Is "Variance" just another term for "Luck"?

Jericho1991

Jericho1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PG
Chips
Can someone help me understand please? I think I have a very bad variance.. I think so. lol

iman_wd

iman_wd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EE
Chips
important strategy is to focus on playing in games with lower variance. This may mean choosing games with lower stakes or games with fewer players. By reducing the variance in your games, you can reduce the impact of short-term luck on your results .

Jericho1991

Jericho1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PG
Chips
important strategy is to focus on playing in games with lower variance. This may mean choosing games with lower stakes or games with fewer players. By reducing the variance in your games, you can reduce the impact of short-term luck on your results .
Ok so variance is something that helps me with my luck, right? Thanks. I still don't know what variance is though.

iman_wd

iman_wd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EE
Chips
it's important to maintain a positive attitude and avoid tilt. Tilt refers to a state of emotional frustration or distress that can cause you to make poor decisions. By staying calm and focused, you can avoid making mistakes that can be costly in the long run. Remember, the key to long-term success in poker is making good decisions, not just winning every hand . and finally variance is like the marketplace you know its not every time on a straightforward directions ! it has own up and downs in a while . but you can always be profitable in long run with controlling and managing this downswings or bad variances that you said recently .

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
In poker, variance refers to the randomness of results in the short term, which can differ significantly from expected results in the long term. In other words, variance reflects the degree to which luck (or bad luck) affects the results of a game, regardless of the player's skill.

For example, if you play poker for a short period of time and are unlucky, you can lose a lot of money even if you play well. However, over a long period of time, the player's skill usually wins out over the randomness of the results, as luck evens out.

To reduce the variance in poker, you can take several actions:

Play more aggressively - playing more aggressively can force other players to fold, which will reduce the number of players in the hand and reduce the variance.

Play more cautiously - if you play more cautiously, there will be less risk of losing large amounts of money due to your opponents' luck.

Play smaller games - the smaller the game, the smaller the variance.

Play a more stable strategy - play a strategy that is more stable and predictable, rather than relying on a one-time hit of a good card or bluff.

Control your emotions - stay calm to avoid taking too many risks and stay in control of your game.

Ultimately, although variance is inevitable in poker, by taking the above steps, you can reduce its impact on your game's results.

Jericho1991

Jericho1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PG
Chips
it's important to maintain a positive attitude and avoid tilt. Tilt refers to a state of emotional frustration or distress that can cause you to make poor decisions. By staying calm and focused, you can avoid making mistakes that can be costly in the long run. Remember, the key to long-term success in poker is making good decisions, not just winning every hand . and finally variance is like the marketplace you know its not every time on a straightforward directions ! it has own up and downs in a while . but you can always be profitable in long run with controlling and managing this downswings or bad variances that you said recently .
gotcha. Thanks buddy.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
let me try. poker variance is the resulting statistics of your chances or odds or "luck" to win.

If you flip a coin a hundred times, you would expect to win 50 times. If you win 54 times, then you have experienced positive variance. If you win 46 times, you would have experienced negative variance.

Last edited:
Jericho1991

Jericho1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PG
Chips
In poker, variance refers to the randomness of results in the short term, which can differ significantly from expected results in the long term. In other words, variance reflects the degree to which luck (or bad luck) affects the results of a game, regardless of the player's skill.

For example, if you play poker for a short period of time and are unlucky, you can lose a lot of money even if you play well. However, over a long period of time, the player's skill usually wins out over the randomness of the results, as luck evens out.

To reduce the variance in poker, you can take several actions:

Play more aggressively - playing more aggressively can force other players to fold, which will reduce the number of players in the hand and reduce the variance.

Play more cautiously - if you play more cautiously, there will be less risk of losing large amounts of money due to your opponents' luck.

Play smaller games - the smaller the game, the smaller the variance.

Play a more stable strategy - play a strategy that is more stable and predictable, rather than relying on a one-time hit of a good card or bluff.

Control your emotions - stay calm to avoid taking too many risks and stay in control of your game.

Ultimately, although variance is inevitable in poker, by taking the above steps, you can reduce its impact on your game's results.
Thanks for the advice. I think I understand more now on "Variance" now. I do take those steps above but sometimes my emotions get to me. lol

Jericho1991

Jericho1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PG
Chips
let me try. poker variance is the resulting statistics or mathematics of your chances or odds or "luck" to win.

If you flip a coin a hundred times, you would expect to win 50 times. If you win 54 times, then you have experienced positive variance. If you win 46 times, you would have experienced negative variance.
I've read that somewhere. Did you read that from the same website?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Variance is a statistical term that refers to deviation from the mean. In games as Poker the variance is always present; for example: if you get AA preflop, and get another A in the flop, still there is the probability of someone getting a better hand as straight, flush, full house, straight flush, Poker, Royal flush; so there always be a probability of a "bad beat" and is attributed to the Variance, or you may call it bad luck. by playing and betting strong hands you may reduce the variance but there will always be some involved unless you get the best possible hand for a given game

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you understand everything correctly and it's right that luck is just called and told differently, but the meaning is almost the same so everything is normal for you, good luck, friend, let you be successful at poker:)

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Variance is the closest thing to poker decline and bad luck attracts players

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that term is mathematical not to mention good or bad luck hahahaha

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no such term as luck; there is a theory of the probability of a given situation. In poker, these are called variances.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought variance refers to the ups and downs of your poker results. i.e. your poker results vary

If you run good for a number of games then you will run bad for a number of games and then run good and bad again.

Variance is the results of your good and bad luck.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Is there less variance in the game of lower input value? I do not get it

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for sure is some people don´t want to admit that they are more lucky than the others.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play the same pokertournament 100 times against the same players which is at the same skill level.
you are now supposed to win 1 time out of 100 games, if you win 2 times you beat the variance (get lucky) and get more than you are supposed to get. If you do not get a win as you are supposed to you lose to variance ( get unlucky)…
so in 1000 you are supposed to win 10 times if you do not then ……

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
where, for example, in Omaha a lot depends on luck. Otherwise, a good distance heals any variance if you add a good game to it.

JeLeuMic

JeLeuMic

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is just something that happens. Like in life, variance with friends, jobs, and people..etc

iman_wd

iman_wd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EE
Chips
Is there less variance in the game of lower input value? I do not get it
When you play at lower stakes, the amount of money you stand to win or lose in each hand is smaller. This can reduce the impact of swings in luck and make the results more predictable. For example, if you're playing a $1/$2 game, you might win or lose $100 in a single hand. But if you're playing a $0.25/$0.50 game, you might only win or lose $25 in a single hand. This can help to smooth out your results over time and reduce the variance.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are a losing player your downswing will be permanent. Keep that in mind.