ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think, in poker, we often refer to this as variance.

You can play a good strategy, but in the end, luck enters into the game in the short term. Over the longer term however, a good strategy will be a successful strategy as probability smoothes out variance over larger data sets.

Of course, you may find your luck also improves when you play fewer, but better quality, starting hands. A failing strategy might have many many reasons, but fundamentally, the most likely is that you play too many hands, particularly against loose players.

It's possible that you are playing too few hands (against particularly tight players)...but that is less common for new poker players.

Bet sizing can be an issue too. If your bet sizing is too small, you end up with multiplayer pots. Stealing such pots becomes very difficult. Larger pre-flop bet sizes, accompanied by a stronger/narrower rangeof starting hands will put you in more pots where there is only one caller. Head-to-head is a great opportunity to bully and test your opponent with strong raises and occasional check raise.

One doesn't need to hit the flop, turn or river to win a pot...just to win a showdown...which more targeted bet sizing may help you avoid. Just remember to do it at the right times, against exploitable opponents (ie reduce your bet sizing or check against call stations, unless you've hit, in which case, raise higher than usual.

One of the things poker players forget about is improving their margins through value betting.
It is quite common to see big turn or river bets resulting in a fold. With winning hands, we want to optimise our betting to get better value. Sometimes that needs to be THIN-VALUE (just a BB or two or three). Getting a few extra chips out of your opponent before they fold is the art...but I see many people starting from the wrong end (ie starting betting too high and working downward).

Similarly, weak pre-flop bets encourage multiway pots. With multiways, your low pairs are rarely good against a flop including broadways...whereas if I'm heads up, I'm betting my low pairs from position. The bet sizing needs to be enough to make your opponent stop and think.

Finally, and also related to preflop bet sizing and exploitative poker... you do not need a good starting hand to play exploitative poker. Identify the Nits at the table. (ie those who play tighter than tight). Be willing to bet, donk bet or check raise more against nits. You can take down many nits holding AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, QJ, JT by strongly betting your low pairs on flop, turn and river when only 1 or zero high cards hit the flop, turn and river.

(defending your BB early also helpos stem the flow of blood when you have a long run of weak starting hands.)

At the end of the day, I don't doubt that you've had some bad runs. We all get them.
and it can be frustrating when a normally strong strategy isn't working.... but some changes to your game might bring you newfound luck in the form of a larger chipstack, reduced leakage, larger win sizes.

Best of Luck.

Regards,
JT

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes and i am in right now.....i'm not playing well just because i try everything to win hand.....so i dont play much and when my luck will be back i will play like before..........i have just to be patience.....
It's not a phase. You it's just a bad player

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice question. :)

The main thing is to compose yourself, do not rush if they don't come. People most likely force their actions in these cases.

Stay in the line. Sometimes it is rewardable, sometimey you're gonna run into a very unfortunate outcome. The main thing is to get up from the table and be able to say you did the most you can. ;)

xico_moita

xico_moita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Certainly! In poker, a bad phase refers to a period in which a player experiences a series of negative results and continuous losses. This can include losing multiple hands in a row, suffering bad beats (losing a hand despite having a significant advantage), or facing more skilled players who consistently outplay them. Bad phases can be emotionally challenging as they can shake confidence and lead to frustration. However, it's important to remember that poker is a game of skill and luck, and bad phases are part of the process. Experienced players know how to manage these phases by adjusting their strategies, controlling their emotions, and continuing to make informed decisions.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It happens to the best pros. Your A game is just not enough sometimes. The tide does turn though, and sure enough if you play a solid game it will come around. Good luck!

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, there can be bad phases in poker. These are referred to as downswings and occur when a player experiences a prolonged period of bad luck.

If you are a long term winner then this is just variance and eventually you should come out on top if you are getting the money better than your opponent.

At the end of the day unless you get everything in with the nuts then you could still lose and it can be hard to take.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Luck, of course, will never hinder you at any key stages of your poker career. However, skill, discipline and the desire to work are the real secret to long-term success in this game.In poker there is always a certain segment of players who will never succeed in this game. These are the ones who expect instant results.Poker is not like a regular job, like a teacher or a doctor, where you can predict your monthly salary quite easily.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Não tem como escapar, você está em uma fase ruim, e está fazendo o que tem que ser feito, tanto na rotina quanto nos estudos, um dia essa fase ruim vai desaparecer.
Thanks for the advice.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, especially in MTTs, it can last weeks or months. You need the run a lot. This cannot be underestimated.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
A bad phase is called "Downswing" in poker, where a good phase is called "Upswing". Both make up Variance.
Believe it or not. Some live tournament players have a lifelong downswing - easily.
I´m in a downswing since june, both cash and tournaments.
Hate it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was watching a streamer the other day who plays High Stakes Online Tournament poker (NLHE) & has been doing so for 18yrs.
He stated that for every 10 sessions playing MTT's, he typically only has 2 to 3 winning days. For a high volume, low/mid stakes pro, their winning session rate is probably closer to having winning sessions 60% of the time.

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Yes, in poker, players can experience losing streaks or "bad phases" due to factors like variance, luck, or making suboptimal decisions. It's important to manage emotions and stick to a solid strategy to navigate through these periods

ronaldof2

ronaldof2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course, Poker has a percentage of luck, it's not just skill.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know for sure that after a bad phase a good one always comes.
:)

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Of course there are bad phases, live throught them and wait for the few good ones

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
ya exclusively if u play on ggpoker, bad phases can last for decades lol

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are there times in poker when nothing goes right?

Your cards don't hit on the flop, opponents raise in every hand making a bluff impossible, you seem to try hard but nothing happens, finally when you hit a pair of Aces on the flop and your stack is already low, due to no cards coming you are eliminated in the only play you can make for marginal hands.

In other words, you weren't able to take any action, all the circumstances compromised your game, making even bluffs impossible.

Has this ever happened to you, do you believe in bad phases in poker?
This happens frequently, you just have to shrug it off and wait for the next tournament. GL

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
They are in live poker.Online they are not, because the machine is divided according to an algorithm, if you play well you will win.If you do not deposit, the algorithm is set based on deposits.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of probabilities. Our life too. There are both white and black periods.....