What are the causes of a person becoming addicted to poker?

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People get addicted to all kinds of gambling. Poker is no exception even though there is much more skill than in other types of gambling. There is a certain allure to poker that people really gravitate to even when they don't know what they are doing in any meaningful way. I think it has more to do with the fact they are in much more control of the outcome they can still blame luck even when they are consistent losers, but when they win they can say they outplayed everyone.

M

mawoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A side question

A side question would be if you are playing someone who is addicted to gambling and they are just giving their money away what do you do? Do you keep taking their money or refuse on moral grounds? I once read a pro (it was either Phil Helmuth or Phil Gorden) who said you can fell sorry for them but they are going to give their money away to someone so it might as well be you. I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A side question would be if you are playing someone who is addicted to gambling and they are just giving their money away what do you do? Do you keep taking their money or refuse on moral grounds? I once read a pro (it was either Phil Helmuth or Phil Gorden) who said you can fell sorry for them but they are going to give their money away to someone so it might as well be you. I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

It might as well be you, not like you can stop people from making bad decisions, but you can position yourself to take advantage of it. You are just enabling people when you keep them from the consequences of their actions.

starvinghelp

starvinghelp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The endorphins in the brain react when positive thing enter it giving you a temporary emotional high. if you just started playing poker and go deep in a tournament or cashout in a SNG this triggers the endorphins making you want more.

L

Litosfrank17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a psychological fact, thanks for commenting