Racism in Poker

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel explained it very well in my opinion. Of course racism has no place in poker and poker itself is a game which is very far from racism by its nature. Unlike other games where players from some race or nationality have generally better results than other in poker there is no such thing. In poker there are good players and bad players and there is no matter what is their sex, race, religion, nationality or anything else. You either are good player or not. That's why i find it very strange someone to express racism in poker.

J

jay78111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Racim shoudnever exist on poker. even if they are on tilt lol

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think racism, as a term, risks being greatly diminished these days due to its overuse. I simply mean that it would take a great deal for me to label someone as a racist. I'm not so sure that the litmus test for racism in others is quite so high. I'm not saying that this makes me a better person, or even that I am necessarily correct in my assessment. It simply makes it hard for me to join the conversation in a meaningful way.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see very little to none playing live. Most people that are racist out at a poker table wont make comments regarding that. When I first started online there were plenty of disparaging comments toward race comming from ignorant flamers who had no clue of the person race not to mention the lack of self control.

There is no place for the type of behavior regardless where you are at, especially hiding behind a keyboard. Most people in ear shot of those comments will say something to the individual to point of public shamming or violence.

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Racism exists anywhere. There are different types of racism, for example. I am a Christian and I play poker but for other players I should not play poker. I find this a form of racism. There are Christian players in a variety of sports, but when a Christian says that he plays poker, he is discriminated against by both Christians and non-Christians.

maclina

maclina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So... "What do YOU PEOPLE think?" about Racism in Poker?

I mean have you felt discriminated against when Playing Poker either online or in live games?

I Know I have...

This Thread is for those who want to release a little tension by airing when they feel they were causally discriminated against while going to Poker Venues or maybe the way they've been treated online (Poker related).

Example: Live poker event wont let me wear my "burka" but every one has hoodies... I'm last to have my bar order taken, Every time "Whats that about?"...

For me one thing that annoys me is Every time I Need to show ID, My British Passport say's "Place of Birth Kitwe" and then the most dumbest question comes next "Are you British?" lol ummm its a British Passport so I'd guest Yes I am!!

Please don't let this thread turn into a mad crazy argument that only Trillian can save me from...

This thread ties into another thread previously live on CardsChat...

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/who-witnessed-cases-offenses-even-racism-351783/

Daniel has some interesting things to say about Racism in Poker too... https://fullcontactpoker.com/how-racist-are-you/

It's amazing that in 2019 people are still looking for equality. We are all different and that's the strength of the world. No to racism.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Racism is not good anywhere.
What an old thing, it is unacceptable that there is still anywhere. Racism is an act of people completely backward
[emoji107][emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Racism exists anywhere. There are different types of racism, for example. I am a Christian and I play poker but for other players I should not play poker. I find this a form of racism. There are Christian players in a variety of sports, but when a Christian says that he plays poker, he is discriminated against by both Christians and non-Christians.

That's More of a Prejudice. Nobody knows your Christian roots unless of course you state it. I mean I get where you're coming from but being an "off White" player will bring out some unsettling words/play out of some players. It's Sickening seeing it in the game

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been called "Stupid Mexican", after calling with an allin pre flop with Pocket Aces, against AK, busting him. I didn't take it personally, and forgot about the incident until I saw this thread. And this guy was being a dick to everyone in general, I just happend to bust him out.

Anyway, a quick way to decrease racism in poker is to hide everyone's nationallity. But then again, I doubt this is even a recurrent problem.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm against racism, even though no Poker! I believe man lives on Earth, not in a separate state! Man was born on the planet earth! We're all human! kind of one race!

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not racism.

That's More of a Prejudice. Nobody knows your Christian roots unless of course you state it. I mean I get where you're coming from but being an "off White" player will bring out some unsettling words/play out of some players. It's Sickening seeing it in the game

It is discrimination & hate based on religion, not race. And a federal hate crime statute if taken too far. It sometimes is both for example when it is directed against a Jewish person because so many hate them for their religion & humanity.

Attacks against mosques are examples of both. It is hatred against the religion & the people.

Always going to be low brow types who think hate is funny. Bullies who hurt & kill innocent folks they have never met. It is on the increase. Governments hate each other based on the very same differences. Thus entire countries grow up being taught to hate others for not being the same as they are. Nationalism.

