Status
Not open for further replies.
calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$100 says you have an insignificant sample size.

What would a significant sample size be to you?
And if you really think you can do better in the $200 freerolls on carbon than the $10 MTT'S. You must be really really really good and quite lucky.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think you quite get the concept of ROI, buy in, or field size...
playing a freeroll with 1000's of people is not the same as playing a $10 with 79 runners, which is really more of a sng.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're crazy.
You're stupid.
You have ZERO idea where your profit comes from.
You have ZERO desire to learn where your profit comes from.
The only thing you want is win when you're ahead.
You should learn to play chess.
Poker is not for you.

lmaothread, bury him WV! :adore:

I honestly don't get how you don't want to get it in as a 85% favourite, but would rather get it in on a flip?

from a few of your other posts, your logic is flawed.

in this business, we like donkeys/fish/spewtards.. without variance they'd all stop playing and you'd be left with the good players/players that think they're pro's/and Patrick Antonius etc.. you don't want that.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CC brings the lolz so much

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call me crazy call me stupid but I would rather play against better players than beginners. I do much better in MTT'S of $10 or more than I do in the $200 freerolls.

Your crazy and stupid. ( you said I could). Poker is about the long run. If you play enough tournaments and you actually play well ( I suspect that you don't) you will win money against weak fields. It doesn't matter what happens in an individual hand as long as you made the correct decision. If you consistently get it in as a favorite than you will win in the long run.

If you truly don't understand how variance and equity work and are unwilling or unable to learn about them than quit for your own sake.

D

DEdwardsNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And if you really think you can do better in the $200 freerolls on carbon than the $10 MTT'S. You must be really really really good and quite lucky.

If you are defining "do better" as you make more money, then you truly don't understand ROI. If you can beat $10 MTTs for a decent ROI then obviously you are going to make more money than say $1 MTTs or freerolls as the investment is exponenentially higher.

There is a reason that Phil Ivey doesn't waste his time playing $10 MTTs and its not because he can't figure out how to beat the idiots in that game.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your crazy and stupid. ( you said I could). Poker is about the long run. If you play enough tournaments and you actually play well ( I suspect that you don't) you will win money against weak fields. It doesn't matter what happens in an individual hand as long as you made the correct decision. If you consistently get it in as a favorite than you will win in the long run.

If you truly don't understand how variance and equity work and are unwilling or unable to learn about them than quit for your own sake.

I really don't think you guys understand what I am trying to convey to you so I will try to make it clearer. The dynamics behind tournament play and cash play are so different. They cannot even be compared as to what is the right move at a certain time. For one instance if I am in the BB with AA on a 10 player table in a 10 player $100 sng. And all the other players move in before me. I would fold my AA. There would be 9 players going to the flop. I would be almost guaranteed second place earnings. In a cash game if the same thing happened I would be in no problem hoping for that huge return on my investment. Hell I would be all in with 23 if that happened in a cash game hoping to get paid 10 to 1. In tourney play only so many spots get paid. You have to do your damdest to make sure you get one of those spots. Because bubble boy and beyond get nothing nada zero zip. I fold so many hands in tourney play that would be a raisable hand in a cash game it is not even funny.
I don't expect you to agree with me I really just try to take minimal risks. And when I'm sitting in the BB with KK and I have 1 all in before me that is a risk I will take. It just got me upset when dude who was no way short stack or in need of chips turns over 45 and beats me. After spending 3 hours to make it to a FT. and ultimately costing me my shot at first prize money. I really do not see any pro busting all in UTG with 45 the first hand of reaching the wsop FT.
So understandably I was upset and started this post.
Forgive me for being crazy and stupid:)

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are defining "do better" as you make more money, then you truly don't understand ROI. If you can beat $10 MTTs for a decent ROI then obviously you are going to make more money than say $1 MTTs or freerolls as the investment is exponenentially higher.

There is a reason that Phil Ivey doesn't waste his time playing $10 MTTs and its not because he can't figure out how to beat the idiots in that game.

No when I say do better I mean Finish better, I play a wide range of buy ins To be honest I don't expect to ever make a fortune playing poker. I do it for the rush I get. But I do manage not to lose a ton of money either which enables me to enjoy poker when I want with out having to file bankruptcy:)

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't think you guys understand what I am trying to convey to you so I will try to make it clearer. The dynamics behind tournament play and cash play are so different. They cannot even be compared as to what is the right move at a certain time. For one instance if I am in the BB with AA on a 10 player table in a 10 player $100 sng. And all the other players move in before me. I would fold my AA. There would be 9 players going to the flop. I would be almost guaranteed second place earnings. In a cash game if the same thing happened I would be in no problem hoping for that huge return on my investment. Hell I would be all in with 23 if that happened in a cash game hoping to get paid 10 to 1. In tourney play only so many spots get paid. You have to do your damdest to make sure you get one of those spots. Because bubble boy and beyond get nothing nada zero zip. I fold so many hands in tourney play that would be a raisable hand in a cash game it is not even funny.
I don't expect you to agree with me I really just try to take minimal risks. And when I'm sitting in the BB with KK and I have 1 all in before me that is a risk I will take. It just got me upset when dude who was no way short stack or in need of chips turns over 45 and beats me. After spending 3 hours to make it to a FT. and ultimately costing me my shot at first prize money. I really do not see any pro busting all in UTG with 45 the first hand of reaching the WSOP FT.
So understandably I was upset and started this post.
Forgive me for being crazy and stupid:)

