teaching poker to a kid

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Teach them something like "cribbage". It's fun, teaches counting and has a lot of poker fundimentals involved. I'm sure there are better games, but crib was the game my father taught me, and we still play whenever we can today.

P

pokerjack43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say teach em, but teach them the odds like in a maths class, its how i learned. everyone in my family plays so ive been playing as long as i remember and i got taught the maths first. odds of completing a draw, probability of hands etc. was fun.
played for real money since i was a teenager, and i felt confident that i wouldn't be taken for a sucker.
A parents job is to educate their children about the real world, not shield them from it

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My 8 year old has been very interested since she was 6. We talk about starting hands and we deal out the flop. We work on her picking which hands are best when the flop falls. To me it's hard to get more into it without going into the "gambling aspect. We do occasionally use chips but not often.

Learning these concepts while their brains are like sponges is a very good idea.

Yes this... :shakehand

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say teach em, but teach them the odds like in a maths class, its how i learned. everyone in my family plays so ive been playing as long as i remember and i got taught the maths first. odds of completing a draw, probability of hands etc. was fun.
played for real money since i was a teenager, and i felt confident that i wouldn't be taken for a sucker.
A parents job is to educate their children about the real world, not shield them from it

Yes and this too :shakehand