Rather lose with good or bad call?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot always win poker with the best hand, otherwise it will not be poker, but chess! Do you know a lot of people who play chess for money?

Gonmar111

Gonmar111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Incredibly when I have the best cards (AA, Ak and KK) I usually play everything, and I end up losing, I already said that I would stop playing with those cards and be more cautious, for all my experiences, but I can't just touch those cards, I I play with everything, I must learn to wait for the river, and then if the conditions are right, play with everything.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I lose to a better hand or one that has great potential I don’t even care, but I confess that when I’m too far ahead and lose to a hand that’s played very badly it makes me feel too much, like: I’m stuck on the floop and the guy shoving a lot of blinds in the drill and hitting river, losing a flush to a flush runner runner, among others ...:mad::mad::mad:

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're looking at it all wrong. You lost a hand that you're opponent had played poorly but they catch a miracle on the river and win the pot. You get upset when their bad play ends up costing money but what about all the times where you profit from the way they play. You don't like the fact that they were on the river and they were able to pick up on the little bit of equity they had but what about the other nine out of ten times when they make it all the way to the river but they don't improve their hand. I mean what's the alternative? Would you prefer for your opponents to all play well and to notput themselves in situations where they are so far behind. Would it be better if they only show up on the river with hands that have high equity. The type of bad beat spots that you are referring to often develop because there are many players who do not understand equity or pot odds. Often they will over value their hands which leads to them bloating the pot by the time they realize that their hand is likely beat many of them have a tough time given up on pots that they have already committed significantly to so they'll happily call all the way down to the river because they don't really understand how unlikely it is for them to improve to a winning hand. Often it's easy to get upset thinking that you would've won if only they hadn't played 4 9 off or whatever junkie combination it was. You don't want to berate the player or make fun of them for how they play. You want them to feel comfortable and for them to enjoy playing. Many of then won't mind sticking around and losing their money and long as they are have fun. The times when they do win just tell them nice hand and move on to the next one

Last edited:
Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Personally i don't mind if i lose with bad call/mistake from myself (at least from that i can learn) but it takes me over the moon to lose to 1-3 out bad beats. But i have read that others beg differ... how about you?

It's always a horrible feeling to get your chips in good, only to see the miracle card come on the river and you watch your chips slide across the felt into your opponents stack, but you have to think in terms of how the hand plays out in the long term. Your opponent has around 1-3% chance of hitting that card, that means that about 98 times out of 100 you are going to win that pot, so you WANT your opponent to call.

The joy of poker is that all players in the pot almost always have some % of equity in the hand until the last card is down and even when the river is dealt and they have 0% equity, they can still win! But if you can consistently get your chips in good and get called, you are going to print money in the long term.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel worse when I made a bad call because that means I had control of the outcome and just made the wrong decision. Making the right call and having them suck out though it doesn't feel very good, it to me is still less painful.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My feelings on this are...mixed. Like, my reaction to a loss on a good call depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I'm gratified that I couldn't be beaten through skill and had to be through luck, others I'm just pissed that my opponent got so lucky. As for losing on a bad call, it's never pleasant for me, but it's nothing compared to how I feel upon winning from a bad call. Like, I should win because I'm the better player not the luckier one. I get so angry at myself at times like that.

L

lintsikka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but you have to think in terms of how the hand plays out in the long term. Your opponent has around 1-3% chance of hitting that card, that means that about 98 times out of 100 you are going to win that pot, so you WANT your opponent to call.

But if you can consistently get your chips in good and get called, you are going to print money in the long term.

I've heard it 20 years now, still haven't paid out :confused:
I guess it would work better if you grind a lot of tables and tournaments and those 1-3% losses happens on deals where you ain't all in with your chips. Same goes with every hand that you are favourite until bad beat

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as frustrating as loosing to a bad beat you have to look back at the hand and know that if you made the right call that in the long run you will be winning. so i would have to say that in the long run i would rather make the right call and loose to a bad beat than make a donk play and loose.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it doesnt matter if i lose a huge favorite or as an underdog, its still the same thing, for the most part.

but, when i lose a hand as a huge favorite, i'm still winning in the long run.
all right. it’s not very important that you can lose with the best hand in some respects. victory, with normal tactics will be at a distance ..

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It stings when you lose after making a good call, but it helps a little knowing you made the correct decision

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would much rather lose from a good call. At least the loss is somewhat softened by the fact that my play was correct.

Similar with me, but it is more the fact that making a bad call makes me feel worse. It is one thing to lose (happens even when we play it perfectly as favorite is not 100%), but to know I misplayed it is worse. Then I know it was on me; if I lose off a good call, then it is just luck and that is not in my control. My making a bad call is in my control and should be avoided in the future whenever possible.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well for sure I prefer to lose a certain player because I know that in the short term I will win

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, let's state the obvious. I would really rather just win. But when it comes to losing, I would rather lose to good player with a good hand. Then I don't have problem saying "Nice hand. Good game. Good luck." On the other hand, when some donkey fart makes a horrible move with bottom pair and a weak kicker, and I pick him off because I've been paying attention and put him on his exact range, only for him to hit a 2 outer on the river, I'm never going to have any kind of nice, encouraging words for that guy. It doesn't help matters at all when the guy who just doubled through you manages to blow off 60xBB before the button can orbit the table.

But that's just me.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Usually, I try to be patient and play only with strong cards. I do not like to count on luck. The skills and discipline of the player are more important. That is why I avoid bad calls.

N

nutzing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont mind losing to a good call makes me furious when someone calls with a bad hand and gets lucky.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing about losing that is palatable. Good or bad call, worse is a suckout. Quick analysis and move on is what works for me.

P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
certainly losing with a good call is horrible but i hope i can learn more each day and more i know that i wont always win more i hope to learn lessons from all of them.
Envi

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it's best not to lose at all.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to lose from a bad or good raise, 3-bet, or overbet, but not from a call, there is no power in the call and there is no fold equity, I prefer to put my opponents in an awkward position than to puzzle myself in front of me or behind.:)

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don’t mind if I make a good call and get sucked out on. As long as I’m making good decisions and playing well the immediate result doesn’t matter. Playing well will equal a positive ev in the long run.