What do you think about Poker becoming Olympic sport?

R

renandm14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think thats a sport. Then I accept poker to a olimpic game

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I guess we need to know what the meaning of a sport is, I always think of it as using body muscles, strength, endurance, etc. I am not sure card games would qualify but I suppose its strength of mind, cleverness, etc. Maybe some day it will be and olympic sport.

Whether or not I will come in I do not know. But the fact is that it is under analysis.
And with that the possibility of being accepted is open.
But I also think it escapes the essence of the Olympics.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Would be a good reason for me finally start to spending my time for watching Olympic Games indeed! :)Great thing, that it can be at Summer and at Winter too! Well at Winter it will be a little bit cold playing poker outdoors, but who cares, main thing the cards are dealt and you are on TV! :D

Exactly, I do not see why not be accepted.
If there was a possibility of being accepted by the responsible bodies it means that it is not at all surreal as many people say.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It will not happen, but like you said prejudice it will not leave. But it would be good. But what if would be best to make a world tournament where different countries participate and is classified per team and play 5 vs 5 per country and is eliminatory and that would also change the game strategy because it would be a team. And the aquipo to win ranks. Or make one representative per country and may the best win. But good is only suggestion. regards

Of course, but without doubts, with a possible entry for the Olympics I believe that the prejudice would decrease yes.

C

cessam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker becoming an olympic sprort make me laugh.
Poker it's just a gambling game there for needs some luck.
This is only my own view and if a day it becomes an olympic sport that will make me happy too.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that poker is not just a game, it's a real sport!

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously, a sport? Nah, it will never happen. If it did, where would it stop -- chess, backgammon, solitaire, or how about tiddly-winks!
I agree, poker will never be an Olympic sport (and I would add shouldn't be). If strategy card/board games did become an Olympic event it shouldn't start with poker --- it should start with backgammon or chess. Backgammon and chess are games of complete information, of skill, absent of luck. Poker is a game incomplete information, of skill, with an element of luck (gotta catch cards, gotta win flips, gotta have hands hold up, etc...).

In chess - no novice lucky player will ever checkmate a skilled (expert) opponent. In backgammon no novice lucky player will be the first to bear off their checkers before an expert opponent. In poker a novice player that is lucky can potentially beat an expert player on any given session (though long term the novice should get crushed by the expert). For this reason, if the Olympics expands to card/board games my vote is chess or backgammon first.

Don't we already have poker Olympics? The world series of poker brings together the best poker athletes and minds in the world to Las Vegas once a year! Novices, Advanced and Experts alike can use their skills (and hope not to get unlucky) to first cash then reach final tables and cash BIG! :)

Perceval

Perceval

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Be serious: poker is a game, not a sport

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But Poker is also a mind, strategy, endurance, and, of course, good luck! Do not they rely on luck in sports? About many kinds of Olympic sports used to argue, too - sports or not! But in the course of time they were included in the Olympic Games!

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don‘t care if people consider it
To be a sport and I do not see it
Becoming Olympic in our life time.

Let’s first win the struggle to make
Poker legally available to all players

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I love to play poker, but then become an Olympic sport for me is an impossible thing to happen

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the poquêr, but I do not see feeling in becoming an Olympic sport, if we would not have lady, chess, LOL ,.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right - not everywhere Poker is allowed, although all games (or almost all) on the Internet are pumping money from the players! And in Poker, betting should be done wisely, much depends on the player's training!

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe poker took an important step after being considered a sport of mind wanted very much to see poker and xadrex and his genius played.

B

Badbunny

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is on categories of card and its not sports, and sincerely I don't think that will be on Olympic games.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To become an Olympic sport is necessary to have tradition, attractiveness (practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on 4 continents and by women in at least 40 countries and on 3 continents), besides, an enormous amount of other rules and regulations that must bbe fulfilled and followed.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always thought that poker should be an Olympic sport, I think it would spread this game a lot.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
It is unlikely. In my opinion poker is not a sport. It is more like gambling.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as I love poker, made it part of my career, and have aspirations to make it to the top. Poker is not a sport, it is a game. All sports are games, but not all games are sports. like people say that esports isn't even a legit sport. While it takes physical activity to be a sport, some would say the finger coronation it takes to play video games in a physical activity. personally I agree that figure movement and dexterity is a physical movement, I don't think it's enough to classify it as a sport. that also goes for billards in my eyes. now darts, that is a sport, it take complete body control to get the dart to go exactly where you want it. If esports, and pool are not sports, then how can sitting in a chair, not moving at all besides lifting your arm to look at a set of cards a actual sport?

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly ,i dont beieve that it would ever happen,Olympic Sports are more of a physical,and mental endurance demanding game consisting in years of training. Poker altho contains some of these attributes, ,i just cant see watchin the olympics to see poker

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think yes but when 4 players play all-in in each round in a freeroll tournament - it is not poker and I do not know what it is.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think not, maybe a world poker by countries...maybe...