Starting hands monsters

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Example tournament, is the middle stage of the tournament.
The blinds are 250-500.
My stack is 13k in my pocket JJ.
I'm doing 3bet from the middle position.
The player on the button calls, his stack is 5k
Small and large bland fold.
The flop falls 2-7-10, I do 3 more bet.
The player on the button puts everything.
I call
hide the cards I have JJ from the opponent pocket 77.
10 more and 5 more
How do you analyze this distribution.

That would be a cooler.. villain hit a two outer this stinks but won’t happen often. All we can do is make the best decisions. If the player hits a miracle card to win. Oh well, we ran bad that hand and will win in that situation 80% of the time. You want to be up against 77’s when you have jacks.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WCOOP $ 55 main event.
There was an interesting distribution.
Half an hour passed.
My stack is 75k
The AJ comes to me
blinds 500-1000
I am raising from the middle position 3000
All fold except for BB
BB reraises 9000 its stack is 50k
I call.
The flop falls for me good 2-J-8
I'm betting 6000k
BB raises to 17k I put everything
BB calls and shows KK
I'm losing this hand.

This is where live reads would help. You can absolutely fold AJ after being 3bet pre. No need to continue against a 3 bet with something as weak as AJ

Last edited:
L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is where live reads would help. You can absolutely fold AJ after being 3bet pre. No need to continue OOP against a 3 bet with something as weak as AJ
I strongly outplayed this hand in this hand?

MrAceBoogie

MrAceBoogie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases, I'm not lucky with these starting hands with bridges like
AK AQ AJ KK QQ JJ
I do not know, I can not play them correctly and in most cases I lose with these hands.
What advice can you give? how best to play this or that hand?

So many factors, your position, stack size, opponents stack size, what type of player they are, what type of image you have, what the meta feel is at the table, and so on.... Soo many factors, I would recommend creating some range charts for yourself and your opponents. Make different charts for different positions and stack sizes ( UTG, UTG1, UTG2, MP, CO, BTN) (10bb,20bb,30-40bb, 50bb+ etc..). Once you do this you can get an idea of what your opponents calling, RFI, and 3betting ranges are, and play accordingly to all of the mentioned factors above. Pokers a complex game, not just raise raise raise anymore.

Cheers :beerglass

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I strongly outplayed this hand in this hand?

I don't know what "I strongly outplayed this hand in this hand?" means?? All that I'm saying is you need to know what range is your opponent 3 betting you with? Live reads help us narrow this range down. Against an unknown you are usually getting 3 bet by QQ+ and AKs All of which beat you so you should fold the hand pre-flop and never even see the J on the flop.

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what "I strongly outplayed this hand in this hand?" means?? All that I'm saying is you need to know what range is your opponent 3 betting you with? Live reads help us narrow this range down. Against an unknown you are usually getting 3 bet by QQ+ and AKs All of which beat you so you should fold the hand pre-flop and never even see the J on the flop.

Thanks for the advice.
This is my first experience in the WOOP tournaments.

MrAceBoogie

MrAceBoogie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think he meant "I strongly misplayed this hand"

But i agree, Like Memphis and myself mentioned, creating ranges for your opponents is the best way to narrow down what they have, and act accordingly.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he meant "I strongly misplayed this hand"

But i agree, Like Memphis and myself mentioned, creating ranges for your opponents is the best way to narrow down what they have, and act accordingly.

Agh makes more sense!

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also lost everything with monsters, especially unsuccessfully with KK in the last two months, I did not win any hands with them, and I already hate KK

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In both the JJ and AJ examples you are 'overbetting' your hand, as both are only 1 pair, with little hope of improvement.
With this type of hands it is easy to lose a big stack (this is from my own experience; unfortunately), especially when the table sees you as someone that overbets and places continuation bets.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands