Thoughts on Poker Possibly Being an Olympic Sport?

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is barely a sport, kinda like Canadian football, chess, ect.. silly for an Olympic sport. The U.S would dominate in another sport #unfair

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly, making a category for mind games could work. Huge difference from being an athlete vs having intellectual athleticism.

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even think poker should be considered a sport in the first place. Competition yes, sport? No...

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The Olympics are filled with enough drugged athletes already. How many poker players will submit to drug testing in order to represent their country?

I just don't see it. Not enough "sporting" action to add any value to the Olympics.

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that since Chess is recognized as an Olympic sport than Poker could definitely be right up there! Especially since both games require mental stamina!

W

winston kay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker a Olympic sport? That would be a lot of sweating.......

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our government commission responsible for gambling regulation describes poker as "sport game with elements of gambling". Exactly due to this element of gambling (or luck if you wish) poker can not become ever olympic sport. It is the same like adding 100m track athletics discipline in which every player have slightly different distance to run based on chance (for example between 90 and 110 meters).

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I love poker, I would not want to see it as an Olympic sport. I do think it would be interesting to see some country based team poker tournaments I don't think the Olympics is the place to hold them.

Lupu Anatolie

Lupu Anatolie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me a ridiculous idea but as a chance to get to the Olympic games together with the athletes who work to accept it)))

palinho07

palinho07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not possible. The 100% guarantee that this will never happen :)

But imagine that this is happening.
Select two representatives for the largest countries you would send to the Olympic Games.

So two representatives from USA, canada, france, Great Britain, germany, etc.

What is your choice? :D:D

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What we do with Daniel Negreanu. How to share him between Canada and USA? :D

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not possible. The 100% guarantee that this will never happen
This is what they said about e-sports, look at it now. You can get professional athlete visa's for playing computer games now days - even university scholarships, yes, scholarships.. I personally think poker is more of real sport than something like league of legends.

But a part of the Olympics is a big call - I doubt that, at least not anytime soon. That is a physical sporting arena, not a mental one.

palinho07

palinho07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what they said about e-sports, look at it now. You can get professional athlete visa's for playing computer games now days - even university scholarships, yes, scholarships.. I personally think poker is more of real sport than something like league of legends.

But a part of the Olympics is a big call - I doubt that, at least not anytime soon. That is a physical sporting arena, not a mental one.
You are right about it. But i wrote 100% about Olympic games.

palinho07

palinho07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better question is if poker will be recognized as a sport. Not if poker will be an Olympic discipline. :)

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Making poker an oplympic sport is easy: rewrite the greek history like in 1984
2) Getting support (votes) from OIC is also easy: lobby with free stay in vegas with wsop ticket. Not too difficult to find IOC members who are interested.
3) Democracy will do the rest.

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Poker has far too much luck to actually find out who's the best from a single Olympic tourney.
2) It's very hard to definitively say who the strongest players are to know who should be a part of an Olympic game.
3) Poker is not physically exerting so allowing poker to be an Olympic sport would require a total rebranding of what the Olympics is.

I can think of a lot of other reasons as well but I don't think poker belongs as an Olympic sport. It might be good for the game if it did but honestly I can't see it ever happening and personally I wouldn't want it to.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't see this happening. If chess isn't in I don't see poker having a chance for a lot of reasons

prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the purpose is to totally marginalize the Olympics, then right on.