Really Really Dumb question

M

maolitas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not really an expert, but imho, pros blame him because he won more thanks to luck than thanks to his skills in poker

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not really an expert, but imho, pros blame him because he won more thanks to luck than thanks to his skills in poker

True, but the fact that he did it while acting like an ass is also very important. Winning the wsop twice with 10-2 is pretty damn lucky, but you don't see the fans and players all hating on Texas Dolly.:cool:

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i seen him play just thought when he won some questionable hands he was way to cocky for the hand that he probably shouldnt of even been in but he did win it all so be it still dont like him .

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, Gold is an asshole, and people genuinely hate him. I saw him on Poker After Dark and it was clear that the other players didn't like him. I certainly didn't like him, especially after he pulled a dickhead ploy on Allan Boston. Gold had pocket kings and Boston had an ace. After a no-help flop, Gold pushed all-in and Boston was thinking whether to call. Gold said, "I have king high." Boston said, "If that's true, I have pot-odds to call." Gold said, "The highest card I have in my hand is a king." Eventually Boston called, and Gold smugly rolled over the pair. Boston went OFF, and swore he would never play with Gold again, or be on the show again.

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, Gold is an asshole, and people genuinely hate him. I saw him on Poker After Dark and it was clear that the other players didn't like him. I certainly didn't like him, especially after he pulled a dickhead ploy on Allan Boston. Gold had pocket kings and Boston had an ace. After a no-help flop, Gold pushed all-in and Boston was thinking whether to call. Gold said, "I have king high." Boston said, "If that's true, I have pot-odds to call." Gold said, "The highest card I have in my hand is a king." Eventually Boston called, and Gold smugly rolled over the pair. Boston went OFF, and swore he would never play with Gold again, or be on the show again.

If Boston would've kicked his ass, which he deserved, that probably would've been one of the highest rated poker shows ever once it went into re-run!!

The dislike that the other players had for him on High Stakes Poker was really obvious, too.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the same reason we all get pissed at a certain type of player.

The kind of player who overplays whatever what they are holding and catches what they need to win long after they should have folded, and then just cannot help crowing about what a bonafidepokergenius they are.

Rather than exhibit a little thankful humility for random chance smiling on them in spite of their raging stupidity, they choose instead to rub OUR noses in their idiocy.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People don't like Jamie Gold because:
[x] He violated the WSOP rules during the Main Event
[x] He failed to split his winnings per agreement with Crispin Leyser and later settled out of court
[x] He's a cocky jerk
[x] He was an unknown

Since Moneymaker, most poker fans want to see a named player win the Main Event. And while Raymer and Hachem may not have been household names at the time they won the ME, they have subsequently proven that they were worthy ME champions based on their other wins in poker (WSOP final tables, Hachem has a WPT win, etc.).

Yang was almost as disliked as Gold, not because he was a jerk at the tables or off, but because he "lucked" his way to the win. And hasn't backed it up since then (in fact, Yang has hardly played in any major events since his ME win).