You don't seem to understand that the math doesn't change in tourney's vs. cash. 85% equity is 85% equity regardless. You want to get it in ahead and if you do it often enough than you will win money. Yes, 15% of the time you will bust. Then you enter another tournament and try again, or in a cash game reload and keep playing. That's why MTT grinders play more than one tourney at a time (online of course) you have to play enough volume to have the variance even out. Here's a hint IT TAKES A LOT OF VOLUME.

Put in lots of hands against bad players

Profit.

Easy game.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't seem to understand that the math doesn't change in tourney's vs. cash. 85% equity is 85% equity regardless. You want to get it in ahead and if you do it often enough than you will win money. Yes, 15% of the time you will bust. Then you enter another tournament and try again, or in a cash game reload and keep playing. That's why MTT grinders play more than one tourney at a time (online of course) you have to play enough volume to have the variance even out. Here's a hint IT TAKES A LOT OF VOLUME.

Profit.

Easy game.

I'm quite sure that AA does not have 85% equity against 9 players.
Bottom line though I get what you are saying you are going to lose hands that are a huge preflop favorite. No matter what and you have to take that gamble. That is poker.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmaotard..

Bottom line though I get what you are saying you are going to lose hands that are a huge preflop favorite. No matter what and you have to take that gamble. That is poker.

I swear you just changed your opinion?! You've wasted the whole thread saying that you DON'T like doing this, I'm confused as to how you're profitable at all. Lol back tracking much?

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I swear you just changed your opinion?! You've wasted the whole thread saying that you DON'T like doing this, I'm confused as to how you're profitable at all. Lol back tracking much?

I believe this may be a sudden realization of great truth.

At least I hope so for Calicards' sake.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you living in a mansion from your poker winnings? If so more power to you. If not get off the band wagon and chill out:)

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe this may be a sudden realization of great truth.

At least I hope so for Calicards' sake.
I take in everything I read here there is a lot of good stuff.:)

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you living in a mansion from your poker winnings? If so more power to you. If not get off the band wagon and chill out:)

I'm perfectly chilled, just getting a little annoyed seeing you in every post arguing with Blue, WV or someone else who knows what they're doing.

If I was in a mansion from poker winnings I wouldn't be on here, fact is I'm here to learn. YOUR here to argue, repeat your posts and back track after you realise the massive mistakes you've made.

I might just move over to Cake poker if YOU class the players over there as donks, sounds like their giving money away.

Good luck HU against Blue as well if you don't back out. I'd love to see this tbh.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Solid reasoning ITT.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I wasn't talking about your stupid 9 player scenario just making the point that if you get it in good you will win ultimately. Against 9 other players shoving any two cards you have less than 50 percent equity but you have more equity than any other individual player. Again, over a big enough sample size you would end up a winner.

Edit: Assuming you have AA in your example.

Last edited:
D

DEdwardsNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No when I say do better I mean Finish better

Well if you compare your average finishing position of $11 MTTs that probably have 100 or 200 runners to a $200 Freeroll that probably has 2000-3000 runners then of course you are going to finish higher. You are comparing apples to oranges now. That's like me saying I finish higher in $200 9 man SnGs than I do in $10 MTTs so I'm better at those.

And if you are saying that you can consistantly finish higher in $11 MTTs with 2000 entrants vs. a Freeroll with 2000 entrants, then you are doing something very very wrong in the freerolls.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Profit.

Easy game.
While the bold letters are true.ICM and moveing up pay spots (FT bubble for example) is more important in a tourney than equity in one given pot rather than in cash.Though this is not a spot to care about it imo.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Something Poker Orifice said in one of his posts got me to thinking about the traffic flow of the online sites. He has stated a couple of times not to play on Friday or Saturday nights. I also noticed that there is a lot of really poor play on the weekends as well.
Yes there's a difference in play > weekends vs. weekdays, as there also is at different times of the day (ie. Friday 11am vs. Friday 8pm, ... depending upon what timezone you're in along with what part of the world the majority of players are from who are on the tables).

Yes there's ALOT of poor play on the weekends.

No I didn't say to not play because of this... I might've said > expect alot of badbeats. There's a big difference.

As far as comparing results goes, it'd take a HUGE sample size to be able to do something like this (weekends vs. weekdays for MTT play/results).. so huge that you'd never personally have a sample size that would prove anything (even if one time (weekends) were far more profitable due to there being soooo many fish on the tables).

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To win a tournament you need to get all the chips. There will never be a better spot to accumulate a lot of chips than to see 8-9 all-ins before you and you have AA in the BB.

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would much rather play against better quality players. I tend to try to get crafty with my play and try to confuse my opposition, but playing against bad players you are better off playing a more "straight up" game which can become a bit monotonous.

Status
Not open for further replies.