What do you guys do to get back in the mood for poker!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm not feeling it, wont play. One of those things, have to be in a positive mood and motivated to play. Otherwise, don't feel like I'm putting my best foot forward.

roystone

roystone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, i play very small stakes roulette or blackjack for a while.
After realising that my winning or losing is so luck based i get annoyed and crave playing poker again where skill can make a positive impact on the outcome.
Sometimes its good to step back and do something fun/silly to appreciate poker in a different way.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, a break is the best option to prevent losses. If I see that I am unlucky today, I just stop the game and go do other things.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep your mind busy.. doing whatever you feel like.. either is going to the park or simply staying home enjoying great movies and/or TV shows. And then you don't put much thought on when is that mood gonna come, you know it will just come.. and that's what matters! Feel free to do anything

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all,

I'm just in one of those bad variance spots at the moment where i'm running -ev and getting outdrawn like crazy in those really +ev spots blah blah blah. (RIGGED!!! Joking!) Anyway, in my last little chunk of tournies and cash games i've played I noticed that i'm starting to play worse to go along with the bad luck. Anyway this is usually where I take a small break and try to get some inspiration again so I don't keep playing and start to tilt and play too aggro. Mike and Worm just aren't helping things anymore lol.

Anyway, what do you guys usually do to stay hyped for poker?

When I'm feeling worn out or frustrated I like to freshen up my mindset. I find the best way to do this is by reading poker books or watching Training Videos to rebuild my confidence.

Lately I read Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo while going thru the ICM courses from bbzpoker and raise your edge. In doing this I was able to see where I was making mistakes and where I could improve (really helped me get my ranges right).

This gave me confidence (or "hype" as you say) to come back to the tables and try what I had learned. It definitely helped my results and kept me more excited for the next session.

I think the real key is maintaining confidence. Because of the volatile nature of this game it's easy to ride the highs of winning and feel stuck when it the pits of losing. But, if you are able to do something to keep your confidence high even when you lose (for me it's knowing that I'm making my poker game better) you will be immune to the negative variance (from a mental perspective at least).

And this immunity is very important, because without it the swings can take you out of the game, but with it you'll be able to play through them and catch the good variance on the other side! :cool:

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When things go negative, I finish my games that day and I don`t play anything else, trying to force a recovery, which possibly will not come. So I play next day, or maybe another day after, resting me and my game!

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
youtube

Good morning everyone, when I was discouraged with bad results, I stopped playing and watched the games of professional players and paying attention to the cards that play in the size of the bets, it encouraged me to play again.
What discouraged me was losing again and again with hands like AA, KK, QQ and AK, to hands like J5s, QTs.
Today I already know, what I have to do is make the correct move and not worry about the result of the hand, I have 10bb with AK, All in villain called with J5s and won congratulations for him.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have if bad pass
days in poker and I start to lose, then I start to get very nervous, then I take small breaks to relax, and then after a while I start to play again and already with a good mood and confidence in victory!

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do not live only one poker, make your life rich and interesting, the more different you have in your life, the less that one thing will greatly affect your condition:)

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When something unpleasant happens in poker for a long time I take a break.

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I have no such problems. I always have a desire to play, not counting the time after 4-6 hours of the tournament. Sometimes the only thing I wait after I woke up is new tournaments ;D

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just don't play a couple of days

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive got it bad sooooo bad, im hot for poker:star:

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything is simple for me. no mood - I do not play. poker is not a job for me

S

scindor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break and come back even stronger :)

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By watching some high stakes poker cash game videos on YouTube.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing I do is change it up , play some spins or sit and go. Quick games.

Or I take a break & play guitar , sing some songs...eventually some poker related lyric comes to mind and I'm back in the game!

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or spend some time reading posts like this and getting in my chat quota for the week ;)

Last edited:
Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play for distraction and fun. I don't play with the intention of winning and winning. I obviously like to play well and win. but this game has its part of chance that sometimes even playing correctly they are lost with good hands and big pots.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to read some, whether it be poker books or just articles. And watch some poker videos too. And if possible, try to catch up with some poker buddies, who I can whine too, and hopefully get some words of encouragement. :)