frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that playing poker requires both knowledge and talent.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is talent required to play poker? Or can you study all the material and feel free to sit down at the table?
I think it takes talent to play poker, but talent alone won't be enough! You will need to learn a lot and put it into practice, experience plays a very important role in this game! But as they say, a talented person is talented in everything! But once again I tell you that one talent will not be enough to go very far and reach great heights! Good luck at the tables!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that everyone can play poker, you just need patience and a desire to learn!!!

Stasey

Stasey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need the talent to win big prizes and tournaments :)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talent is essential to playing poker well in the sense that without talent there is no way to take poker seriously.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is talent required to play poker? Or can you study all the material and feel free to sit down at the table?
Poker is one of the few games where a novice can outplay and win against a pro, in the short run.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Talent is an illusion. ;)

Viewing poker as a practice is what is required for long term success.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Talent + study + practice + experience = Success

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to make good decisions and you also need luck.

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I believe that a hard-working person, with dedication to his studies, and who practices regularly over time will be able to compete with talented players on an equal footing.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
talent will always help but it is not essential, the essential thing is to have dedication and patience

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you don't need talent to play poker...you need talent to play poker well xD

Joking aside, you don't even have to be a great poker player to win money; you simply need to be properly bankrolled, have good table selection and have a larger skill edge than your opponents. If you have this and put in the volume of games, then it is just a matter of time to make money.

The thing is, most people aren't satisfied with beating their friends for pennies. If they are "winning" players, then they probably want to test their skill at higher stakes for potential to win more money (but also lose more money) and indirectly, players at the higher stakes tend to be better poker players overall. Especially in the case of poker pros/hustlers/regs, it really depends on if the player is trying to become famous, win titles, chase bracelets etc. (in which case, they'll seek the high stakes games and play tough opponents to learn and work on their game) or if they simply want to win money (in which case, they'll constantly search out soft games they can consistently beat and then simply grind it out and make a profit over time).

Talent can help in poker and especially in the higher stakes games one plays, but ultimately "talent" isn't a requirement to play poker. An "untalented" player could still be a winning player if they find opponents worse than them to compete with regularly enough. Sounds simple, but it really is that basic at it's core.

D

DrBadBeat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't require natural talent to play. But talent can also be a manifestation of hard work and experience.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With time comes experience, I think so.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Talent make decisions faster and more profitable then others, regonize good spots and use those better, etc. - have all around better understandin of the game. But if you cant control your motion better then others, if you are easily happy or sad fellow, you are passionate about things, then you will find yourself again and again wasting your talents by crying against the pillow or crushing screens. :giggle:

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it helps tremendously

but is it "needed" ? well it depends . i think someone who has no talent but is someone who is improving his/her game consistently and learns from mistakes , gets experience , has good bankroll and tilt management etc. will still do fine . but if she/she had talent then he/she would be more succesful of course

i dont want to sound arrogant or something but i have big poker talent . i realized this at the very beginning when i started playing poker 14 years ago and knew instantly that Poker will be an important part of my life

however i have HORRIBLE bankroll management and tilt management

HungarianBoy

HungarianBoy

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
Hi! I think that we can talk about talent in poker when someone has already played thousands of hands and successfully made a profit in the process. I think it's better to learn the mathematical basis of the strategy, and you need a good intuition, for example, to find out when someone is bluffing. And I think that depends on a lot of things in poker. the luck factor as well. You don't necessarily have to be born for this. I think poker knowledge can be built and mastered

japangod87

japangod87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
In my opinion, with due perseverance, success can be achieved in any industry.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think talent is not required. Anyone with a strong desire can learn to play well. Talent and luck will just speed up the process.:)

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a combination of talent and knowledge, skill and luck if it's tournament poker.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only talented people can succeed in poker, which is why poker is like chess.:)
Poker is different to chess in that there is no luck in chess. However I think a good chess player would also make a good poker player.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think talent is needed. Need good poker training

slevinzed

slevinzed

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
talent is required to last a long time in poker, otherwise anyone can play it

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that there are talented people in any business, there are such people in poker, and no matter how hard you try, they will be better than you.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Only talented people can succeed in poker, which is why poker is like chess.:)
I agree that everyone can play profitably, with the acquisition of experience, but only talented people can succeed.