Top 10 Poker Tells - Win a Set of Books!

K

kingarthurrov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh good information!!

Thanks Dakota for good thing.

I’m beginner for poker now.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me there are two types of online tells that I've picked up constantly.

#1 is the check-raise all in for a massive overbet on a draw heavy board or a very weak board. I'm pretty sure 19 times out of 20 this is a pure bluff or semi-bluff with someone not wanting to hit their draw, but want to win the hand right there - or it's someone with 65o or 54o that hit a pair and figure us for two overcards.

#2 is site specific. Sometimes poker rooms will offer promotions to winning a hand holding specific cards - 888 is famous in their promotions for doing this, but Stars has ventured into that realm recently. AK for example, and someone jams 100BB cold UTG. It's obvious what they have - they want to win their one hand and get out. So you wake up to TT and you know you're flipping.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like live poker, because you can read the opponent, see the strategy used. So we must have played several times with those opponents to get to know the style of play and how they play with different hands. But I also like the online poker because here you play faster and yet we see many more hands than live.

EPT remember to Negrau when he learned that the opponent had AA, it was amazing how he knew and foldeo his AJ.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with all about live poker... As far as online poker is concerned, we do not have much tells..I think players mostly use-timing tells

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Tells

Thank you for sharing the article and online card chat additions to the list. I plan to observe the timing before and after the flop more now and also took notes from your article.:pcguru:

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You forgot reverse tell. Then double reverse tell - real tell again. When you realize opponent noticed your reverse tell. Then some mix - when noone realizes where is real tell, where is false.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet-sizing is the most useful one for me. The way bets are sized to indicate certain hands is usually the most important tell for me to pay attention too. I've noticed that a lot of good players try to maintain consistent betting to not give away information on their hands. For example, in a recent tourament I had a read on a player that would try to play slow with big hands. Standard minimum raise and fired 3 coninuous reasonable bets to show aces. A few hands down the road, he leads out preflop with 5 times the big blind. I have jacks. Normally jacks aren't great but this bet looked like he didn't want a caller. I raise to 12 BB, he comes over the top, I call and he shows pocket 88s. Players, myself included, show our tendencies in our betting patterns if we are not careful. The funny thing is about tells, if this player was aware of this tell, he could have used it against me. Knowing that he just trapped with Aces, a hand like AK or KK or aces again would have been disguised with an overbet.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
PS Dakota can we instead of sending the books accept me as a freeroll club member?:D:D:D

Hee hee hee hee... Nice BLuff! 'or' perhaps just a bad-timing tell.

Maybe Dakota hasn't seen your post yet... probably because she's 'multi-posting' &/or mathematically grouping posts she's planning on reading. :confused:

My addition to the online tells is >>>
When you see ANY player suggest the site is RIGGED in the chatbox, you can assuredly mark this player with the color 'brown', insinuating that his level of skill is equivalent to doggy poop.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hee hee hee hee... Nice BLuff! 'or' perhaps just a bad-timing tell.

Maybe Dakota hasn't seen your post yet... probably because she's 'multi-posting' &/or mathematically grouping posts she's planning on reading. :confused:

My addition to the online tells is >>>
When you see ANY player suggest the site is RIGGED in the chatbox, you can assuredly mark this player with the color 'brown', insinuating that his level of skill is equivalent to doggy poop.

I was hoping to take the pot on the flop, but then turn came and Whiskers77 made a better hand than mine:smile::smile:

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really good tips , immediate calls especially give a lot of information because opponent is on a straight or flush draw in likely to happen when doing these quick calls , so personally I prefer to take few seconds before doing my move even if I want to quick call etc , it makes you avoid even a little bit giving tells to others .Also in live concerning eye contact , I played few cash games and I was always trying to not maintain eye contact too much in both situations bluffing or having a good hand .

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
never played live poker. in online with a strong hand I always check the rival on 3-bet and a double barrel. weak hands try to put bounce. I try to remember the way other players play and never use chat.

K

kingarthurrov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like watching derr and ivey in events from youtube.

They tell me teach bluff .

And try to do in my tournament.

Different poker online and poker live .

Tell me hard player in pokerstar.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I like to make immediate calls with strong hands hoping that the villain will think that I am weak, I don't do it every time, I like to mix it up.

