• Thread starter schnozzinkobenstein
  • Start date
schnozzinkobenstein

schnozzinkobenstein

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure most of you play both ring and tournament games, but which do you prefer?

Right now I prefer ring games. Rarely do I feel that I am relying on luck. I can just wait for the cards I want because the blinds are not destroying my stack (which feels infinite with proper BRM) Aside from the psychological aspect of it, my entire game feels like a number crunch. Do I have the odds to call? How often does this player commit this type of action? etc. I like that; it makes me feel safe.

I don't know how wrong this is if you're good at tournaments, but for me to win, I have to win a few coin flip or 60/40 hands, and if I get unlucky with even one of them I get squat for winnings (whether squat is a little piddle or shit). If I lose a tournament, I have wasted perhaps hours of my time and all I have to show for it is a smaller BR. If I lose in a ring game, maybe I lost a buy-in, but I probably have previous winnings that make up for it at least somewhat. Although now that I think of it, the tournament player has bigger winnings that counteract his bigger losses.

...Ah, variance. That just ruined my whole reason for not liking tournaments, other than that I stink at them.

Still, I'd like to know what you guys play and why.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play both, but have always played mtts/sngs, as opposed to only recently playing ring(waiting for harringtons book on ring before I play more).
For me, I love mtt's and going deep, and cashin, etc, but it's tough when you dont cash for a while, even though you play your 'A' game.
Ring is ok, but I hate the severe ups and downs sometimes, and the grindin for a couple of hours and realising youve only broke even!

Last edited: