run it twice

F

fkucdaw0rld

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest reason is probably for the variance, but i think more often than not its just as a courtesy to the person who's behind so that he doesnt lose too much (especially in the high stakes games where the pot can b upwards of like 750k)...they know that the discarded cards are taken out of the equation, so they know the odds arent exactly 50/50 if they run it twice, depending on the outcome of course, but i think like someone else said earlier its generally just to be able to run it twice if you're ever behind urself

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand the idea about reducing variance. However, if the cards are not reshuffled, then that "second run" is not independent of the first. Are the cards reshuffled between each run? I can't seem to find a definitive answer online.

No, the cards aren't reshuffled between runs. In a live game the cards from the first run are left on the table and just moved out of the way so the second run can be dealt.

So yes, this does mean that if someone hits a flush on the first run they've got one less out to hit it again on the second run.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, the cards aren't reshuffled between runs.

OK, thanks.

So yes, this does mean that if someone hits a flush on the first run they've got one less out to hit it again on the second run.

Or worse, if you've got a pocket pair and need to hit runner-runner after the flop to make quads or a gut shot straight flush, if you hit one of your cards but not the other during the first run, you lose all successive runs no matter what turns up.

Also, in cases like that, if you run it four times, the most you can possibly win is 25% of the pot no matter what.

I'd have to do the math, but that at least seems to carry the possibility of reducing your expected value in addition to reducing the variance. Granted, it shouldn't be by much, but still.

Does anyone know if this has been worked out mathematically yet or not? I would think so...

noW

noW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can Run It Twice @ FT but why can't you run it a bigger amount?
3 or 4?

Maybe they could make a check box advanced details and the rake should stay the same.
I don't see why they charge 1$ for a RIT.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can Run It Twice @ FT but why can't you run it a bigger amount?
3 or 4?

Maybe they could make a check box advanced details and the rake should stay the same.
I don't see why they charge 1$ for a RIT.

I haven't used the feature but I suspect because it would slow the game down - in a live game it's not a big deal to negotiate how many times you want to run the board because you're already getting bugger all hands per hour. It could slow the game right down though if you had to stop to negotiate how many times you were going to run it online so having just once or twice with checkboxes to automate it makes the most sense.

As for why they're charging an extra dollar, the answer is the obvious one: because they can.

N

Neoblast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hum, what was the shortcut to enable it in full tilt?

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in 'options'
tick 'run it twice by default'