Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you prefer to slow play or fast play strong hands after the flop? Obviously context matters, but this is meant as sort of a general question for the borderline cases.

I ask because I just played a few hands where I chose to slow play strong (but not absolute nut) hands and got outdrawn, and now I'm second guessing if I did the right thing.

First hand was KK. Flop came K-A-7 rainbow, and I checked and got checked back on. 5c on the turn and get a small bet which I call. 2c comes on the river, and the opponent bets the pot, appearing to have completed a club flush. I call, and sure enough they did. I feel like if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't have played differently, and that in the long run I'd make more from playing those cards/board that way than not.

Second hand I initially thought I might play differently, but as I think it through, it probably played out best the way it did. I had A4c in the BB, and called a raise from the CO. Flop came Ad4h8c. Checked and got checked back to me. Kh on the turn, check/check. Ks on the river. They makes a 2/3 pot bet, and I call. They have A-10, and with the board pairing, I'm outkicked. If I had bet the flop, he would have almost guaranteed called, and likely called the the turn. I probably would have lost more chips fast playing.

Thoughts on these hands or on slow/fast playing in general?

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All depends on what information I have on the opponent. It will also depend on the texture of the board, if i'm flopping sets on dry boards then i will be more inclined to slow play. On wet boards, i'm more inclined to play aggressively. I believe playing this way with strong hands gets maximum value for them.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Standard answer is fastplay.
But it is very dependant on the given situation, table, opponents, stack etc etc

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i also often slowplay strong hands BUT not as slow as to check or check / call until the river . i will definitely raise on the turn

you should have raised on the turn on the first hand . because if he / she has a flush draw you have to make it expensive and get value . and then when the club comes you can slow down and if not you might bet more

i also get often outdrawn bro . thats how online poker goes

as a general rule what i do is if i flop a set and the board is rainbow i will slowplay but if there is a potential flush draw i will play more aggro on the flop

i will slowplay a flopped flush unless opponent(s) is/are playing aggressive pre/post flop

same goes for a flopped straight

when i flop a full house i will slowplay more and wait for them to bet

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you should have raised on the turn on the first hand . because if he / she has a flush draw you have to make it expensive and get value . and then when the club comes you can slow down and if not you might bet more

Fair point.

Honestly for some reason I didn't see the flush draw, which is my bad. I don't know if I'm the only one, but on the rare occasion I fail to see some of the outs on a board. Usually it's an unconnected straight draw I miss though, not a flush.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best to fast play hands in anonymous enivronments & slow if you are facing tight nitty players for the mere point of building a pot

emejota23

emejota23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play them slow, to try to get more value out of the hand. :D

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What a great post.
I tend to slow play, especially if I am close to the dealer and even more so on an aggressive table. I like making the other people make the move, but it has bit me in many ways. Having a super weak BB or SB get their cards on the flop, to everyone checking right to the end and not capitalizing on the good cards.
Now in saying that I do find myself NOT slow playing quite as much as I used to. I think my game is slowly morphing right now. Like you said though there are many variables to these scenarios, but that is the gist of it.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fast play on the button or close to it because it makes it look like you’re bluffing and I slow play early in position to allow the button to do the bluffing.....But SssHhhhhhh

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a set on the flop, I preferred to slowplay so that the opponent made the move first and could hit a big pot, but sometimes luck can not be in your favor and it gonna "set" you up, and this will lead you to a big disappointment, as happened with our friend who posted this post. It is very likely that the turn or river will hit your opponent's flush and then you will lose because of your slowplay, so I began to play aggressively and bet from the flop, not giving my opponent a chance to make a flush

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes overslow helps

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I want the chips in the middle! Not a good to slow play!

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have to play them both fast and slow or you become predictable and easy to play against. I play 2/3s fast and 1/3 slow and that is NOT in a pattern of 2 fast followed by 1 slow. I use my watch and if the second hand is between 1 and 40 I play them fast, if the second hand is between 40 and 60 I play the hand slow. Those are my default actions. Everything is dependent on any reads I have at the table.

Jim:)

bilva1984

bilva1984

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

I'm still looking for my game, it's hard for me to play once the flop is over and even more if I don't get anything haha ​​I hope I can improve that of my greetings.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm still looking for my game, it's hard for me to play once the flop is over and even more if I don't get anything haha ​​I hope I can improve that of my greetings.

I know that feeling. I've started to say to myself "well, back to work" when it happens. I know if I play patient I'll eventually earn it back, so saying that reminds me.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very much depends on the situation but overall generaly prefer not to slowplay too often.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
i never slow play a good hand. from experience i've been loosing so many good hands even AA that now i don't slow play them. i'm very agressif not to let some one follow me with any hand

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer playing slow but lost twice yesterday to flushes :-/

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I prefer a comfortable game for me. If I play 3-4 tables at a time, then I just need time to make a decision, and I think it should be quite acceptable for other players.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you will "change gears" throughout the tournament to not be so predictable. Specifically in the case of KK you should try to play the hand until the end as much as possible, especially if you are not in bubble situations, because in the long run it will be more profitable, you will win more times by completing AA, KK, QQ and others until the end.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, it is obvious that each of us has the right to play as he can or deems necessary in a given situation. There are many factors that affect our choices and our game.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I rarely slowplay premium hands. I usually 3bet or raise. If a lot of players with broadway cards like KJ, QT enter the pot, for example, for 3BB, then my aces are at great risk of losing a lot.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you prefer to slow play or fast play strong hands after the flop? Obviously context matters, but this is meant as sort of a general question for the borderline cases.

I ask because I just played a few hands where I chose to slow play strong (but not absolute nut) hands and got outdrawn, and now I'm second guessing if I did the right thing.

First hand was KK. Flop came K-A-7 rainbow, and I checked and got checked back on. 5c on the turn and get a small bet which I call. 2c comes on the river, and the opponent bets the pot, appearing to have completed a club flush. I call, and sure enough they did. I feel like if I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't have played differently, and that in the long run I'd make more from playing those cards/board that way than not.

Second hand I initially thought I might play differently, but as I think it through, it probably played out best the way it did. I had A4c in the BB, and called a raise from the CO. Flop came Ad4h8c. Checked and got checked back to me. Kh on the turn, check/check. Ks on the river. They makes a 2/3 pot bet, and I call. They have A-10, and with the board pairing, I'm outkicked. If I had bet the flop, he would have almost guaranteed called, and likely called the the turn. I probably would have lost more chips fast playing.

Thoughts on these hands or on slow/fast playing in general?

Depends, opponent, board, how handed is the table.

I tend to play the hand as most profitable as it is possible.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I prefer to play fast, if I lose it seems to be less pain :))

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fast

I prefer to play my big hands fast.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands