Weighing on my mind.

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I initially came for the freeroll passwords, I have found that the information that I get here is far more valuable than the payouts for the freerolls.

So I am liking this site, a good thing, but something has been weighing on my mind. I have read, and understand, that it is helpful to discuss your play (Hand analysis, strategy, leaks, motives and whatnot) with others who know your play. However, when playing together, wouldn't that give an edge to the player(s) who help you to strengthen your game. I can understand it from a point of view of helping each other out if you are not playing in the same games, but don't quite get it if we are playing in the same ones.

If you know where my leeks are, wouldn't you exploit them? (I would yours) Isn't part of the challenge of being a good poker player being able to read your opponent, but if you know more about my game than I do about yours, doesn't that give you an edge over me, or vice versa. But by the same notion, wouldn't studying the game of a pro (especially a televised one) give us an edge over them.

Perhaps the answer lies in practicing together in low stakes games, and then going for the real money where we are unknowns.

Any thoughts?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have thought the same thing. I am afraid people will not tell you (or me) EVERYTHING to make our games better. But, I don't pay enough attention to what is said already, so leaving something out is no biggie!

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aloha Insom,

I don't really think of it as an edge when you play the people from here, I look at it as they critique my play and so that makes me not make those same mistakes/leaks when I play against them.

I don't know but our forum games are the best tourneys I've ever played as far as play is concerned, and thats because everyone pretty much knows each others styles and adjust their game accordingly, also there are people here LOL that I try to avoid LMFAO, but I also found that reading posts in the forum from the members that regularly play in our trnys has given me some good info on their play also. Me being more reader than poster.

I don't know if it all makes sense, had a few so maybe tomorrow I'll be like wtf did I post :)

Have a great night

Aloha

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I initially came for the freeroll passwords, I have found that the information that I get here is far more valuable than the payouts for the freerolls.

So I am liking this site, a good thing, but something has been weighing on my mind. I have read, and understand, that it is helpful to discuss your play (Hand analysis, strategy, leaks, motives and whatnot) with others who know your play. However, when playing together, wouldn't that give an edge to the player(s) who help you to strengthen your game. I can understand it from a point of view of helping each other out if you are not playing in the same games, but don't quite get it if we are playing in the same ones.

If you know where my leeks are, wouldn't you exploit them? (I would yours) Isn't part of the challenge of being a good poker player being able to read your opponent, but if you know more about my game than I do about yours, doesn't that give you an edge over me, or vice versa. But by the same notion, wouldn't studying the game of a pro (especially a televised one) give us an edge over them.

Perhaps the answer lies in practicing together in low stakes games, and then going for the real money where we are unknowns.

Any thoughts?
Unless one is an expert player (or even pro), it is very hard to put a player on exact tendancies. Players like us who are always learning tend to change our game in order to improve. When I first started playing in CC games with the folks here, I became known for being too tight. Then this year, I got the reputation of being too loose and too aggressive. Now, I'm looking for a happy medium. In fact, a good player is one who can switch gears and even adapt their game to the current table's tendancies.

I personally don't share my favorite moves during public analysis (or my videos). But in analyzed situations regarding odds etc., there is usually only one right answer.

In short: I wouldn't worry about giving up secrets until you are really, really good.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I doubt some one not telling me about some super secret reverse psychology trick to control my opponents mind and fold when I go all-in with 72o is going to matter much at the stakes I play at since people will prolly call anyways... Although if any of you would like to teach me this technique I'd really really appreciate it!

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be happy to share my 'secrets' - if I had any... :D

I don't really think there are any true secrets, just playing 'tips'. When, where and how you apply those tips is the key. What you might learn from player 'x' would work when UTG, but not necessarily in MP, etc.

When you encounter that player whose 'tip' you just read at your table, you can bet their game is never card for card, bet for bet, exactly as represented. Just when you think you know what they are doing, they are bluffing instead.

When we all get to the same HS cash table, we can use all that we have learned here (and then modify it)... :cool:

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a degree of innocuous truth to what you are saying, but let's not forget that posting and replying is a 2 way street. If you're really willing to learn, and posting HH's implies that you are, you may learn as much about your potential opponents by how they respond as they do by your querry. In fact, by posting one HH, you may get several replies, each of which could potentially give you an advantage over those opponents. But, IMO, there's a value in contributing to the community by both posting and commenting that far outstrips any advantage anyone might gain. I know it helped my game. Besides, you could always just avoid forum events. But then you'd be missing out on alot of fun.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides, you could always just avoid forum events. But then you'd be missing out on alot of fun.

That is really the point - we play these to win, but the fun part is most important. I don't think most of us really count on the forum events to build our bankroll. We play to win and when we cash it is great. When we lose - well it was money invested in fun. However I still learn a lot in these games. And with my reputation for being tight as hell I can easily get away with bluffs most of the time, so it can work to your benefit sometimes too.

Most of the players here play ring games and bigger money tournaments to build their bankrolls. If we play some of these together once in a while it is still fun but more serious. And of course in MTT'S we are not even on the same tables a lot of the time.

In summary - I wouldn't give it much thought at all. You can learn so much here to improve your game - it will counter any occasional losses you may suffer because one of us reads you correctly in a forum event.

rainsoaked

rainsoaked

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's a phase or something but I'm finding that the more open I am about my game, the better defined it's becoming. And it's fluid anyway, isn't it? I think we can pick up on tendencies (maybe) the more we play together and discuss but I don't think it gives away a thinking player's whole game. It might look like it's safe to steal my blinds 'cause I don't seem to defend often enough, for instance. Whether it really is safe................(ok, it probably is, couldn't think of another example this early)

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It might look like it's safe to steal my blinds 'cause I don't seem to defend often enough, for instance. Whether it really is safe................(ok, it probably is, couldn't think of another example this early)

LOL

Thanks all for your input, all valid points.

I have pretty much opted to use freerolls for education, and not profit (not that I would mind more ITM finishes...) I have long term goals and with the internet gambleing laws the way they are, I don't expect to be building a bankroll on line. So fun and education it is:D