Thoughts on Poker Possibly Being an Olympic Sport?

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I cannot see poker ever being an Olympic event.

But to name a few, they have
Synchronized swimming
Rhythmic gymnastics
Dressage (I like watching it, but it's more about the horse)
Trampoline
so why not poker.

If it were included, I'd have an outside chance of representing my country at the Olympics. I'd have no show at all the other events.

Bring it on, I say.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot see poker ever being an Olympic event.

But to name a few, they have
Synchronized swimming
Rhythmic gymnastics
Dressage (I like watching it, but it's more about the horse)
Trampoline
so why not poker.

If it were included, I'd have an outside chance of representing my country at the Olympics. I'd have no show at all the other events.

Bring it on, I say.
Er... Do you know what is called unknown outcome... Bad beat... Cooler hand... Variance if it's a short term game to decide winner?

I would say though, that if they made 6-tabling cash games a real sport I may one day get gold medal for winnings in X amount of hands. I'm going to become the kingpin of 6-tabling full ring cash games.

If it's tournament format, I will be disgusted and feel ashamed for the poker community for even wanting that much luck to decide an Olympic medal.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are the actual reasons to exclude poker from the Olympics:

1: The gambling connotations.
2: The fact that there's no real way to show it live on TV without compromising the game itself. You or I might be happy to watch poker on TV without knowing the hole cards, Joe Public sure won't be.
3: The fact there's no precedent for allowing any other similar "mind games" that aren't tainted by gambling. Chess has never been an Olympic sport, for example. When they allow chess, then maybe you've got a shot.
4: Poker doesn't have a central governing body to do the extensive lobbying / bribing required to get a new sport into the Olympics. If anyone thinks sports come and go from the Olympics on a whim, they're dreaming.
5: The gambling connotations again. Have I mentioned how much the IOC hates hates hates gambling and anything associated with it? They won't care that a couple of courts have determined that it's legally different to lotteries or roulette.

Er... Do you know what is called unknown outcome... Bad beat... Cooler hand... Variance if it's a short term game to decide winner?

I know what you're getting at, but really how is that different to, say, a multi-rider crash happening right in front of you during a cycling race that takes you out? Coolers and variance happen in sport all the time too.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are the actual reasons to exclude poker from the Olympics:

1: The gambling connotations.
2: The fact that there's no real way to show it live on TV without compromising the game itself. You or I might be happy to watch poker on TV without knowing the hole cards, Joe Public sure won't be.
3: The fact there's no precedent for allowing any other similar "mind games" that aren't tainted by gambling. Chess has never been an Olympic sport, for example. When they allow chess, then maybe you've got a shot.
4: Poker doesn't have a central governing body to do the extensive lobbying / bribing required to get a new sport into the Olympics. If anyone thinks sports come and go from the Olympics on a whim, they're dreaming.
5: The gambling connotations again. Have I mentioned how much the IOC hates hates hates gambling and anything associated with it? They won't care that a couple of courts have determined that it's legally different to lotteries or roulette.

I know what you're getting at, but really how is that different to, say, a multi-rider crash happening right in front of you during a cycling race that takes you out? Coolers and variance happen in sport all the time too.
Actually your observational skills and reaction time (as well as training in agility to outmanoeuvre it) are all arguably possible due to the information being 'open'. If poker was cards up game, maybe just maybe it could be compared to that as a bad beat in cards up poker is identical to what you described.

Since there is information outside of your knowledge but in the knowledge of the opponent (hole cards) this is the first and foremost issue that makes it an unfair "sport"

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually your observational skills and reaction time (as well as training in agility to outmanoeuvre it) are all arguably possible due to the information being 'open'. If poker was cards up game, maybe just maybe it could be compared to that as a bad beat in cards up poker is identical to what you described.

So... are you really going to try to argue that there's no such thing as luck or variance in sports?

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
So... are you really going to try to argue that there's no such thing as luck or variance in sports?
It's about known data vs unknown data. If 100% of data is EQUALLY available to all competitors, this is able to be an Olympic sport as it's considered fair.

