Tourny strategy vs. Ring strategy

Eugenius

Eugenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who can highlight some key points in the differences in strategy between ring and tourny games?

I am mostly a tourny player (SNG, STTs, MTT's, etc.) but have only recently started getting into the ring games.

I find that it's definitely easier to make $$ faster in the ring games, but, sometimes I'm not exactly sure of the "larger scale strategy" for the ring games.

In the tourney's I am used to stack size playing a large role in how I play, in the ring games I don't think that applies quite in the same way.

So, can the more experienced ring game players post up some tips?

allndave

allndave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that is a very good question and i also would like to see more questions like this and hope you get some good responses . if know one answers your question add somthing about rigged poker and then you will get lots of comments. i have found that you can also lose money faster in ring games. i guess since the blinds never go up the best strategy is to play tight and wait for a good hand but that hasn't been working for me.

Eugenius

Eugenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No love for this thread, oh well...

JRaD

JRaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if you put a naked girl somewhere in it I bet it would attract alot of attention :)

On topic: I believe if you a patient ring games will in turn create more profit, but it's a different kind of monster, it's all about picking your spot, tourney play is more about where can I get the most chips so I can grind it to the final table. Similar yet different. Oxymoron :)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I'm by no means an expert in tournaments, but I've done a fair bit of ring games play and at least understand basic tournament strategy.

The basic difference is the fact that every chip in a tournament is not equal, because survival is rewarded. Your 2nd chip is not worth as much as your 1st, and both are worth more than your 3rd chip. Using this logic, you make plays you would never make in a ring game in a tournament. You could make the case for laying down AA in a tournament, and a lot of the time it's actually profitable to call with trash like 38o. In a cash game it all revolves around ev. Blinds don't change, you can buy in as many times as you want, and all money is equal. So you want to make the plays that net you the most positive ev in the long run. Say you have JJ vs. AK (somehow you see the cards flip over) to a 259 flop late. You don't want to give them a chance to draw out so you probably overbet, hoping for a fold. In a cash game, you want to bet enough to not give them odds to call (implied odds are big too though, for example if an A or K comes. Basically the strategy should be similar to the very beginnings of a tournament, without the idiots pushing ATC who haven't been knocked out yet, but again you should be happy if you've got your money in with a 60/40 edge, because in the long run you win.

If you are familiar with poker and tournament poker, I'd look at No Limit Hold 'em, Theory and Practice by Sklansky (I think Miller too). He expects you to already understand poker, which it seems you do, and it may take a while to work through all the math if you're not familiar with some of the concepts, but it's definitely a good book for cash games. If you're a good tournament player, you're well on your way to being a good cash games player, but there are a few key differences. Good luck.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a similar thread with an article you might find interesting.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a very concise adjustment guide:

The main characteristics of ring-games compared to tournaments are:
  • Blinds are always small and stacks deep
  • You cannot get eliminated
  • You play longer with the same people
The above requires the following adjustments:
  • There are usually implied odds to draw. This makes small and medium pairs and SCs very good hands to play
  • There are usually huge reverse-implied odds for single pairs and other marginal holdings. This makes single big pairs less valuable.
  • Blind stealing is not very important
  • Pushing of marginal edges is almost always correct
  • Advertising is more important

Eugenius

Eugenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you referring to as "Advertising"? (showing your cards?)

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you referring to as "Advertising"? (showing your cards?)

That can be part of it.

But you can also advertise a particulr style of play, and then play differently.

Or you can just simply utilize your image more effectively than in tourneys since you play with the same players. For example, if you play tightly, your bluffs will be more successful. And if you play loosely, your big hands will get paid more.