Revisiting - WHY DO WE PLAY POKER?

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a conversation recently - related to feeling blue about long bad streak - the following was brought up:

I remembered when I first played my motivations were..
Enjoyment, competitive drive, money, something to do

Now...
Money, competitive drive, end of list.

the sites have changed from what I remembered from a few years ago...

What was it that gave you enjoyment online?
and is it that you're not enjoying those same things anymore?
or it is that those things you enjoyed have changed?

I found it very interesting to go over my own "motivators" and how it changed over time, and how poker changed over time.

For me...
Poker started out (apx 5 years ago) as a entertainment, that in a fact did not cost me anything, but it was self sustaining - it was even making a few $'s, and made me very happy. Making friends - becoming member of a community was for sure big part of the fun. So was discussing poker and anything else with the friends I made. There were some team games at that time - the competitiveness was great fun and was in real sportsmanship spirit. (this was at Poker.com - later named PDC - their forum).
The game in general was far less "sophisticated".

The game CHANGED a lot. To maintain some sort of even balance - or positive outcome - I think today you must "study" poker - read a lot (which I am just starting) - and have a HUD (which I do not). What I am saying is that the "game" is far more "serious". Way more people are very knowledgeable about the game. In some ways - I find that today poker is considerably more challenging and far less just an entertainment.

What did not change - is I love to win - and I love the "excitement" of getting close to final table - even more - ON final table working towards a WIN.
That excitement, that process and sharing it with friends - is totally addictive for me. As such - I have to change - as the game changes ....

Of course this is just ME, but it is interesting to think about it all.

I wonder if it is just me who finds that in time there is a change in what we are looking for - perhaps for personal reasons - and perhaps because of changes in online poker...

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's exciting to do illegal stuff...;)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just like to be a degenerate so it fits with me.

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it keeps me out of the tavern and pennies in my pocket

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every player is bleeding slowly from the start of the game until the finish & only 1 player can be the Top dog that didn't bleed to death .

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every player is bleeding slowly from the start of the game until the finish & only 1 player can be the Top dog that didn't bleed to death .

Dude what the ****.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing has changed for me. I started playing poker to make money. That is the reason I play today. When the end of year bookkeeping shows a negative balance, I will quit.

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Myself i have a goal of beating the interest if the money was the bank.. :)

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed the increase of the skill level over the last couple of years as well. I think a lot of this is due to black Friday. Most players that you see on American sites today are serious about poker and are not just playing for fun. I think that a lot of the casual American poker players no longer play due to lack of freerolls, lack of tournament selection, and lack of deposit and withdraw methods. I believe that playing in a .02 .05 game on American sites today you are facing better players then at .25 .50 games on pokerstars pre black Friday. Hopefully if America legalizes online poker some of those casual players will come back.

cdidit622

cdidit622

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I played cards since I was in 5th grade, In high school I was gambiling with the teachers and janitors. Started playing poker 6-8 years ago. I always had a passion for poker but didn't have anybody to play with. I never thought about online poker because I thought it was a scam until maybe a year before all the sites got shut down. I just love to compete and this games brings me all action and enjoyment I seek. I went through a very bad run last year and took off some months but I honestly don't see me ever quitting this game!

OpenTheCan

OpenTheCan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker because I love a challenge and its fun as heck!!!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is the same for me as it was when I started.
Gettin to hang with degenerates is just icing on the cake.

G

gotchips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play poker for a chance at success...

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Dude go see a doctor your a sick individual.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because it's more fun than playing the lottery.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cause **** society

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for fun :) It is a fun way to spend a couple hours and forget about everthing else.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it was (is) fun
but now i play for spite
lol
cuz I know I will hit a huge win one day
then I can rub it in all my friends face
who say Ive been wasting my time for years ;)