The hole cards are the primary reason it won't ever be an Olympic sport.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's about known data vs unknown data. If 100% of data is EQUALLY available to all competitors, this is able to be an Olympic sport as it's considered fair.

The hole cards are the primary reason it won't ever be an Olympic sport.

No they're not, but I'll repeat the actual question because you don't seem to get it. It's a yes or no question: do you think there is luck and variance in sports?

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ответ

No nowreally this ever happens 1% of 100.))))))))))

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that poker is unlikely to become an Olympic sport

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No they're not, but I'll repeat the actual question because you don't seem to get it. It's a yes or no question: do you think there is luck and variance in sports?
Not with any unseen or unobtainable information. There's not any degree of 'grey area' to the calculations made in the decision making process of one's movements in any Olympic sport. It's all available through the five senses and application of brainpower.

Due to the hole cards meaning each player is obtaining information and lacking information that others lack and obtain respectively, this makes it a corrupt game in the sense of Olympic sports.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Classifying poker as a kind of intellectual sports game is good. But this does not make poker a separate sport. A healthy body and mind can lead to better results in poker, but do not make an athlete out of a person.

L

laiomaycon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker could become an Olympic sport.

A lot of this ipositise congitado, today we can see more clearly this theme, yes poker can become a sport I have only one reason to think so is the world passion.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is extremely popular globally so.....yes but I think it is more a game than a sport.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would really like this to happen; or anything that would help improve it and get more people into it.
as for the sport thing, there are things that make it a game and things that make it a sport; in the first category there is the lack of physical effort and in the second the competitiveness

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think that the poker will become the Olympic sport. the poker in many countries is forbidden or limited in the rights. also the poker does not need it, it is self-sufficient. even it is difficult to me to present how the poker will look at the Olympic Games. and on what winter or summer?
it would be excellent if all players from the different countries could play together, but not as now.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. It does not seem like it will happen soon, but it would be very useful in Russia if the Internet is blocked if poker is recognized as an Olympic kind, then it would be easier for poker players in our country.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a topic that comes up every now and then, and I have the same reply every time. Poker won't ever become an Olympic sport, for a whole bunch of reasons. Here's just the biggest ones:

1: Poker isn't a sport

2: Poker is gambling, and the IOC hates gambling. It doesn't want gambling within a hundred miles of their precious Olympic games.

3: Even if the above weren't the massive roadblocks that they clearly are, who is going to actually do the work to make poker an Olympic sport? Real sports don't get to be in the Olympics just because someone things it'd be fun. Those sports have to actually lobby the IOC to get included (or to not get cut - think about wrestling a few years ago). That lobbying requires international governing bodies for the sports in question to do the work, ones that have funding and manpower. No such thing exists for poker.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in the near future we'll see of him in the list of Olympic disciplines

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a tough game but in the olympics hmmm abit strange

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I strongly doubt that this will ever happen.

Andrei Nesterenko1

Andrei Nesterenko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is primarily a gamble, such games will never become an Olympic sport

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is extremely popular globally so.....yes but I think it is more a game than a sport.

Yes , I think I believe the same as you do , poker is more a game , but I would love to watch it someday in the Olympics , very exciting , I would vote for that :D

Maybe , to make the Olympic Commitee accept this request , we could make poker seem more like a game if it was part of a pentathon , the poker players would have to compete each other to running , jumping , swimming , then play some tennis maybe or whatever :D (selbst would love that early in the morning haha ) , and at the end of the day play some poker :D

I can't imagine many poker players to accept this deal :(

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , I think I believe the same as you do , poker is more a game , but I would love to watch it someday in the Olympics , very exciting , I would vote for that :D

Maybe , to make the Olympic Commitee accept this request , we could make poker seem more like a game if it was part of a pentathon , the poker players would have to compete each other to running , jumping , swimming , then play some tennis maybe or whatever :D (selbst would love that early in the morning haha ) , and at the end of the day play some poker :D

I can't imagine many poker players to accept this deal :(

They would be forced to play fast since 120,000 hands need to be played for variance to even out.At the most i'v played is 30,000 hands a month....so 4 months for one match. Logistics won't work.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is so popular and without the Olympic movement,and will be included or not in an Olympic sport,to me this is disturbing...