It will eventually destroy everything & everyone. We just don't know exactly when. All the hate & pieces are in place.

So, it is nice to enjoy an occasional peaceful game of poker while we wait. We can only control our own actions.

Try to act out of compassion. We all have bad moments. Learn from them & move on. Don't start to enjoy it making it a part of you.

God bless. :rolleyes: :cool: :wavey:

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Total Agreement

I'd Agree with Every Poster to this thread so far...

It's easy to shrug off discriminatory comments if you've heard them so often it goes in one ear and out the other...

Yes there is discrimination which ever way you look at it, some against the religious, some aimed at what country you're residing in but all of it seems to be aimed at those who are doing better than others...

It could even be born out of jealousy who knows...

but i do know that this thread has helped me feel part of a bigger community who experience the same ups and downs, who go through life and still stand strong no matter what BS comes their way...

Thank You For That Feeling its great to know you're not alone... :party::party::party:

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Racism isn't a good thing, but there are a lot of players who hate some russians (play bad but get very lucky)

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Countless times I have seen discrimination. If somebody in the text bar has a hard time typing in English, a typical response by at least one person at the table is a racial slur of some sort. It makes no sense. I doubt the tables are full of 12 year old kids that speak like idiots, but they sure act like it. As well as directly insulting somebody, I have seen people throw a racial slur after a big loss or a big win by calling somebody a racial slur. Ignorant and stupid are understatements. This is something I have NEVER seen at a live poker table. I feel like anybody throwing a racial slur at someone should be banned on the spot.

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Country, race, religion, sometimes no excuse...

Racism isn't a good thing, but there are a lot of players who hate some russians (play bad but get very lucky)

A lot of poker based outbursts are tilt reactions based on beats; bad, lucky or well played. Some are simply poor losers no matter who or what the winner is. Some even take it a step further & demonstrate the same lousy behavior when they win. Bullies no matter what.

Nationality ALWAYS plays a role. The activity just happens to be poker. Nationality based hatred already exists in the people demonstrating it.

God bless. :cool:

Last edited:
MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not care what nation or skin color, we are all humans, and those people who put themselves above all others, let them live in the mountains or somewhere on Mars,:wavey: away from people. Never loved politicians and racists:mad::cool:

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Am I the "John" you are referring to? Nowhere in my post did I ask if Poster #1 was stupid? Nowhere. My post is there above yours. Prove your accusation. You do not need to apologize for something that does not exist or never happened.

My post was 100% in support of Inequitas's point. Still is.

"burka" is not new. It is a covering or wrap used by some Muslim/Islamic women in public as required by their beliefs/religion.

FYI... :confused: :idea: :dancing2:

The way I read Lee's comment, the John he was referring to was his friend's name, I believe.

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem, Shells... Long gone question...

The way I read Lee's comment, the John he was referring to was his friend's name, I believe.

Just asked. Much water under that bridge. Did not want a wrong impression of my original statement catching "fire". Already permanently in "hot" water with overwatch that has wanted me banned long ago. Do not want a misconstrued thought to fan "those" flames.

This is an old post & you are the only reply. I just assumed, as you stated, that some other "John" was intended & post just happened to follow mine.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings or the original poster. Unintended.

God bless. :wavey: :rolleyes: :cool:

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There really is racism everywhere and in poker it's no different, I've been called a monkey because I'm Brazilian, I'm of Caucasian origin, but my origin matters little, we're all the same.
don't pay attention my friend. no bad nations. there are bad people. sometimes mongrel barks on elephants

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
( only online poker) I'm not racist!! but many time it's happening. Some people look where I come from , and see Vanuatu. They tcheck on internet , see Aboriginal people on photo .
And send me text with racist terms about black people.
The must of the good reaction . Stay positive !! Don't say anything! Stay focus on the game ! I'm french , I'm not black , I don't care of racism.
But when I receive racism text during online game just cause I live in Vanuatu .
I just want to click on the button to ban him. ( If someone create it)
Let's the karma happening....and continue to play.:(:cool::mad::eek:

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, as a woman I have been discriminated.

The topics about religion and politics, always have confrontations, and it is normal for everyone to defend their point of view.

Fortunately, there are many people who want equality and respect.

Talking about everything ... Why has been banned John_3_16?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm happy. not crazy and not blind. I don't need to ask fate. but still .... let bread be cheaper on earth, and human life is more expensive