Poker and private life

fabiancampos

fabiancampos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it affects a lot, even if you are already head of the household. You need to combine time very well, actually minimize the game of poker and give priority to the most important thing that is your family, sometimes you have to give in if you are a bad player, or the system does not benefit your interests, and know how to find what is of yours.

A

AaaB0rat3000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very complicated to play poker and studying.. really

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its really complicate to merge all the things... but you life, friends and family is so important as the poker, so you need to find time for all :)

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker,specifically NLH is a dark,dangerous,entertaining,difficult,complex, and lucrative game. The game will and can consume your life and when it does the inevitably downswing will send you in a nosedive in life as if you are not doing good in poker,inevitable downswing,and poker is your life....because the game consumed you then you are in super dangerous territory.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It affects many, especially when things are not what they need to be at home and at work, and we decided to play that day, and then on the first lost hand, I start playing with stupid cards, just when I need to quit, but when everything is ok in the house and at work, then there is another story, as some people say, when all the dice agrees, then the poker goes, at least it is with me.:five:

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realized one thing - it is not necessary to sit at a poker table when you have some problems! So I advise many coaches poker game should start only in good physical and mental mood, otherwise you will not be able to play and lose!

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play online poker only for fun, so it is easy for me to give up the computer if my wife wants it. My serious poker is when we are on vacation; Las Vegas, Palm Springs or Niagara Falls, and my wife will make sure I get at least one complete afternoon for poker.

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have family you need to balancing hard :) But if you are solo you can enjoy poker for real.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well balance is key to anything in life

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read an interesting thread earlier about people letting poker affect their private lives. You can check it out here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/does-poker-affect-your-private-life-352115/ . My question is kind of ass-backwards to theirs.

How many of you let your personal life affect your play and how do you prevent it? This is a problem I sometimes struggle with.

First I would like to give you thumbs up for thinking outside the box, it's a quite an interesting question. I only play freerolls and only for fun, not being really interested in the monetary value of the prizes, or even the learning aspect of it, so in general I don't think my personal life has a huge impact on the way I play. But one thing that makes quite a difference and is related to personal life is the time that I have to play in a given freeroll. If I know that I only have half an hour or less to play before I have to leave the game, there is no way I could possibly reach the later later stages of the tournament, regardless of how lucky I am or what strategy I use, so I play loose and aggressive, trying to get all in with any decent hand or draw, and enjoy the few minutes of entertainment. On the other hand, if I have the whole evening off, I am more careful about risking my chips, and of course, try to get as far as possible into the late stages of the tournament.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I assume this question is intended for grinders or people that play for a living. It shouldn't be so complicated if you're just a casual player.

Just like with anything else, you need to be mentally disciplined enough to be able to block out distractions coming from other areas of your life and focus on playing.

If you plan to make poker your primary job or career you have to treat it like any other job. You have to put in the hours, and you have to make it clear to your loved ones that this is what you're doing. Other people might not understand the amount of time, discipline, focus and commitment (and of course money) poker takes so you should take the time and explain it to them so they don't just see it as you having fun playing a game while ignoring them, and so they won't interfere with you when you're playing.

Since poker is not a strictly 9 to 5 job, you have to come up with schedule that allows you to put in the necessary volume while also accommodating other people's needs and other aspects of your life (other responsibilities).

You should also have a solid plan in terms of how much money you need to invest in poker, how you'll manage your bankroll and how much you expect to make. This will also help your significant other or family members take your playing more seriously and solidify in their minds that this is your job. You need to involve them in the process or else they just won't get it.

P

pokerpick311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker as any area of ​​life can be harmful, if we take a lot of school, we are sick and we get away from the family, if we take drugs we also do not isolate from the family, the person who plays a lot becomes addicted to losing, because if goes bad will want to recover, and when he recovers it returns to gamble to win and it is there when he loses everything and more, then if we do not find a balance with the things that we like to spend an addiction, as such poker takes us many hours We take time away from our family and friend.

oleg plugaru

oleg plugaru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to understand that poker is just a hobby (unless you are a poker pro) .. It is not allowed to confuse the game with your personal life ..