S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
None of us is a pure robots and everyone has some preference for the hands they like or dislike to play for whatever reason. Through your poker careers you surely encountered a hand that is statistically good but you really don't like to play.

For me such hand is A10o and as rational person I imagine myself to be, this one comes down to pure superstitions.
Back when I was starting to play poker me and my friends looked at the charts of what good hands and what bad hands are supposed to be. A10 would surely fall into the category of a good hand to have pre-flop. It has an ace, it has a possibility to make a straight with just 3 other cards and it's not really a hand that people put you on, when you see some 2x10 boards. So what is there not to like about it?

Well in my case this is the hand that gave me a lot of frustrations back in my early days. With my friends we entered a student poker league. It was organized every month with some nice merchandise for final table participants (poker books, card packs, chip boxes ect.) and an invite to a local yearly tournament with over 50k in prize pool, for those who accumulated most points over all tournaments.

So we enter the tournament and in the first one I get pretty far. Last 2 tables with 6 people each are being played. I was a bit of a short stack with around 13-14 blinds left. I get A10o in CO with no action before me. I decide to raise 4bb, as I was too scared to just push. SB calls, everyone else folds. Flop comes A 10 5 rainbow. SB checks, I bet bit over half the pot and SB calls. Turn comes 8, still rainbow. SB goes all in. I think a bit and call. SB reveals A8. River? You guessed it, another 8. So I'm out of tournament 12th place.
Second time around nothing special happened. Cards just didn't come that day so I exit early.
Third tournament I make it deep again. 11 people left in a tournament and I'm really short stacked (around 4bb left). I get A10o in BB and there is no action up to SB. He pushes all in to steal the blinds and I call. He reveals K2o. He hit a K on a turn and my hand hit nothing.
Fourth tournament I go deep again, this time actually making final table with a middle of the pack stack. I get A10o (ace of spades) in MP1 with no action before me. I standard raise 3bb. CO and BB calls. Flop comes 5 5 10 two spades. BB checks, I bet half the pot, CO folds, BB calls. Turn 6 of spades. BB checks, I decide to push him all in as he had only a few blinds left anyhow, he calls. He shows QJ of spades. I pray for another spade/5 or 10 on river, but those cards don't come, so I'm left with around 9bb after that hand.
The very next hand I get AKo and with no action before me I just push all in, banking on someone with weaker hand calling, thinking I'm tilting. Person that just won in our previous hand calls with A10o. Flop comes A K J rainbow and I'm feeling good about my hand. Turn comes Q making him a straight and river 4 doesn't help me.

After those 4 tournaments I always felt uneasy (even up to this day, which is about 15 years later) whenever I get an A10o in my hand and sometimes even hesitant to play it, even tho the statistics are saying to do it. I know that it comes down to randomness, but it was the start of my poker career and those beats really burnt into my memory. Gut feeling is just always telling me to avoid this hand and I believe it just comes down to superstition that this hand is cursed for me.

So what are the hands you dislike to play, even though they are really good hands? And what's the story behind it? :)

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I dont like too much playing with QJ, KJ, KQ... Even if its suited. Just not confortable for me. This hands i overthink, its not easy for me.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, there really are such hands that are not beloved. For me, this is an AD hand, I don't know, now I mostly fold with it.

ninpo

ninpo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
i hate playing JJ a just hate that hand any KQ or AQ or AK is a flip

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I dont like too much playing with QJ, KJ, KQ... Even if its suited. Just not confortable for me. This hands i overthink, its not easy for me.
On the contrary, I really like playing with these cards, they often hit the flop and you can often win a good pot with them. But the cards that I really don't like to play are definitely 1010, I think I've lost the most with them.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
There is no (strong) hands i dislike to play therefore :unsure:

T

TheDealer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like play 10s & 99s.. 😆😆😆

yetbam

yetbam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Personally, JJ is a hand that I kind of dislike having, it always seems to be very good, but you have to play it very intelligently to be able to take advantage of it.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think is a strong hand, but I don't like to play with AJ, AT, KJ, KQ

Stephen _b

Stephen _b

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
AKo for me, you think it's great till you see a flop, or maybe I'm playing it wrong 🤔

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I have VERY BIG problem with AK !! Every time.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Emmmm, I think AJ is the one I most dread playing with

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My Jinx hand over the years seems to be A8 either suited or os. I have got to the stage where I would rather fold than call/push with this hand.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don´t feel comfortable with Hands like AJo, KQo, QJo or even AQo...With these hands u r on a dangerous lane to loose many chips... ;)

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Please, give me some of the hands you dislike playing and I give you back J4o, Q6o, 92o, 53o in exchange. 🤣

I don't discriminate any decent poker hand. I love them all. 🤩

Just stay away rish offsuit rubbish please. 🤪

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
yes rubbish cards are unfortunately the most hit against good hands :) but I like every hand as long as I win with it but AK is really a losing hand at least on PS

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play with all hands that win, and I don't like hands that lose, it depends on which hand is one or the other. 😜

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think AJ and A10 are stronger but I only lose with this hand.

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
a few days ago i complained about JJ and shortly after that i won with four jacks :) i think most of the time you only remember the losing hands which are then burned into your memories.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Definitely AK. And pocket jacks too.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I don't really like to play QQ, I understand JJ's mechanism a bit, but I feel that I still need to learn to play QQ more, and I have known to lose very strong pots with that hand.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strong hand like KK is bad for me. All in with this hand is almost loosing when opponent has got an ace on a hand. There almost always an ace on the flop. Really almost always.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
JJ always and any small pair below 99 from UTG to Middle position. Dislike playing any of those hands from them positions and in general.

Cheers!!!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands