Revisiting - WHY DO WE PLAY POKER?

C

cloverlines

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the competition. I think it's fun and I like money.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love competition, i love putting myself up against other people and trying to be the best i can... I played sports all through HS quarterback of the football team, captain of the lacrosse team.. blah blah blah.. I just find it so much more exciting that you use your mind instead of athletic ability.. You can put yourself against any person from any walk of life..

I love getting to meet new people in live play.. and the extreme challenge you can put you mind through by multitabling online... of course money has always been the main motivator for poker for me but my competitive nature is what makes me passionate about it...

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a lot like you..I started for fun, the extra money was nice and at all, but wasn't the main reason. With the years, the game is not that fun anymore, most of the times, I just play because I want to win some money.
I don't think that the game is a lot more harder to win now, but I do noticed that after that Black Friday my profit is not that good anymore.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the dream of hitting the big time.

I would settle though, with getting rolled for £10nl and develop enough to beat it for £450 a month. Would make a massive difference for me.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every player is bleeding slowly from the start of the game until the finish & only 1 player can be the Top dog that didn't bleed to death .
this is just a metaphor,makes sense to me.dont understand why everyones calling you crazy.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker because my xbox died

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I play this game

In a conversation recently - related to feeling blue about long bad streak - the following was brought up:

I found it very interesting to go over my own "motivators" and how it changed over time, and how poker changed over time.

For me...
Poker started out (apx 5 years ago) as a entertainment, that in a fact did not cost me anything, but it was self sustaining - it was even making a few $'s, and made me very happy. Making friends - becoming member of a community was for sure big part of the fun. So was discussing poker and anything else with the friends I made. There were some team games at that time - the competitiveness was great fun and was in real sportsmanship spirit. (this was at Poker.com - later named PDC - their forum).
The game in general was far less "sophisticated".

The game CHANGED a lot. To maintain some sort of even balance - or positive outcome - I think today you must "study" poker - read a lot (which I am just starting) - and have a HUD (which I do not). What I am saying is that the "game" is far more "serious". Way more people are very knowledgeable about the game. In some ways - I find that today poker is considerably more challenging and far less just an entertainment.

What did not change - is I love to win - and I love the "excitement" of getting close to final table - even more - ON final table working towards a WIN.
That excitement, that process and sharing it with friends - is totally addictive for me. As such - I have to change - as the game changes ....

Of course this is just ME, but it is interesting to think about it all.

I wonder if it is just me who finds that in time there is a change in what we are looking for - perhaps for personal reasons - and perhaps because of changes in online poker...

Very nice subject, I play poker for two reasons. First of all I love this game because it's a mix of luck, math and psychology because of all that I love texas hold 'em. The second reason is, of course, money..

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
-Casual players are fewer online these days
-Less casual players online =l ess casual players live
-more 3, 4, 5 betting
-more calling or all in with squadoush

D

dragonflyamb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's see, it's fun; it's a challenge; i'm not a very social person, poker makes it easy to hang out with others because i don't have to make small talk, but still have good conversations; gives my husband and i something to be competitive with each other and supportive of the other at the same time

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker because it's MY LIFE SON!

-enough said.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I play any poker today, it will be out of boredom. I seldom do well when I play because I am bored, so I probably won't, but certainly in the past I have played because I was bored.

bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play because I like classic gaming board, card and dice.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a drag racer, being 67 years old I don't get to the race track that much anymore, So for me it's the completion.