Is there such a thing as too much poker?

L

lilturkgirl86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes diffenately poker can be highly addictive and if you dont watch yourself your be playing several hours at a time.. pretty mcuh the reason most internet poker players look so wierd, and unsocialable when their out in public

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've experienced it a time or two. It usually comes on more quickly when the cards are less than kind. A few sessions of breaking even or taking some losses over 10-12 hours is usually enough and I have to leave it alone for a few days.

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad habits creep into ones play when tired, frustrated or on tilt. It is important to manage time just like money. Eating healthy and exercise are as important in the long run. Check out Phil Ivey's health regiment.

I

Izandurrrrrr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much poker is def a bad thing, alot of the time we have already played too much and dont even realize it. Leads to bad decision making and delerious thoughts.

ammytyagi

ammytyagi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IN
Chips
I can't concentrate for that much period but I never stops when I am winning.

R

RaisingYa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often ask myself the same questions. I think when it starts to negatively impaact your life such as your financial situation or spending quality time with your family you have reached the too much poker mark. It really depends on your situation though. If I was single I would probably play way more.

U

United

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like "too much" is more of a perceptive thing.

In my opinion, "too much" is losing more than half of your stake and still continuing to play.

That may just be me though.

M

machine1984

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I stop when I am tired/getting distracted/or losing concentration.

If you have good tilt control there is no logical reason to stop after a series of bad beats. Nor is there any reason to stop after a run of wins to "bank a profit" poker is one long session separated by sleeping and eating etc.

This

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i think about this alot..kinda like asking yourself if your putting enough effort, because what is enough if we dont know if we are doing too much or too little.. people have their own ability to focus and stay tuned in, and were all different. but think of it this way. Does the person that goes and work out at the gym go there and overwork his/her body everyday.

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me i can handle too much poker good, but agression i cant handle that well. I always take a break after a large long tournement, because of the concentration and the adrenalin, but i think mostly i can handle the next tournement afterwards too.

P

pokerboss56

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean if your winning there is no such thing as too much poker.

OzRamos

OzRamos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leatherass wrote this awesome post about the effect on his brain after nearly a decade of crazy mass-multitabling: http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-blo...midt/entries/561296-this-is-my-brain-on-poker

He literally change his brains physiology in a dramatic way, much like Einstein physically developed a larger part of his brain by using it so damn much. I would assume this would happen with any activity that you do obsessively over years, but I thought Dusty's case was pretty interesting.

Not saying this is what happens to everyone, of course lol

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not as long as you are winning!! But really yes you can have to much of anything no matter how good it is or how much you enjoy it. Usually those are the things you burn out on fastest. Play when I can and want to otherwise it is always there no need to worry about anything as though I am missing out. More to life than poker.

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have almost made the experience of too much poker.
It's a time where I get in a stage of routine. I have noticed it when I was playing Double Or Nothing matches. First I won almost every match and then at the evening I almost lost every match that I tried.
I have noticed that I played casual and too much hands. I tried it again a day later and was very good. So I decided it must be my concentration.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nor is there any reason to stop after a run of wins to "bank a profit"

Guilty. I tend to do this on Bovada, and I think it's a form of metrics manipulation. I want my graph to look good which makes me feel better about my game. :ridinghor

HajiBobo

HajiBobo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good trick is to wait until you start dreaming about getting good cards, then play when you wake up. Your "luck" is better that way (really, what it means is your mind is set up to play well :)

This is not as far fetched as you may think, I have woke up during a poker dream and played online in a 10 dollar tourney and won it.(coinsidence maybe maybe not) The only thing is that in my dream I was not on a winning streak, it seemed like a bad rerun over and over again of bad beats, and some serious anxiety issues that I could not explain "was weird."

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spend a week thinking nah, there is no such thing as too much poker, then burn out so bad that by the end and I'm no good for even short sessions for months. And yet I keep doing it. Obsession bad.