M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think slowplaying strong hands is a bad strategy at the microlimits. You are just losing a lot of value.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

I love slow playing strong hands, especially when you got some sucker doing all the betting for you. The cards show and you see the mediocre hand they were playing, gives me a chuckle. You do get burnt sometimes, but to me it's worth it.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you prefer to slow play or fast play strong hands after the flop? Obviously context matters, but this is meant as sort of a general question for the borderline cases.

I ask because I just played a few hands where I chose to slow play strong (but not absolute nut) hands and got outdrawn, and now I'm second guessing if I did the right thing.

First hand was KK. Flop came K-A-7 rainbow, and I checked and got checked back on. 5c on the turn and get a small bet which I call. 2c comes on the river, and the opponent bets the pot, appearing to have completed a club flush. I call, and sure enough they did. I feel like if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't have played differently, and that in the long run I'd make more from playing those cards/board that way than not.

Second hand I initially thought I might play differently, but as I think it through, it probably played out best the way it did. I had A4c in the BB, and called a raise from the CO. Flop came Ad4h8c. Checked and got checked back to me. Kh on the turn, check/check. Ks on the river. They makes a 2/3 pot bet, and I call. They have A-10, and with the board pairing, I'm outkicked. If I had bet the flop, he would have almost guaranteed called, and likely called the the turn. I probably would have lost more chips fast playing.

Thoughts on these hands or on slow/fast playing in general?
Unless I flop the absolute nuts, I tend to make the other players pay dearly for their draws. Better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on the villain.
But I like to play fast.

reraee1

reraee1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I love slow play.I like to sit and watch my opponent

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you never know, what opp holds, there's never a perfect way to play a hand. It mostly depends on position, stacksize and position. If I hit two pairs OOP, I'd always bet out, but as you see, slowplying is sometimes better on these "random" runouts in online poker. best is to check until the river and go all in. Poker skills are overevaluated in these days, where they call down bottom pair or one overcard and suck you out anyway.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
More often you need to play hands without slowplay. But you also need to slowplay with a certain frequency for balance!

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Good question and got me thinking. It's very scenario specific. I sometimes play it aggressively and sometimes slow play according to the "board texture" and the players in the pot. However, I have learned to sometimes fold even a set of kings or aces when I know the other player has completed a flush or a straight. Some players are really keen to tell you when they have. Yes, I still lose a big pot now and then but not the whole stack. But with aces or kings I always try to build the pot pre-flop and continue aggressively on the flop, particularly on wet boards,, for the simple reason that they might fold a draw on flop or turn. If they complete it on river, happy days for them, if not I win a lot when they don't complete or when I make them fold. Slow playing is great when you have a set of kings on the flop and you slow play to wait for an ace or a queen so they can have a chance to be aggressive and donate their money with an AK or an AQ. Otherwise, there's no point.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands