Is this so?

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...Conning someone into handing over their money can be a bit of a drag imo.

I've had moments like this too, even to the degree of saying "sorry" and meaning it.

The thing that keeps me from feeling like this all the time is remembering that in poker, unlike real life, just by sitting down at the table everyone has implicitly agreed that conning is an integral part of the game.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends what you consider to be slavery.
Having to work for hours every week for someone else just to make enough to get by could be considered slavery, having to work for hours weekly just for food and shelter could be considered slavery.
If we do not have our own buisinesses and make our own hours at our own leisure then we are all slaves to the grind.

Way to go around the subject. People in those situations did accept the job, didn't they?

I'll tell you what kind of slavery the bible is ok with. People being forced to work, getting just enough not to die in return and being punished for just about anything just as long as they're not killed (it's a sin if an owner kills a slave, but anything else is fair game). The owner also has the right to screw his female slaves. These rules are in the bible, so I'll ask again to those who believe moral guidelines come from the bible, what do they think about this.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People make good and bad decisions every day. I cant second guess why someone is at a poker table. Are they addicted gamblers? Are they wealthy fun timers? I dont know. I only know why I am there, and that is to take their money. Thats what poker is. Maybe I win maybe I lose, but I made the decision to be there, as did the other players. Maybe that puts the comparison to slavery to rest. A "what do you think slavery is" thread would be certainly something to consider, if you want. A lot of bible related and religion related threads are already around as well.

And BTW, I still doubt OPs seriousness in starting this. I think he is cracking up at where this thread has gone. I mean, his second post: "Thanks for replying with full concern..Waiting for more replies on this critical issue". Am I the only one smelling sarcasm here?

Jeight

Jeight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were Catholic and as far as the act of poker we don't think its immoral. On the flip side anything thats done in "excess" becomes a sin or immoral. My parish actually has "gambling" events.

Now if your going deeper and asking if poker is immoral because its a game of deception my answer would be no...most games that are interesting require some deception.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am pretty sure that in the bible there are passages that elude to the idea that Roman soldiers threw lots at the feet of Jesus while he was hanging on the cross. I think this is where the immoral issue comes from. As for me personally I do not believe it is immoral. Poker is a skilled game and I will be the first to admit I do not have a lot of skill but I do love to play the game.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is as any subject the more you study it , the more you practice it , the more you win at it. So many religous values need to be practiced to win at poker how can it be bad.

pdias666

pdias666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm pretty shure that between flop and river a lot a people are sayng "please god"

B

BetPreFlop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still somehow think this needs to be merged with the joke thread...............

How could you say that? these answers come when guys don't have any thinking =P :boxing: