Should we teach poker to our kids?

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I were parents, I would teach child some outdoor activity first, unless weather is hot.

Compare poker to video games, think would more like to teach them poker.
since child would learn some thing important from playing poker:

patience, bankroll management, dealing with bad luck, throwing a mouse/keyboard from windows, LOL, and social. etc etc.

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think that poker should be available as a course in college.

In all reality, it would be far, far more relevant to intellectual growth than some of the courses required to complete a four year degree today.

My girlfriend graduated Summa from a highly academic university and there were still kids in her classes during her senior year who could barely read and write. They all graduated. I sat in on a few of the debates she performed and even some of the most intelligent, educated students could barely form a coherent argument or stick to facts. They were pretty retarded, actually.

S

Superman2102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly wouldn't want to bring my kids up as gamblers, so not sure I would introduce them to poker until they got a little older. I know some people will say that poker can still be fun without money, and of course it can be, but we all know it's not the same game when no stakes are on the line, even if only a little bit.

72ofclubs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say yes to teaching poker can help them learn many skills

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imo, it's ok to include kids in a family poker game, but I wouldn't suggest playing headsup4rollz with them. :D

I think it can help to demystify things like alcohol to children, and I see no problem with introducing them to a sip of wine at a dinner for example. Some neighbors did that for their son and myself at family dinners; neither of us developed alcohol problems.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With or without the fiscal incentives (or deterrents) poker is a skill and strategy game just like as was alluded to above, many other fun games.
Risk, Catan, Stratego, Othello etc etc.

So ya, why not.

B

brokenlung911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sure why not it's a card game of luck and skill

T

ThomasDelgado

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I think if poker is good to improve kids' mental side, then it is good to teach them poker. Everything has some positive side too, we have to look for it. Poker can make a positive impact on anyone's mind. Psychological benefits of poker are overwhelmingly positive

P

PerformLAB

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would love my kid to learn it from me, however, I would first want to make sure he understands the value of money, as well as knowing how to control himself, his feelings, as well as his ability to stop something when it becomes abusive.

Once these are under control, then, DEFINITELY ! Being an enthousiast myself, I am 100% sure that I will eventually teach him the in's and out's ( As far as I can ) of the game.

C

ChipsOwnerRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm too young to have children, but when I'll have, definitely I'll learn them to play poker if they will like this game. I think is important for kids to know how to play games like poker or chess which can develop their mind.

R

roxyleb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think a poker player wouldn't mind teaching a kid poker . But for someone who doesn't play poker, they might see it in a different perspective. I personally think that poker should be available as a course in college. There is so much more beyond the gamble. I believe students can benefit alot on just studying the mental side of it alone.
it is teached as a course in college, a proffesor that i had in university told us. because it helps in analyzing situations and taking decisions in a short time and under stress

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker should be taught at a young age, great way to learn social skills and logical thinking.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of wagering.The best skilled players wagering succeed.It could be played in college or high school as some kind of math credit vs other schools. I think any younger is too early.

Last edited:
S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If your kid is at the age where they allow them to play full contact football I think they can handle playing poker.

Honestly the best of the best seem to be the ones who start as wittle ones

Tiger Woods

Phil Ivey

Lebron James

Stu Ungar

Michael Jordan

Countless musicians

and many more

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with many of you other people.

Chess and poker helps children to focuse and concentrate. The best thing about this is that one game can take severel hours so they have to concentrate for quite some time.

In 8th and 9th grade I actually was at a school a bit like boarding school and chees was on the schedule 4 hours a week.

I learned a lot from chess helping me in the future study life.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with everyone saying teach poker in school.

Especially cuz the guy teaching it won't have a real solid grasp and will give them less than ideal teaching. Which leads to the next generation of fish for me.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker should be taught to every child everywhere. It's an invaluable skill