Pro or amateur

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pro is a guy who plays poker for a living. It`s hard to call a pro some1 who plays poker for fun.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Welllll... My first instinct and I actually started typing it out was a person who makes a living playing poker but then I was going to type or "off of poker"

Then I really thought about it and confused myself...

Lets say there is a sponsored poker player who is a losing player but makes a living through the sponsorship they are technically making a living because of poker but their income isn't coming directly from poker. Then there are players like Einhorn a business man who is more then likely a winning player at the highest level. - His income is from his business of Student loans but he is winning lots in poker... Though he probably gives most of his poker winnings away to charities..

Stefan Sandru

Stefan Sandru

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a pro.

For me a pro is a player who is master in poker rules and he have a large bankroll.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A pro a player who makes a lot of from poker and who is well verse in it.

carloskmargo

carloskmargo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me a professional poker player is a person who has an ethical good game I will not say great but good, respects your health, exercise, respects your bankroll and most importantly overcome every day, for me these are the conditions for being a professional in this discipline! :)

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never thought about that, good question. I guess before when i started i would say a pro is some one sponsored and representing a poker company and making a living or close too it.Today i would say a pro is anyone who can profit and showing discipline as said above. They also take it serious and track there play and have winning stats proving that their play is successful. My thought.

A

adnen1985

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A pro is a person is working is to play poker more then 12h/day

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pro is a person whose income is only from poker

J

jass503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pro must be a Player who knows how to read your game and anticipate your moves must be great calculating his odds and of course with a large carreer and bankroll

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pro is a player who makes his living playing poker. Also has to be his only source of income.

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A player who knows how to stand up when losing ,and when winning..

nsinalis11

nsinalis11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pro for me is a person that earns enough to live and stand alone.
I think a person not addicted to money but to the job to be done!

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pro player is someone who puts work away from the tables, has some notable earnings in his career and his main source of income is poker

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pro is a well rounded player has experience and doesnt go on tilt easy.
He/she is disiplined and plays the hands and situations the way he/she see fit.
For the money does it really matter ?
any one could get lucky and win the wsop main event and be a wiining player until they lose more then say 8 mil. So the money aspect can be totally confusing .
I think its best to ask is the player any good and does he/she have much skill.
If we cant determine if a player is any good because all we want to look at is how much they have won then we may make the wrong descision.
I know if you win any money in say WSOP and the other tours out there, you reregister as a pro the next time you register to play. Correct me if i am wrong .
Good Skill at the Tables

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pros

Should I be worried about being a pro and carry that lable with pride ?
Should I lay low learn the game and quietly win the money with out the other players knowing how good I am .
If I go around announcing I am a pro I think that would make them aware of how good i am and then they could defend and play more traps to take my money instead of me taking theirs.
Is a pro obligated to live in the hype and get on Television so he can carry the name pro and get the respect of others for the name.
Just curious as i was woundering to myself if the glamour and all that is really worth it .
Good skill at the Tables

D

Dareshell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when u are pro (in my opinion)

In my opinion, a pro player doesn't waste time with passwords, or freerolls, doesn't ever use the term "donk" and of course probably the most important of all, a pro can make his/her living off the poker tables.

maugli

maugli

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a amateur. Soon I'm going to become a professional and to quit my job where I work now. Professional is a player that plays live poker. So I think...

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a player can be considered a pro when he just lives for the poker and haves great results.