Starting off a $3.00 bankroll

19RK64

19RK64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tables dude, Omaha, Holdem even 7card can help you to get funds for Hnl at this point
gl,
Personally I wouldn't worrie much about bankroll manegment with under a couple 100
but fine someting you are ok at, like Omaha and pick your hands out, with half or all you bank!
do or die / hit&run, intill your broke or have made a profit.
After a little while hopefully you will have been successfull and have a little put back for just the reason..
to feed your tournament play, an play the FR's that you can find.

Last edited:
BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, i was totally against depositing when i started (because i had no idea how to play and was adament that i wouldn't lose money playing poker) but i got a $15 free roll, which IS enough to start from, whereas $5 or less really isn't unless you get lucky or are willing to take forever to build it. Now, i am more in favour of depositing if you have played some freerolls and read some stuff so you have a basic understanding. The $2-$3 sngs are so terrible and you can certainly build a roll rather quickly playing them w/ like $50 or so.

+1.

E

ElTrain

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It still surprises me that people pay real money for fake chips. Is it really that hard to win them?

LayzeePanda

LayzeePanda

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it all comes down to what you want out of Poker.

Do you want to play a lot and grind out a decent bankroll over time, or do you want to sit down at a slot machine and pull the handle to see if you get lucky? If you want to play and get good experience - grind it out at the micro limits (either FR or MTT). If not, find a $2.20 MTT like the $5K guaranteed and go for it.

What are you in it for?

Thanks for this, and your right i see this also as a challenge, i dont want to mess it up after one or two sit n go's.

And whoever said don't try the 0.10 360player sit n go's is right... You CANNOT get a decent game going on its crazy. Well what do i expect it is 10 cents.

LayzeePanda

LayzeePanda

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It still surprises me that people pay real money for fake chips. Is it really that hard to win them?

Not so hard to win them, but takes a while to hit a million, at least it did for me.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And whoever said don't try the 0.10 360player sit n go's is right... You CANNOT get a decent game going on its crazy. Well what do i expect it is 10 cents.

Well those type of games (where absolutely nobody cares and is willing to shove any two on anything) are extremely easy if you are patient. Plus, don't they fill up in like 1 min? So you could play like 10 at a time, and play really tight and wait for spots because you'll always get paid off since nobody cares. Don't become one of those ppl who say "oh i can't beat the donks they play any cards and get so lucky" because if you play solid vs players like that it is without a doubt the most profitable situation in which you can find yourself.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since the thread is still going...I wanted to add another viable option for many with little or zero bankroll

There are a handful of staking sites that can get you started if you have nothing...The simple set-up:

You play the tournaments on someone elses dime, and you get to keep 50% of the winnings while shipping the other 50% to the investor. Many of these sites help out inexperiened players with smaller stakes (such as starting newbies at $1.10 MTTs or SNGs) to see if they can develop into players that can handle higher stakes.

Of course, these sites also cater to more experienced players who are getting stakes to the Sunday Million/FTOPs etc.

There are many who started with little experience and no money at the 1.10 level and now get investors interested in $10K (or more) of their action in MTTs at the $55 and $109 $215 level.

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well 3$....but i would do the sit and go for 1,15 buy in on pokerstars "Double or Nothing" only 10 players 5 get payed 2$.
You can find them under Sit and Gos - single table - Mikro, with 3 $ you have 2 trys so win them..good luck

S

smoovebrutha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sit and go sit and go sit and go

wachinpntdry

wachinpntdry

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice would be to skip the .01/.02 and other really low stakes ring games as the play is very donk/bingo oriented....always at least half the table is either clueless or just playing every hand cause its cheap

I belive no matter how solid your game is, if you are really short on BR, or the game you are playing regularly has 4 or 5 bingo players at the table..... your gonna need alot of luck....
you would be BOTH short on BR AND playing a game that averages around 50% of players at a given table playing bingo

people always say these are the type of players you want to play against because in the long run you will come ahead.....
while this is true, without some pretty good luck, pretty quickly, your $3.00 roll isn't enough to play long enough for the long run.....

even with a bigger starting roll, playing in a game with 4 or 5 of these bingo players is a tough situation.....
unless you flop the nuts, if theres 3 or 4 others in every hand to the turn or river, along with the usual reckless betting and raising......it's very expensive to stay in a hand ......and your hand has to hold up against 3 or 4 others........just like in freerolls, the reckless bingo donks, and the clueless fish often take out alot of people before their own luck runs out

also, for the same reasons, even with a healthy BR, I wouldn't bother playing any large field donkfests like the .10 cent tournys.....

so in the end..with $3.00......

