Is this so?

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH, this question is immoral (jk).
I don't think playing poker is immoral unless you steal or kill to support your poker.
You have to remember that moral values(IMO) are those set forth by the bible in the ten comandments, thou shall not steal, and thou shall not kill.
If you are not breaking those laws when playing poker then you are not commiting anything immoral.
IMO, all moral standards are writtten in the bible, if this makes any sense.

Damn, stealing is immoral - I think I will NEVER steal a limped pot again . :D

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is playing poker Immoral? lol ofcourse the poker-ers would say no but i want to see some sincere and honest replies

Thanks
:(
Not the way I play it. More like Charity........

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for replying with full concern..Waiting for more replies on this critical issue

Don't you guys realize this is a critical issue? You all seem to be just joking about it!

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is immoral for a sucker to keep his money.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely immoral. Every time you chase a draw and catch it, God kills a kitten!

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't you guys realize this is a critical issue? You all seem to be just joking about it!

Of course we will have fun with it. Anyone who can ask such a question is trolling for ammunition. Morality, and thus immorality are faith based equivalencies to ethical questions. So to ask about the morality of gambling/poker is unethical.

Question denotes an oxyMORON!

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also kinda interesting to read that some seem to suggest that church = morals.

Was about to say that.

TBH, this question is immoral (jk).
I don't think playing poker is immoral unless you steal or kill to support your poker.
You have to remember that moral values(IMO) are those set forth by the bible in the ten comandments, thou shall not steal, and thou shall not kill.
If you are not breaking those laws when playing poker then you are not commiting anything immoral.
IMO, all moral standards are writtten in the bible, if this makes any sense.

The bible doesn't have a problem with slavery, so I guess you're ok with it too?

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ud

I guess like anything else,it can be good,and it can be bad.If you are playing with your bill/expense money,that you cant afford to lose,its bad.
If you freeroll your way,not losing money you got to have,,and not neglecting other things in your life,I guess its ok.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you spend your whole life playing poker, one could argue that you contributed no real value to the world

That's not true either. You didn't contribute anything to the world while winning your money, but then you're going to spend it. Every time you buy something you're supporting someone, it's not like you're taking money away from the world.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you expect me to live what you consider a moral life, then YOU must PROVIDE ME with EVERYTHING I NEED to live my life your way. Job, security, wife, home, etc. not to mention some bliss, and a whole lot of giggles.

OK Boss?

If you are unwilling or decide not to be my sole provider, then GTFO of my life altogether, do not preach to me silly nonsense about morals which do not feed me.

And yes, this topic, and it's implications do tilt me......:mad:

T

TomAnderson

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an atheist, and I do have doubts about whether poker is moral. As much as we'd like to think there aren't, there are sick gamblers out there, and if there weren't any games to take their money, they wouldn't be in such bad shape. I feel bad knowing that occasionally a pot I win might contain somebody's scared money.

But I'm definitely deeply bothered by the Bible's nearly automatic mention in connection with the topic of morals. We can gain a feel of morality through empathy and sympathy, we don't need a guide book, especially one as bloodthirsty and self-contradictory as the Bible.

So for me, the jury's still out on whether or not poker is moral. My current take is that it's amoral. The game's there to be played, and people either play it or don't. The money's there for the taking, scared or not, but does that make it okay to take it? I don't know.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is playing poker Immoral? lol ofcourse the poker-ers would say no but i want to see some sincere and honest replies

Thanks

So you are asking an entire poker community if they feel their actions are immoral?

Do you need to ask this?

Do you not see that regardless of whether poker is imoral or not, the only response a poker player will give will be one that is in line with the fact the he plays poker often.

It just means the question is pointless.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks

Thanks for replying with full concern..Waiting for more replies on this critical issue

This somewhat normal sounding OP with the dripping with sarcasm following post makes me wonder how hard OP is laughing at all the responses here. After the reply in bold above I lost all belief that OP is doing anything but having a good laugh at the "concerned" replies on this "critical issue". IMO this needs to be moved to the joke thread.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cut myself whenever I play.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game. Are games immoral? If instead of marbles we played Hungary Hippos w/ gold nuggets would that be immoral?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bible doesn't have a problem with slavery, so I guess you're ok with it too?
Depends what you consider to be slavery.
Having to work for hours every week for someone else just to make enough to get by could be considered slavery, having to work for hours weekly just for food and shelter could be considered slavery.
If we do not have our own buisinesses and make our own hours at our own leisure then we are all slaves to the grind.

As for the OP, Is playing poker immoral(wrong), I do not believe it is wrong if you don't let it get in the way of your everyday life and let the game completey control your life.
Again, if you steal money or kill someone to play poker then it has become morally wrong.
You have to remember that morals have been instilled in you through your parents and you aquire new morals as you grow older and I for one do not believe poker is wrong.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Again, if you steal money or kill someone to play poker then it has become morally wrong.

That still wouldn't make poker morally wrong.. killing and stealing are just wrong.

By that definition if someone killed or stole for food so they could eat, then eating would be wrong.. though, obviously killing and stealing are wrong.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm an atheist, and I do have doubts about whether poker is moral. As much as we'd like to think there aren't, there are sick gamblers out there, and if there weren't any games to take their money, they wouldn't be in such bad shape. I feel bad knowing that occasionally a pot I win might contain somebody's scared money.

But I'm definitely deeply bothered by the Bible's nearly automatic mention in connection with the topic of morals. We can gain a feel of morality through empathy and sympathy, we don't need a guide book, especially one as bloodthirsty and self-contradictory as the Bible.

So for me, the jury's still out on whether or not poker is moral. My current take is that it's amoral. The game's there to be played, and people either play it or don't. The money's there for the taking, scared or not, but does that make it okay to take it? I don't know.

Yah.. I like this ^ response. I'm not an atheist but do like this response.
I've actually felt kinda bad on cash tables (online) at times... & prefer tournament play (for reasons besides this). Conning someone into handing over their money can be a bit of a drag imo. I'm lame though I guess... I've even shipped guy's their buyins on cash tables after taking it all from them. (nobody's done that for me though..??)

et1961

et1961

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Immoral-NA

Many and most times immorality is connected with ones religious beliefs. So many religions come with a quite extensive list of do's and don,ts. Many tell you that gambling is a don't.

I personaly feel that my religious beliefs are not including a list of do's and don'ts as much as how one feels in their heart. If you feel you are doing nothing wrong, then I don't feel that whatever God you worship is going to condemn your actions. Going against your personal beliefs is when actions become immoral. See ya on the felt!!!