L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases, I'm not lucky with these starting hands with bridges like
AK AQ AJ KK QQ JJ
I do not know, I can not play them correctly and in most cases I lose with these hands.
What advice can you give? how best to play this or that hand?

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MONSTERS HANDS

Start playing out of position with Open raise 3.5
3 Bet standard 6 or 6.5 out of position or in Small

In position can play in giving call 3 Bet bluff and play catcher against aggressive Bigs and if they do make 5 4 bet bet

And if the Small to raise MP EP HJ make a generally squeze to 9.5 BB's

Tournament start everyone is so deep play with calm and be ready to fold the turn or river if the board comes with many very bad draws

:jd4:mateuspoker

R

Royallywasted

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How you play depends on the stakes in my opinion. If your playing 1 cent / 2 cent online or playing freerolls/ micro stake tourneys I would be raising much larger then what I normally would playing 1$/2$. The reason being is players play much looser in the lower limits.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK AQ AJ KK QQ JJ
I do not know, I can not play them correctly and in most cases I lose with these hands.

As it always is in poker "it depends" will apply here. In just about any case these are all hands that at minimum you will open with. So find a standard open amount. for tournaments Ex. 2.2x for cash 5x. The open amount could change depending on other variables at the table. The hands listed are all potential 3 bet candidates just like with the open example the amount will be dependent upon variables at the table. Basically this is hard to answer without specific details. I suggest make up a hand and give the scenario how the hand played out make up how players where playing different scenarios that happen and we can comment on each scenario because it will most likely be different results for different scenarios.

J

Jam_V92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe you should be more aggressive in your game

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think also, you need to be more aggressive. If you allow to many cards to be turned, the opponents get their flush, straight - house with 4-2 etc.
You must make a bet to make sure that weak hands are folded.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on your position at the table, and on the format of the tournament you play.
I believe that these are strong cards and you need to play aggressively.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how you play with such hands, sometimes I even folded AA in the game so as not to lose much, try playing AA -KK aggressively - and on QQ-JJ, be careful that you lose less!

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the detailed good advice

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will only get vague answers to a question asked in this manner. Post the hand history if you want detailed information. Position, stack size and other variables will be more beneficial to help you understand why you are having trouble with these hands.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK AQ AJ KK QQ JJ
well those hands are played with a big raise before flop.....and if many players bet before u....probably all in if u want..but if someone joins with small cards and he hits...u will never see that...

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
many players overestimate these hands !!! just throw them out if the flop does not suit you !!! monsters from these hands are considered only AA and KK !!!!

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in the same boat as you, of these hands I only usually give luck with KK, the others I'm losing master for 2 pairs.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my view we can not generalize, because poker is a long term game.
Among the software, as professionals recommend and after that, make a survey of all the hands played, like all pairs.
Thus will have an average chance and really consistent victory and defeat with reality.

No doubt based on assumptions. I do not know whether they agree, and am willing to open discussion :)

Denchik43RU

Denchik43RU

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In MTT tournaments, I prefer to play all-in immediately, because even for a large raise, people enter the bank with absolutely delusional hands (which can lead to an insulting loss), especially at an early stage of the tournament. But I'm not a very good player))) I just say how I act more often, BUT NOT ALWAYS .....

Denchik43RU

Denchik43RU

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also want to note that in 7 out of 10 cases on all in there is an apanent)))) Poetou believe that it is profitable)))

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
AK aggressively from all positions but I fold (when I am not tilted :D) to 4-bets/all ins with bigger stacks early in a tournament , in a freeroll maybe not ;) . KK aggressively from all positions , QQ preflop aggro , postflop carefully dependingly on flop text , my outs , mine and my opponent ('s) stacks , the action generally .
AQ carefully preflop , ready to fold if reraised , especially ofsuited and with many raisers-reresairs or theamount to call is big (many blinds vs my initial raise ) and especially oop .
AJ is rubbish imho , I play it in limp pots , or to steal blinds in position , trying to give in position ( CO , BTN ) , at the most from MP3 , fold instantly to heavy action .
If I have smaller stack or better tournamnet M , KK raise , AK, QQ , AQ all in . For AJ I try to see the right remaining blinds and position to shove , haven't figured out- for sure- yet:( , I tend to wait-fold AJ if not less or equal than 6 blinds and in position , always trouble with AJ , suited or not :(

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket pairs AK, KK, QQ must be played aggressively from any positions, minimum raise 3-4 BB. Here it is better to play against one or two opponents. With pocket cards AJ, AQ can be called a 3BB raise from any position, but must be played carefully on the flop and the rest of the streets.
With pocket cards AK, KK, QQ, AJ, AQ - the fewer players in the game, the more chances to win.