I'd suggest you play $1.10 Double or Nothing tournys (or HU S&Gs if you like HU) .... not gonna get rich playing them, but (with a little patience)they offer the best odds of +ROI
once you get the roll up some...to like $25 or so....then play whatever........just follow the 5% BR rule

Last edited:
pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i myself like the .25 90 man tourneys they pay 12 places i started them with 2.00 and never looked back they are very easy to get in the money if you play tight and watch what cards you play.

good luck in whatever path you take you have more options than you think.

shiver

shiver

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From tiny acorns oak trees grow.

Play tight, pick your moments and don't risk it all on just one hand/two cards.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd suggest you play $1.10 Double or Nothing tournys

I agree with this, *if* you can adapt to a winning DoN strategy.
Double or Nothing games are pretty different from regular S&G's. In a normal S&G, risking your neck on a 50/50 shot is often fine because the benefit of having a lot of chips (and thereby a better chance at a top finish, where most of the money is) outweighs the risk of getting knocked out.
But in a Double or Nothing S&G you must cash in 57.5% of the standard $1.15 games, or 55% of the $1.10 turbos. If you don't cash that often you are losing money to the rake. Because of that, coin flips are poison.

In other words, on hand #1 of a $1.15 game, if played A shoves with Q/Q and player B calls with A/Ks they are *both* long-term losers. Q/Q is only 53.6% to win, so taking a coin flip like that means that they'll have a -3.9% ROI in this situation in the long run.
A/Ks is only 46% to win, which means they'll have a -11.5% ROI in this scenario.

Now, your big advantage is that people don't realize this and they play too aggressively. Often, they're almost broke and consider these DoN's a way to get lucky and double up. So people are generally way too aggressive.
Just sit back and wait for opportunities. If you have a big hand, raise 5 bb's and let the donks call.

Remember, you do not need a ton of chips. If I get $3k I consider the game won, as the others will generally kill themselves off before I get in danger. I mean, I still play my regular game. If a tight/smart shorty on my left is in the BB, I will steal.

In the beginning of these things I play tight and open to 5 big blinds with my great hands, and 3 bb's with A/Q-. But towards the end people are looking to survive, so I'll raise to 2.5 bb's with both legit hand and steals.

Toward the end it's a matter of stealing from people who aren't apt to call (middle stacks who aren't desperate or calling machines, from late position).

One thing I want to clarify: I'm not saying don't ever shove with A/K, or 4/4 or whatever. But you want to do this when you feel there is a signifcant chance that you will not get called. Because if you are called, you're usually in a losing situation.

K

killacandis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have tried

i have tried to work myself up, everytime i get up a little, i lose alot...i dont understand what i am doing wrong, ive been trying to play freerolls but people in them dont even care, they go all in with any two cards, and when i play people call me a donk and every other name in the book....i need help, and would appreciate any help offered:D

N

natswift

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the lower levels I believe luck plays a much larger role in the game we love. I have tried many times to build a bankroll from nothing and I get a couple dollars and go on to donate it to the nearest donkey farm!!
I agree that at the lower levels and freerolls people will call you with anything.
I would like to believe that as you go up in limits the game play gets better and people take it more serious.
But I also believe that if you can discipline yourself to play solid poker you will become a more rounded player as you move up in limits.
After all we need to learn to play against bad players just as much as we need to learn strategy to play against good players.
I just hope I don't fall into the "bad" player category!! LOL

i have tried to work myself up, everytime i get up a little, i lose alot...i dont understand what i am doing wrong, ive been trying to play freerolls but people in them dont even care, they go all in with any two cards, and when i play people call me a donk and every other name in the book....i need help, and would appreciate any help offered:D

Don't get caught up in the table talk. Most of the time the one's calling names either are trying to get you worked up or they are the Donk at the table!!

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and when i play people call me a donk and every other name in the book....i need help

Don't get caught up in the table talk. Most of the time the one's calling names either are trying to get you worked up or they are the Donk at the table!!

Well, actually, chat can help...if you are constantly being called DONK--You can definately learn from those comments. DO NOT IGNORE THEM. You are playing bad even at the lowest levels, so the best thing is to read CCs many areas that can help players, and if you want to be a serious player, sign up for one of the many professional video services.

Someone calling you a donk once in a while (it always happens) is much different than if you find yourself being called a donk on many occassions.

