Should Slow Rolls Be Penalized?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Annoyance, but not penalty worthy

Slow rolling is part of the game. If you don't like it, learn to live with it. Perhaps play turbo sites.
Slowing down the game may be part of some player's strategy. It is very subjective.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is definition of slow rolling:-

A slow roll is when a player purposefully pauses before calling a (usually all-in) bet with an extremely strong or unbeatable poker hand. It’s also considered a slow roll when a player intentionally pauses before revealing the winning hand at showdown.
A pure show of bad sportsmanship and taunting, the goal of a slow roll is to give the opponent hope that they are going to win the hand, only to pull the rug out from under them.
Most of the comments do not seem connected to this. But as this professional site states it is considered bad sportsmanship, so do players agree or think this tactic is fine?

K

kngofpkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gme gives that time, who cares? But i hate to wait when i bet a big bluff

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think slowrolling could be only penalized in live poker because how can you know if a player is slowrolling online? he could be having internet connectivity issues or maybe he is multitabling and for that reason is stalling the game, and not because of slowrolling. if a player on a live tournament takes more than 30 seconds to call an all in on the river with the nuts and only 2 players are involved in the pot ( he or she) and the player who shoves all in) then this player should have at least a 1 round penalty which is the same penalty for checking the nuts on the river when you are the last player to act.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it's not against the rules than all players can play as they wish and weather others like it or not should not influence their play. That being said I personally choose not to slow roll but again that's by choice. Respect is a thing of the past unfortunately.

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something to consider for live games perhaps, online there are too many possible causes besides deliberate slow-rolling.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is not against the rules but it should be, at least for the stone cold nuts. If you have the first nuts and you are the last to act facing an allin and you don't immediately call, you are wasting everyone's time and being extremely disrespectful to the person who is going to bust when you call, especially in a tournament with no re-entry, that person could have gotten up and left right away but you have them staying, waiting for you to call and turn over the nuts. It is ridiculous.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Sometimes I play 4-5 tables at a time, and I need time to make decisions. Do you offer to penalize players who play 4-5 tables at a time?
If you are bored, try playing more tables.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
Sometimes I play 4-5 tables at a time, and I need time to make decisions. Do you offer to penalize players who play 4-5 tables at a time?
If you are bored, try playing more tables.

If you look at the entry above slow rolling is nothing to do with taking time to make decisions. Its deliberately waiting to flip over the winning hand when you have won, normally with the nuts so your opponent think they have won and then rub it in their face.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone can adopt any style he wants in poker as long the game itself allows it.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No for sure, it's part of the game. If slowrolling will tilt your opponent then why not, you have all the rights to do it

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone plays as can. PS gives a certain time for thought, and I do not think that we are allowed to cut this time, and even more we cannot punish them for it.
You can play more tables, and you will not notice that someone pulls time, you will have your own problems.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No for sure, it's part of the game. If slowrolling will tilt your opponent then why not, you have all the rights to do it

That's one reason but what about when it knocks your opponent out? Then there is no advantage to you and seen this live. If it cannot affect their game and give you any advantage which would seem at least a strategy, when it knocks the player out and does not provide that, seems cruel.

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A good penalty for slow rolling is good ole karma... always finds a way to bite ya in the ass

stampide

stampide

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think every player can use theyr time as he want

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know there's no any penalty set for slowroll on rules but it's not respectful act so eventually on live games it gains displeasure from other people at the table. By the way I'm talking about exactly those - who has absolute nuts, last to act but takes tones of times. It's not pleasant move obviously.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In fact, Slowroll has its factor involved in guaranteeing some prize. So much at a final table to let opponents face each other and I'm sure that haste is the enemy of perfection. Penalty I think not because there are Hyper turbo tournaments for those who are in a hurry to play.
:)

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. Such players act within the rules. This is one of the ways to achieve the goal in the game.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you look at the entry above slow rolling is nothing to do with taking time to make decisions. Its deliberately waiting to flip over the winning hand when you have won, normally with the nuts so your opponent think they have won and then rub it in their face.

If you play online, then you can not be 100% sure that your opponent is doing it on purpose !

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play online, then you can not be 100% sure that your opponent is doing it on purpose !

Yep, impossible to tell on time, but seen this live too.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
slowrolling could be used as a strategy to frustrate the impatient player, One thing about this game is that you must remain calm, cool and collected.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so, it may be a bitchy move, but I reckon they're within their rights to do so.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't see much slow rolling live because you have to face that person and the rest of the table,online nobody cares,you do it live your gonna get called out by everyone,all it doe's is show what a real bad sport that player is and puts a target on themselves