Weakness or an addiction

S

satcitananda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A person can decide this only in case if this person understands the difference between objective and subjective.

"I like it, It's not restricted - then I will do it..." = Person can't see the problem.

"I like it, it's not restricted - I can do it, but what for? Do I have alternatives? How will it look from a side, if an alien comes to the planet just to observe this person - what will he think?" = Person can see the problem and might find the solution.

Big problem if person objectively understands what's going on, and keeps doing it, just because this person can see but can't use a better alternative. It usually happens when person is a winning player. Such human will be stuck in his personal evolution and will be living in rewind and repeat mode, ignoring infinite ways of his personal progress. Such routine is a road to depression. Person knows that he or she is not a creator, not really a follower, person is a gamer=gambler. Person is close to the real world, but is addicted to stay in safe environment and play by the different rules proposed by poker. It's much better for this person to stay away from rules of the real life, just because the world of cards offers something that is safer and easier to understand than the reality. Also if person has stepped up at the ladder of fame and wealth inside the poker world, just once then it's really hard to ignore the chance to step higher next time. There is no real difference between gamers who play something like warcraft or call of duty and gamblers who play poker or place bets on sports.

Each gambler can ask himself a simple question.

When you observe a game and see that some other player has a royal flush - what do you feel?
Can this feeling be compared to something what Pavlovs dogs felt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

Can gambler control it and get rid of it like if it's a disease? I believe that many people won't even think about it and will have no chance to decide if it's a problem or not, just because they have no information about it and poker world is not clearly giving such info. So you're wrong, when you're trying to say that "you're your own doctor". Humans can feel the symptoms, can describe them, but for some it's hard to understand where this road leads to and how to turn in the other direction.

Agreed.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first it was an addiction for me..

Then i make a good decision to relax and play for fun..

Not gambling more than i afford to lose

T

thecarpetcatcher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be both, It all depends on the person, For some it's how they make a living,

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good BR management can change an addicted in a poker player...
but anyway... it`s dangerous.... I knew some people with serious problem gambling....

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very good BR management can change an addicted in a poker player...
but anyway... it`s dangerous.... I knew some people with serious problem gambling....
But how to do that whene you are addited? Not being able to manage a bankroll is the nature of addcition.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi NewinsStars! If any Human the any Game earns money, provides yourself,
your family, help another people: what in this is a wrong?! And these people
are enough! Is this weakness or addiction?! You can to say there are lot of bad examples...
Of course! So, these examples have in any business! In the any case the all is individually!
I think, we must proceed from this. Good Luck everyone!:cool:

S

satcitananda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi NewinsStars! If any Human the any Game earns money, provides yourself,
your family, help another people: what in this is a wrong?! And these people
are enough! Is this weakness or addiction?! You can to say there are lot of bad examples...
Of course! So, these examples have in any business! In the any case the all is individually!
I think, we must proceed from this. Good Luck everyone!:cool:

In order for this person to "provide for himself, his family, and help people" this person is taking from another person. This person does not know or care about the money he is taking or the damage he may be doing to another person by taking this money. So yes, there is bad or wrong doing in the act of taking from another. You'd have to be delirious or severely biased to not see that in order for someone to profit in poker, another has to suffer a loss. But you all love dismissing the "loser" as nonexistent or unimportant or idiotic or deserving his loss because the bottom line is what's important to you, in other words the money.

Without the "loser" there are no "winners" in poker, so think about the guy you beat next time you make money and thank this "loser", who may have less money than you, and you are taking his/her money despite you having more and probably needing it less. Yes, poker is a selfish a game.... I wonder how gullible one must be to believe that poker is not a self-serving game. Mainly, the "winners" disregard, invalidate, berate, devalue the losers, even though the losers are literally providing for the winners, by losing in a game of luck.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order for this person to "provide for himself, his family, and help people" this person is taking from another person. This person does not know or care about the money he is taking or the damage he may be doing to another person by taking this money. So yes, there is bad or wrong doing in the act of taking from another. You'd have to be delirious or severely biased to not see that in order for someone to profit in poker, another has to suffer a loss. But you all love dismissing the "loser" as nonexistent or unimportant or idiotic or deserving his loss because the bottom line is what's important to you, in other words the money.

Without the "loser" there are no "winners" in poker, so think about the guy you beat next time you make money and thank this "loser", who may have less money than you, and you are taking his/her money despite you having more and probably needing it less. Yes, poker is a selfish a game.... I wonder how gullible one must be to believe that poker is not a self-serving game. Mainly, the "winners" disregard, invalidate, berate, devalue the losers, even though the losers are literally providing for the winners, by losing in a game of luck.

Hi satcitananda! Based on everything You wrote, I have a few questions:
1. Did You write this about yourself?
2. Are You loser?!.
3. Or did You came in Poker to win?
If You won't to win, means You are loser. If You want to win, means You take
money at others, what, as You write is very bad... Therefore a last question:
Then why do You play in Poker?! :rolleyes: In the Poker You win or lose: the third
is not given! That's all! You think about this at leisure, bro!;):cool:

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Gambling isn't either of those things by itself.

Jeopardy champion James Holzhauer is a pro sports gambler who supported his family that way.