;)

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I agree that reading tells in online poker is very hard task!
Not mentioning how frequently we did catch the bluff, and even though the opponent wins the hand :p
But whatever hand I have - I am always trying to use minimum time for my bet. Never using time bank unless I am in big doubt - is my hand worth to fight for!

Concentrating more on my bluffs, when applicable - hope you will all enjoy this one :D
https://www.boomplayer.com/27694229_E6E3CAB0F0

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very interesting article.
As far as it concerns live poker I have to admit that my experience is extremely limited to home games, as there are limited and very expensive options for live games here.
On the other hand, online poker tells are extremely unreliable in my opinion. I mean that people might use chat as a weapon or just take too long to decide because they are multi-tabling or -tasking. So, bottom line, this is another poker-related theme where the only rule is: "it depends".

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some of this need players to be in a real table not online, i never played in real table before , but its good to learn that before going there,

immediate calls and bets are always good to make a good bluff, but something its turn to chaos when a player have a good hand, i try to avoid doing it especially that players now knows all kind of tricks on poker,

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like to play live, I think it is a bit boring, while online poker, allows you to play several tables at the same time. Playing live I think he has more strategy and body reading of the villain.

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the 10 points are correct, I like the point 3 "immediate calls" because I usually use it :)
I use this point both online and in live games.
but in the live game I usually do not play much.
I think I'll take a psychology course hahahaha

milencenov

milencenov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Almost all of those "tells" fall into the scope of the note after them. "Player dependent"...

Which means... they are NOT tells at all !

"Ah yes, he can be doing A, but he can be doing B"... And the sum of A and B covers all 100% of possible scenarios...

"He may be bluffing, but he may have a strong hand"...

I will add a real tell for online poker:

If you somehow make the dubious decision to call pre-flop, and the BB used the automatic check/fold option, he had cr*p. Such cr*p that he was ready to auto-fold, if you were smart enough to raise...
So, if A-10-2 rainbow appear, and he bets half-pot OOP, I'd rather put him on a bluff, than on a very strong hand.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kinda feel like I am telling my little secret here but lets hope only cardschat players see that.:p

This tell works wonders for me 90% of the time and its a combination of online timing and betting tell. When you are heads up and your opponent check the flop in a normal set of time, and then at the turn he takes a whole lot of time to just check the turn then you should bet the turn with whatever your cards are and you more likely to see a fold than if he checked back at normal time or checked quick.

I believe thats because he either hit something weak and takes time to think if it is worth betting and since he didnt bet, he hope you dont bet and ready to fold if you bet. Or either he didnt hit anything and trying to project that he is thinking of betting or setting a trap so he can see cheaply a river and if you check he intent to bluff the river. Or he just take the time to think if its worth bluffing and concludes that is not.

You have to take account that I am talking about low stakes here, I dont know if this holds true for higher stakes that there are bets in every street.
Yes, you correctly say in most cases it is. but it all depends on the players I try to play every time different can and Kare (9999) about cecati to the end and can all in to leave. it all depends on who is sitting against me (usually it becomes clear after 10 hands of cards) . and not long ago I had a problem with the bet after the flop. I'm working on it now. in General, you are all right to write for what you thank you for beginners it will be a good help. (I vote for something that would prize second you)):)

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not play a lot of live poker, but most certainly these behaviors and attitudes make us change our mind when we are about to implement some strategy. I do not think I would be a good live poker player because I'm very nervous.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Defensive Chip Handling is a powerful weapon because you are mentally playing with the villain. If he does not have a strong mind, or a weak player, he will be afraid to bluff most of the time. I think it's a good weapon to use at Poker Live.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that when they started with poker the idea was a skillful player playing against a lot of fish, it was a way of making money from players who did not understand the mechanics of the game .... today with the most well-educated players about it of the game ... as the members here of CardsChat .... we have some advantage over the adversary in this scenario when the least favorable move wins

B

Badbunny

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tels is right.Muchos of us tend to bet immediately when we have an AK, AQ without thinking about what will be the villain and by that I include my. That's why I'll stick with the saying "bet immediately" because often I run.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not have any opinion, since I play amateur online, I have not read books (I am weak in English), there are no books in my language or they are rare, so in this topic I am weak, sometimes when I play a bit more tournaments I am surprised with some cards played by some players.

Poker Tells