My Revised Philosophy on Poker

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally see the same names in the freerolls in the money. Are they lucky and rest are just unlucky? Can you share you're original philosophy or the unrevised version? Nice to the metamorphosis of this concept.
I don't follow who is in the money in freerolls so I'll take your word that some folks are winning more often than others.

As I said, it's all about managing luck. Drawing AA is lucky. Drawing AKs when your villain has AA is unlucky. Knowing how to play with AA, or against AA w/ AKs , post-flop is all about managing that luck. More often than not you're going to lose w/ AKs against AA. But how much you lose depends on how you manage your bad luck. And in certain circumstances you can win w/ AKs without improving your hand. In that case you've skillfully managed your initial bad luck by outplaying your opponent. But, if your opponent is bullheaded or draws a third Ace no amount of skill is going to get him to fold. In that case the only way you are going to win is by getting luckier than him/her.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is, when preparation meets opportunity:elefant:

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can definitely say that believe in poker math, its dispersion, expectancy etc. And it seems to me that the luck is reflection of your level of poker math knowledge. Wouldn't you think?

I think that Liv Boeree says it much better than I ever will.

Her basic blueprint? Approach life the same way a high-stakes crusher approaches a poker game – by making it about math and probability.
Like a poker player on a heater, it’s easy for people to underestimate the role that luck plays in our daily lives, according to Boeree.
“When we’re experiencing success, it’s important to ask ourselves, ‘How much of it is truly down to us?,” she notes. “Because our egos love to downplay the luck factor when we’re winning.”​
https://www.cardschat.com/news/watc...ck-life-and-danger-of-trusting-your-gut-72131

Well put Liv! I can personally tell when I'm on a lucky run. It doesn't happen often, but when it does the feeling is unmistakeable. That's when it's most important to play textbook poker because you can expect (for a short time) that everything you've learned will actually play out according to the odds.

Sometimes being lucky is really just not being unlucky.

Last edited:
dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first requirement for you to do well in poker is to eliminate the word luck from your dictionary, after that you can dedicate yourself professionally to playing poker, not before.

That word can hurt you for a long time .. s much better to analyze your behavior to the maximum, the calls, the bets, in your range ... , I recommend better to think in the software, instead of even touching the word luck.
conclusion: it is harmful to include that word in our vocabulary as players.

Last edited:
Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I agree with you. I also consider it very important to make the most of the days when you are lucky. But it is also important to minimize loss in the day when you are not lucky.

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it not true that most hands don't go to showdown.
If that is the case then it does not matter what cards you are dealt.
What matters is your ability to bluff convincingly and your ability to estimate what hand your opponents may have when they call or reraise. If that makes any sense, then luck has nothing to do with it.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best poker management and the mind of the player himself, after all he commands the actions. .

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What do we consider 'luck'? Catching the right card to win the pot seems like the obvious definition in poker. In my opinion, the only time 'luck' comes into play in poker is when a player has made the wrong bet, given the situation, and catches the card they need to win. At all other times, we are not talking about luck, but rather 'odds', 'percentages', and 'probabilities'.
For example: The pot is small and a player is looking at a one outer. Calling a bet in this situation is hoping to get lucky, despite the odds.

G

gerrrr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that more than skill and luck is about who wins the poker room, I never finish to convince online poker, I do not think the gameplay is completely reliable.

K

Kalamari

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything is alright except the MAY BE part with enough volume poker is ALL skill

Pokericon08

Pokericon08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

Luck will only take you so far. It plays a part in all things in life though. Skill, discipline, patience, intuition, judgement, acting ability, knowledge, experience, and many other things combined are all necessary to be a great poker player.

This should be a game of class, dignity, respect, and honor at all times. Mouthy, poorly behaved, classless players destroy the game. Soar losers who cuss at opponents and complain should be banned.