Last edited:
X

XlordB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
heres how I play strong hands like AA kk qq etc Most of you wont adopt the way I play them but here's what I do regardless of my position. If i pick up my cards and i have KK when it comes to my turn to call I look to see what has been staked so far to see who id be most likely up against in the hand. If there was a raise before me I would simply just call the raise. I wouldnt push because then your taking a risk of losing all your chips instead of a good amount. I would only push if the raise had me all in. However if there is no raise pre flop before it comes to me then I will call not raise.. My reasoning for that would be to hide the fact I had a strong hand. I would then look at the flop to see what other hands could possiblly be beating mine and then keep an eye on any raises. If no raises id check even if I thought i had the strongest hand I wouldnt want any opponents to know it YET.

The thing is even if you end up not getting much out of your pair of kk or qq or whatever your goal is to not bust out and to try to "con/Trap" as many chips from others as possible and the easiest way for me is to not show hand strength by raising.. calling and checking works wonders when you know you are way ahead because when it comes to the river if your still ahead most likely your opponent will push if hes raised through the hand.

Also I tend to not get upset at all if a strong hand fails after the flop e.g I have KK and A Q 9 comes the flop I know most likely someone will have that ace and wont think twice about folding if there is a raise.

Its all about perspective sure the cards are strong hands pre flop but that doesnt always mean they are winning hands. and like the others said it also depends on the situation If your only going up against 1 other person in the hand feel free to push if you really want to but any more than one and id be calling or checking myself in.

I guess i just like to play stealthy poker and not aggressive but trapping someone into an all in at the river card gains you huge jumps up the ranks in tourneys.

Quote from alfadog - "Pocket pairs AK, KK, QQ must be played aggressively from any positions "
I disagree I find its better to not play to aggresive with them as if you bet heavily on them and they fail it leaves you shorthanded with chips. I prefer to play them non aggresively however I guess it may be down to personal preference!

Last edited:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against strong players - QQ and especially JJ are likely going to lose you more (probably much more) than they will make you, unless you hit a set. You almost always want to get all of the money in the middle pre-flop w/ AA and often w/ KK. AK is usually flipping, but again depending on the other players' skill and your reading of them, you may be losing more than you expect with this hand. AQ against strong and/or really tight players is often a losing proposition. AJ depends a lot on luck.

Unless you're all-in pre-flop with AA and sometimes KK and a healthy stack size everything else depends on the board cards, the other players and of course - luck.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK AQ AJ KK QQ JJ
Can you give an example of how one, or better a few hands went wrong?
Without this, the advice from MemphisGrind +1 is the best you will ever get.

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you give an example of how one, or better a few hands went wrong?
Without this, the advice from MemphisGrind +1 is the best you will ever get.
An example is very difficult for me to play JJ, I often lose with this pocket pair

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An example is very difficult for me to play JJ, I often lose with this pocket pair

I think you’re missing the point here. You can’t just pluck a hand out of the sky and say “how do I play this” the game is built on details, variables, and information. So you would need to make up a scenario. Such as I had JJ in (you choose) position, there were (you choose) players at the table, I was in (you choose) position. You pick as to what the players at the table do. Tell what the starting stacks where, if this is a tournament or cash game, If cash.. what are the stakes, if tournament what part of the tournament. (Early,middle. End) Make up live reads about the players. Tell us how they would perceive you. Give a flop, turn, and river. Give bet sizing. Or if you’re struggling think back to a hand or situation that caused you to lose with jacks and make that scenario up for us to analyze. Just make sure you DO NOT miss ANY details

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you’re missing the point here. You can’t just pluck a hand out of the sky and say “how do I play this” the game is built on details, variables, and information. So you would need to make up a scenario. Such as I had JJ in (you choose) position, there were (you choose) players at the table, I was in (you choose) position. You pick as to what the players at the table do. Tell what the starting stacks where, if this is a tournament or cash game, If cash.. what are the stakes, if tournament what part of the tournament. (Early,middle. End) Make up live reads about the players. Tell us how they would perceive you. Give a flop, turn, and river. Give bet sizing. Or if you’re struggling think back to a hand or situation that caused you to lose with jacks and make that scenario up for us to analyze. Just make sure you DO NOT miss ANY details

Example tournament, is the middle stage of the tournament.
The blinds are 250-500.
My stack is 13k in my pocket JJ.
I'm doing 3bet from the middle position.
The player on the button calls, his stack is 5k
Small and large bland fold.
The flop falls 2-7-10, I do 3 more bet.
The player on the button puts everything.
I call
hide the cards I have JJ from the opponent pocket 77.
10 more and 5 more
How do you analyze this distribution.

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

WCOOP $ 55 main event.
There was an interesting distribution.
Half an hour passed.
My stack is 75k
The AJ comes to me
blinds 500-1000
I am raising from the middle position 3000
All fold except for BB
BB reraises 9000 its stack is 50k
I call.
The flop falls for me good 2-J-8
I'm betting 6000k