Rules on re-raise

N

newboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone answer these queries:

Am I allowed to re-raise if I was the last person to raise.
eg. if there are 2 players left and I raise $10. The other player checks to match my bet. Can I then raise again? Providing we haven't had the 3 raise limit per round exceeded.

Also, on a similar note am I allowed to raise more than once in a single round of betting?
eg. if there are 2 players left and I raise $10, my opponent see's the $10 and raises $10. Can I then see him and raise him or just call?

We're fairly new to the game and need to clear-up our rules a bit!!

Updated Feb 2018:

If you are brand new to poker and want to know some of the very basics before you get started check this guide out:

How to Play Online Poker

Once you have the basics down practice on some play money tables to get comfortable with playing - once you are okay with that you can advance to playing freerolls to help build a bankroll.

We have some great private ones here at CardsChat:

Freeroll Passwords - PokerStars, 888poker, Partypoker & More

Last edited by a moderator:
MDR86

MDR86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
newboy said:
Am I allowed to re-raise if I was the last person to raise.
eg. if there are 2 players left and I raise $10. The other player checks to match my bet. Can I then raise again?

if there are 2 players left and I raise $10, my opponent see's the $10 and raises $10. Can I then see him and raise him or just call?
The answer to your first question is no if the other players in the hand just call and don't raise that round of betting is over. In a live game if you are the first to act the next round of betting, you can bet in the dark. But the other players can wait until the next card comes to see if they want to act. But internet poker doesn't have betting in the dark, at least not any site that I have played so far.

The second question. You can raise again if you feel so inclined. I hope this helps a little. And if any of this is wrong I am sure someone else will correct me and tell you otherwise.

S

smtbonzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nope you are correct....:beer:

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MDR has it right. No to question #1. Yes to question #2.

The only thing I'd add is in reference to newboy's comment about 3 raise limit. First of all, this only applies to limit poker, not no limit or pot limit. Secondly, the 3 raise limit typically no longer applies once you are heads up against an opponent, so you will usually be allowed to keep raising until all of the money is in.

Poker Rules - Poker Games