [k,4]3,4,7 I will happily fire if the others are showing higher than 7.

Razz, IMO, is a game of putting people under pressure. If u have [A,2]4,6 there is no point waiting to see another card for cheap - fire, fire, FIRE!!! :D
You can certainly add value and play the game better than a lot of your opponents, but bottom line is that you need the cards to come out. In the CC game I was seated to the left of a player I didn't think was playing particularly brilliant, but he drew a lower card than me on 4th street eighteen times in a row, and there was simply nothing I could do to pick up chips. Also, when the blinds are up and you are committed when you enter a hand, you're totally reliant on the cards falling.

I'd say luck plays more of a role in Razz than in probably any other game.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q10 i will fire at them too and a lot of times it works unless its a donk and will call you down no matter what.

So it`s fair to say that u can`t bluff a donk out of a pot, therefore it is pointless going up against them unless u are almost sure u r well ahead?

Then u make them pay. I have played lots of ring games recently where I see one guy scoop a massive pot when he had no reason to be in it.

The same guy, however, has lost it all in the next hour.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats also what i was trying to say Rob, like lets say the blinds are huge and some idiots raise you all the way and most of your stack in and lets say you have A 2 4 vs 8 7 5.....this is where the luck comes in play. you are pretty much pot commited so lets say you get Q and the other player gets a J....so what would you do now? i would say call it down to the end and try to double up

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got some sweet Ninja skills!!

I enjoy Razz and the first time I ever played it I had no clue what I was doing. I acctually had an Ace high straight and was like, HELL YEAH I've got this in the bucket, then I lost and though, what the heck kind of game is this. Needless to say, since then I've done really well.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol that reminds me, one time one of my friends husband/bf was playing razz his first time. so he gets a full house and raises and bets like crazy and the other player had like a 76543 or something like that. then after he loses he is like wtf was that str8 doesnt beat a full house so then my friend explained to him why he lost. this was hilarious

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats also what i was trying to say Rob, like lets say the blinds are huge and some idiots raise you all the way and most of your stack in and lets say you have A 2 4 vs 8 7 5.....this is where the luck comes in play. you are pretty much pot commited so lets say you get Q and the other player gets a J....so what would you do now? i would say call it down to the end and try to double up

I don`t know the odds here but at this stage, 3 cards, it must only be about 55/45 in your favour. So, in holdem terms, AK v QQ?

Being pot committed or not is a different discussion. If, in Razz, I`m short stacked and blinds are big and I get A24 as stated, yes I`m going regardless.

This is no different, IMO, being short stacked in a NL holdem game, say 3 times BB UTG and still some way from the cash. U get Ax, 22+, 2 paint etc and u will probably push all in (I would)

So I can`t see how luck can play any more of a factor in Razz than any other form of poker - feel free to correct me if I`m wrong ;)