Many people make a living or side money playing poker.

Other break even or lose money but have a great time playing in home games or Vegas trips.

While there are definitely people who have gambling addictions and should get help for it, for many or most who gamble, it's neither a weakness nor an addiction.

I agree, I don't see poker as either of these things. I play as a hobby and spend what extra money I put aside for poker. As of today I'm a losing player, but I'm down a $2500 in my poker life. Not to bad considering I didn't try to improve my game for years.

S

satcitananda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi satcitananda! Based on everything You wrote, I have a few questions:
1. Did You write this about yourself?
2. Are You loser?!.
3. Or did You came in Poker to win?
If You won't to win, means You are loser. If You want to win, means You take
money at others, what, as You write is very bad... Therefore a last question:
Then why do You play in Poker?! :rolleyes: In the Poker You win or lose: the third
is not given! That's all! You think about this at leisure, bro!;):cool:

As you can see, I don't believe in "winners" and "losers" in poker. The quotation marks around those words mean that I don't think a "losing" player is a "loser" or a "winning" player is a "winner".

1) I wrote it partly about myself and partly about many others who are "losing" players.

2) I don't believe in anybody being a "winner" or "loser" in life. We're all just people figuring things out in this world. By the way it's pretty rude to ask someone whether they're a loser or not. Try not to ask such questions if you want people to treat you with respect.

3) Obviously everyone that comes into poker comes to win and make money, not lose money. The intention, I'm sure, with most if not all poker players is to win money instead of losing it.

4) I currently play poker for too many personal reasons which I do not wish to discuss with you.

It's obvious that you either win or lose in poker, but sometimes you split pots too. You think about eating some mushrooms at leisure, maybe then you'll see the truth about poker.

P

Psycho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling can be an addiction and I think poker is an addiction for most players. It's a complicated subject, but the psychology behind it is that people chase wins to fill an unconscious void within themselves. I used to be one of those people. I worked on myself over the years and overcame that issue. Now I play professionally for a living.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing online poker can indeed be a weakness on unregulated sites. Who's to say what is really going on.
Live poker is what it seems, you see all the action, a bad beat is just a bad beat, and a bad night is just a bad night.
Cardschat freerolls are the only definitely clean online games that I've encountered.
Good luck.

P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was addicted to football manager (seriousuly) but i hope its over

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling of any sort can be made worse or become a problem if a person becomes addicted to it. The best thing to do if there is a problem with it affection ones life is to stop. Well that is easier said than done. Gambling activates feel good chemicals in our brain and it doesn't take long to become both a weakness or an addiction. Being broke and being depressed are two examples of problems that come out of a gambling addiction..Just don't do it if you can help it!

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was addicted to slots

Addition is when something controls a person, they will behave in ways they normally would not. It results in selfishness and self centered thinking and usually results in destructive behaviour. Thank God I beat the addiction.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is just a game after all. It can be used for many different purposes by the different players. Some play it for fun and relax, other try to earn money from it and some are addicted gamblers. I do not agree that poker is useless. It is competitive game just like many other and there is nothing wrong to use your free time and spare money to play poker (if it is not excessive) or to try to live from it (if you are good enough). Poker indeed gives you some useful skills for your life if you want to learn like emotion control, better understanding of people and the ability to perform better under pressure.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
when you like something it becomes an addiction everything is in the seriousness that you have in doing so in this case in poker because there is money in between and if you only do it for fun or to live from this

Sokolik

Sokolik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's an addiction. But this is only my personal opinion.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gambling is addiction, it’s the same as alcohol and cigarettes, it’s also hard to quit.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My personal opinion is that anything in life can become an addiction. It’s up to the individual to decide where to draw the line . Find a balance with whatever you are doing and if you ever see yourself overdoing something just take like a two week break . I usually find that works for me , cause I come back with a different perspective and totally more in control. If you have a addiction problem just try that . I know some things mite be hard to stop doing for 2 weeks but try it and see if it works for you too .

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling isn't either of those things by itself.

Jeopardy champion James Holzhauer is a pro sports gambler who supported his family that way.

Many people make a living or side money playing poker.

Other break even or lose money but have a great time playing in home games or Vegas trips.

While there are definitely people who have gambling addictions and should get help for it, for many or most who gamble, it's neither a weakness nor an addiction.

I totally agree with you and I think people could be addicted to so many things that we can’t blame games for this reason .

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People who gamble are simply not good at math. It's pretty much that simple.

People who are good at math understand why they call it GAMBLING and generally stay away from table games unless they have so much money in the bank they simply don't care about losing a bit of it. They consider playing blackjack and craps and roulette to be "entertainment". Since losing money doesn't matter to them, it's not really gambling for those rich people. It's like going to a movie. People who aren't rich and who are hoping to "hit it big" at the tables and "change their life" are delusional... and they clearly don't understand math. :)

P.S. Poker is NOT gambling, and anyone who says it is also doesn't understand the math. :) Poker is a skill game with a large gambling element, but statistical variance in the game approaches zero as number of trials approaches infinity... which is why it is a skill game instead of a gambling game... that's a little math for ya. ;-)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn’t addiction a weakness?