Severe burnout from the game. where to get energy from?

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Has anyone encountered anything like this? If so, please tell us how you did it...

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
You need to take break, and avoid play at least one weak, maybe reading or seeing how to improve your game.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My longest break was for one year. But that one year I studied and watched poker more than ever and came back fresh. Never stopped since then. Also having other things in life except poker certainly help.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Facing severe burnout in poker can be challenging, but the key is to seek renewed sources of energy within the game itself. Exploring new strategies, challenging the current tactical approach and learning from every experience, even losses, can help revitalize your connection to poker. Additionally, sharing passion and stories with fellow players can serve as a valuable source of inspiration. Taking mindful breaks and making sure you take care of both your mental and physical health are crucial elements of maintaining positive and sustainable energy in the game.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I've been exhausted many times for long tournaments and out of focus, but I can't fix it.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You really should take a break - a walk, an evening with a girl, your favorite book or TV series - anything just to take your mind off it. And don't blame yourself for it if you don't take a break - the results will definitely get worse and it will make you feel even crappier. Good luck and don't give up!💪

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You are unlikely to experience poker burnout if your game is doing well!!! Rather, this is a consequence of a series of bad beats and coolers, or simply a bad game leading to tilt!!! I can’t recommend anything new to you except take a break from the game and learn some theory so that after a rest you can put your new knowledge into practice!!!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break. Also try to have a schedule to avoid overkill.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I burned out two and a half years ago, I am still on a break, and it doesn't look like I am getting any better. I just don't have the inclination to play any more, I suppose I am too old and set in my ways, but Poker has no appeal any more.
I don't go to the Pubs to drink any more, because I don't see any sense in paying out £10 in Taxis to get there and back plus paying over £3.00 a Pint when I can drink at home for a fraction of the cost. If the Lockdowns by the Government was an Idea to make us all anti social and to stay at home, They certainly succeeded with me. :(

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Has anyone encountered anything like this? If so, please tell us how you did it...
Take the opportunity to do other things in your life that you enjoy, or find other things to do. It's your mind revolting against an activity that you are doing way too much. There's no shame in doing less of it or even stopping for a while until you have a desire to try again.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That would be a clear sign you are playing too much and reason to stop until it is over. I have never let myself get to that point - I would take a break at the first sign of burn out. Poker shouldn't be more important to you than that. :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, this happens to many poker players, they play a lot of games and after that in a couple of months they get tired of poker, and of course the best way is to go somewhere so as not to play poker or just relax with friends and not play poker. I took a break from poker for a week I didn't play games at all and after that the interest in playing poker again just needs a rest for each other

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think every player at a certain stage of his life faced such a problem. But in my case, the solution to this problem was very simple. I just took a break for almost two months, and it helped me regain my desire, re-analyze my game, and generally just start playing better.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Burn out is very common. I'd say it depends on the person and the reason , You will do yourself some great justice taking some time away from poker, may it be a month or a year, its up to you, Its best to find some form of renewed confidence and energy. Try studying some/ review. Maybe some training vids, twitch, youtube, televised poker... Taking a little time away to wipe the mental slate, Take a break. The game isn’t going anywhere. Making money is the goal but what’s the point of playing if you aren’t having fun and losing?

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Poker, online poker and real life balance is important.

I don't have this problem. I have wife, step-kids, a job and a number of other hobbies. I wish had more time for poker honestly.

My advice which you should take 110%. Get away from the game for awhile likely at least a few months. I'd suggest get out, get a life and start enjoying it.

^With that said I'd still make time for studying weekly or bi-weekly. Just because you're on a break doesn't mean you can't work on improving you game at least in my opinion experience. 2-3 hours week isn't much.

Now the question will be when to return to playing. Honestly can't answer that for you depends on you and how bad your burnout is. I mentioned above at least a 2-3 months. That's what I'd aim for to start as a goal in my mind. I'd review that goal in 2-3 months. How I felt and how much I have think I've improved/learned from studying over that time would also weight into the decision. But I'm still not feeling it then add another month and review then. Rinse and repeat.....in the end you'll just know when you're ready mentally to come back.

Once back the challenge then is to keep a good poker and real life balance so you don't get burnout and don't need to take a break for months. This is something else you can work on and think about while away from the game. Figure out schedule for yourself.

In my 20 years experience the best and most profitable days to play no matter what you play or site you play on are Thursday-Sundays. The worst days are Mondays-Wednesdays. If I had the choice I'd play cash tables Thursdays and Fridays. Why? Those are most peoples paydays. Recs who just get paid love to throw money around and away and can't wait to home to get to the tables.
Saturdays-Sundays have all the major MTT's and when most everyone is playing cause people have weekends off. If you're not an MTT guy more cash tables it is.
Mondays-Wednesdays are days off except for a couple hours of studying.

^Sadly I don't get to choose my schedule. But that's the best most profitable schedule to play.

Best of luck enjoy the small break, get refreshed and get a good schedule figured out so you don't burn-out.

Cheers!!!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens that you get tired of playing - I try to devote more time to sports, sometimes I change the discipline in poker - I play a different game, sometimes I watch streamers

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You take a complete break, clear your mind 100%, don't think about poker for a moment and the energy and desire alone return, it usually takes me two days at most to return with the desire and focus at 100%

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I think in such a case the game should be paused for a shorter or even longer time.
I used to play a lot, then I stopped for years, now I've been playing again for a while, but not as much as before.
If you're burnt out, be sure to take a break until you're inspired again. After a while, you will miss the game anyway, and then you might be more motivated to play again.
In such a state, you will only make bad decisions anyway and may end up in a negative spiral.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
stay positive. play short period of time. if you loose a big hand step away and take a break. let your mind cool down

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never lost interest in the game. That is, in other words, I never experienced "burnout". Maybe it's because I don't play as often as I'd like. It is always difficult for me to find free time to play. Of course, there are days when I'm just not in the mood, but such days are very rare, and on such days I just do what I like best.

Top 10 Games