Runner Runner: Poker Movie Review

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From a poker player standpoint it was bad because of the way it portrayed the online poker industry. And the bit where he is 4 tabling with $17k in a bar with all of his friends watching just isn't realistic of what a grinder would be doing.

From a movie standpoint it was okay - it held my interest all the way through.

P

PokahAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That movie is nothing special.... THe trailer is better than the movie ofcourse

:) They invest more in trailer than in the moive . All you pro's this movie is not for professional poker player to watch. Anyway this movie is good because can bring New Players or Babyboom , it means more fishes:)

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, Not at all what a poker player expects from a "poker" movie.

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do like the movie as it is the other side of poker, shows how we can get the money if they wanted the big online poker rooms. in synthesis show the dark side of poker ...

K

KladZad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i wached this movie yestarday,at all it has a little about poker,maybe a better poker movie is lucky you with eric bana

H

hitmen44

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
saw it about a month ago.i thought it was pretty good.

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was dissapointed with this having expected an in depth modern story line relating to online poker I had hoped and anticipated it modernising rounders to the online boom.
I was very sad to find this wasn't the case.

it was an awful film but it had a handful of good moments and clips in the film but it let itself down towards the end,
I would rate it as average but given my expectations of poker It really felt alot worse
Sums up my feelings about it pretty well.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ugh, my coworkers had this movie playing while I was distracted by actually playing poker. I had absolutely no interest, because I look up and the main character is surrounded by people in a party like atmosphere and loses his whole bankroll. 1. Why was all of his BR on one table? 2. Why are you playing with those kind of distractions if your whole BR is on the table??

Then I caught a glimpse of the seen where he gets into the party to confront the owner of the site, instead of just e-mailing the sites security team that any decent site should and does have that will review any suspicious play.

Needless to say, I tuned the rest of the movie out and kept playing poker.

G

Goathair

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i didn't watch this for a long time. Some of the reviews i read were pretty bad, and didn't have very high hopes, but i didn't think it was that bad.

GGC2912

GGC2912

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I din't watch this movie expecting it to be a Poker thriller
So in all, pretty entertaining movie for me

guppystew

guppystew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
explains about the greed in hosting sites.

B

Boriska797

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Film excellent.And name please yet good films?!

B

bozichka05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the trailer but the film no :(

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched this movie very good with good acting :cool: :cool:

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't really like this movie because I guess it hit too close to home. Poker is basically my life right now and any hint that it could be rigged makes me wonder why I would devote my life to something that is predetermined?

And i know that if the kind of shady things in the movie are going on in some of the sites in the poker industry, then it is likely that it would be the sites I am registered on that are guilty of this since they are the ones that are overseas bucking US law.

So, the movie disturbed me a bit. I would like to think the art I've devoted my life to is an honest and fair art wherever it is offered and whereever I practice it. This movie kind of makes me lose faith in that.

And if the sites I play on are like that, then what is the point of putting my countless hours into perfecting my poker skills?

Most likely, many americans have no faith in the current US poker offerings out there and so they refrain from engaging in one of America's most treasured pastimes. I think US REGULATION of poker can bring faith back into the poker industry.

I just wish the regulation of poker would happen more quickly. New York, they say, should be regulating poker by the end of 2014....I hope the reality does not fall short of this estimation....

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, I thought this was a documentary... I have completely lost interest and I am perfectly happy with Rounders being the pinnacle of my movie choices :)

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, no poker.. Was ok i thought but wont watch it again unless it on cable.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't seen it yet. Probably will get it from Netflix. Sorry to hear that most people think it's not that good. I'll watch it someday. Take care

guppystew

guppystew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is always the stock market, it's not rigged by the greedy.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ummm actually the stock market has been being front ran by computers programmed to quickly buy the stocks you are trying to buy and then selling the stock you just tried to buy to you for a slightly higher price then what you tried to buy it at all at a fraction of a millisecond.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Saw it... Was ok but no poker action. Was a little sad not too see more poker. Was ok but wont go out of my way to see it again.

B

Bazslazs93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was very interesting movie about poker world. I dont know is it true or fiction but interesting :D