Poker Skills You Can't Teach

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first glance the skills that you can not just learn are those related to your own personality. For example the possibility to control your anger, to not show your emotions and to remain calm no matter what is going on in the table. Looking deeper though such things can be controlled but this is more related to psychology and your general behavior and not something specific to poker. Also it requires much more time and efforts to change.

In my opinion this possibility to not only constantly learn and improve your poker skills but to change even your mind and personality is what you need to become really great champion in this game.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe everything including patience can be taught. The won thing that can is your ability to implement these key skills into you gameplay. You can know all the answers but if you don't practice them and allow yourself to trust a new way or better way of thinking the knowledge will never be useful.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I believe patience is my strongest skill and one you cannot teach or learn in pokerschools or in books..

What other skills do you feel poker players need that you cannot teach?

I am always interested in the psychology behind what makes a great poker player, please share your thoughts and opinions with me, whats your greatest skill and what do you need to develop?

Regards

The pirate
Patience is needed to win poker hands, without it
you will be calling all ins and getting busted out.
Wait for the nuts and bust them out.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is good but for winning poker, this is not enough !!! skillful bluff, the right size of the bet, be able to throw out a strong hand in time and much more !!! all together this is the skill of poker !!!
read almost all posts ... patience, intuition, luck, math all this is very necessary in the game. but here's a tip, in my opinion an excellent "time to throw off a strong hand." this is not an easy task. that's what you need to teach yourself. and this is very important especially in such a room as poker stars

L

lantz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would agree patience is one of the most important.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is great, i used to have a lot of it but not anymore which makes me play some hands i shouldn't.

vagrantjunki3

vagrantjunki3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being able to get over a bad beat for sure is going to be one of the hardest things to get used to and for some people its impossible.

DeeNice002

DeeNice002

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got to be able to use your instincts put opponent on range lol
1424.jpg
I completely agree

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is a very good skill in poker, but I still need a lot to learn to make the right decisions when discarding good cards or when I need
to bet at the level of big bets in order to get good results, and I also need to learn how to use aggression when I have a good card so as not to scare off other players!

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Totally agree with you , patience is not something you can teach but it's on your own characteristics no one can teach you how to be patient you have to try it yourself and control your feelings

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ability of taking notes on how the opponents play and be able to recall their tendency are also important. So you can know what their actions represent.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience and discipline are both poker tools that a player will only learn with time and while learning these your game instincts will follow. :fight:

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many Poker players have the "I want to win now" mentality. They try to force their opponent's chips into their stack by making bets and raises... Even with almost no equity, they just WANT the chips now. They feel betrayed by Poker. They are here to collect their reward for all their "Hard work and sacrifice". Watch out for entitlement tilt.

Patience wins you more pots than Aces.

R

Last edited:
P

Priaza

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All you need is patience. And a little luck

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience
Confidence
Attrition
Stoicism

I'd say to play optimal poker you definitely need to grow as a person in these facets of your personality. Easier said than done but look at any professional (except maybe Hellmuth with stoicism) and you will see they have these characteristics.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience
Confidence
Attrition
Stoicism

I'd say to play optimal poker you definitely need to grow as a person in these facets of your personality. Easier said than done but look at any professional (except maybe Hellmuth with stoicism) and you will see they have these characteristics.
Hi there,

i really like the attrition - thank you - thats a valuable contribution.

Good skills for all aspiring poker players

regards

pirateglenn

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A knowledge of when a person is holding and when they are bluffing.
Also, a knowledge of when they think they have me when they don't.
Jb