Also, time and experience will help your play.

Now, some players purposefully play donk style and take advantage of it in various ways, but I'm pretty sure that is not the case here.

LayzeePanda

LayzeePanda

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well hey i guess these 0.10 cent sit n gos worked after all. Got $8.00!!!
ITS A START. Might move up to some 1.10 sit n gos soon.

Tournament #160689801, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $0.10
360 players
Total Prize Pool: $36.00
Tournament started 2009/05/03 12:09:45 ET

Dear LayzeePanda,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. A $8.50 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 103.23 tournament leader points in this tournament.

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 double or nothings are the obvious game choice here. don't even stop to consider anything else. if you are a solid player, the fpp's will build up and you can get some free money

LayzeePanda

LayzeePanda

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BUSTED! Down to nothing again. You know i promise myself im not going to play ring games and next thing you know im losing all my money at the 0.25/0.50 tables....... Cant help it

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BUSTED! Down to nothing again. You know i promise myself im not going to play ring games and next thing you know im losing all my money at the 0.25/0.50 tables....... Cant help it

Do you mean blinds of 0.25/0.50 because that is $50 NL

hayes5150

hayes5150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pokerstars has those double or nothing sit and gos for $1 all you have to do is place best 5 its not to hard have a go at those for a bit just have patience

LayzeePanda

LayzeePanda

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you mean blinds of 0.25/0.50 because that is $50 NL

Yeah i was playing those blinds to get to a decent bankroll a little faster.. Dont have the patience for these DoN anymore

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BUSTED! Down to nothing again.

Maybe try switching over to Full Tilt and start from zero....I had decided to leave Full Tilt, transfered money over to PS, and stopped recommending them a few months ago after software and support issues were just too much for a site that has gotten so big...

I decided to come back and play a bit after it appeared they at least tried to fix some of the software issues

So in January I started to play, But I had exactly zero $0 on the site.

Got like a $3 cash on a CC Freeroll, then a $15 Freeroll Cash. After chasing the BR down to $3, I got a $60 cash in the 10 cent rebuy (I never played for more than 0.10), 2 guaranteed 3rs later I added $15 and $18 on one unit total ($3.30).

Then I was plodding along and won a CC Freeroll for about $66-- I decided to push aggressively to move up in BR and played an $8.80 sat for the $55, which I won--then instead of unregistering, I played and finished 45th in 55/50K for $100.

I started playing a little small cash games then and kept winning at very low stakes NL.

Kept it rolling along with many CC Freeroll Cashes, then I finally hit the $1r Final Table and picked up $510, and right after hit 120th in the Double Duece 200K for $170.

NOW--With the FTP Bankroll sitting at $800 I have now started to aggressively attempt to get into bigger events (play sats to daily $109 30K, $55K and on weekends try and get into 750K and others --and now FTOPs) and I will play if I qualify instead of unregistering.

Other than that I am playing the $5r 6 Max, $3r 9.5K and 10r 15K all with 1 unit if possible, but not more than 3 units and the occassional $12 Daily Double.

<Also playing some 50NL and 1/2 LHE during periods I have busted out for the day early. I had done pretty well in the cash games til I somehow spewed 92 dollars in one session that really made me mad.>

I guess the point of this--is maybe there are a few more opportunities to build a zippo roll on FTP than PS, esp with the CC Freerolls and the FTP smaller Tournys.

Now, if I can just get a 30K or better hit in the very near future :joyman:

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah i was playing those blinds to get to a decent bankroll a little faster..
Which effectively ended you faster. I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic, so you can understand when I say those rings were way out of your limits. You've must have been crushed by everyone else at the table when you bought in for all your money. I'm guessing 1/4 or 1/5 of the max buy-in.

There's always tomorrow I guess. Get another $3 and try to hit bingo countless times (I know a site that pays $5 pre play mill., PM me if you want), or grind it up to a real bankroll and stay with somewhat of a bankroll management of 5% or even 15% if you're feeling lucky.

Nevertheless, if you took first in a ten-center I would have to say you seem to do very well in the 360 sngs. I would definitely stick to possibly taking a couple stabs at $1 tournys or sit n gos, and stay away from the rings when you get you're next shot at the reals.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow thanks way to blow my hopes people.

Its possible to turn it into one and im asking for ideas. Ill stick to micro tourneys see if i hit some good dollars

If you cant stick to your own set of rules then I'm afraid we cant help.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management