Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends at which level you play! The higher the level, the higher the intellectual element... Generally speaking!

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I also think that only good luck is necessary at low limits, and that playing good is also good at high limits.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that based on your playing style you can use your intellect in the game of poker. One has to read their opponents, identify betting patterns, calculate outs and percentages, look at the ratio between the pot and the bet to be made and size the bet in addition to the mathematics involved in counting chips. Hey, it sound pretty intellectual to me.

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Abs-freakin-lutely!!! Intelligence of all ranges of the spectrum that is anchored by math and calculated by Will and steered by discipline. The true cognitive spirit of man will always be drawn to poker once the main fundamentals of is structure is grasped. To challenge ones intellect of the multitude of others, is the purest feeling of self confidence, doubt, and motivation to solve, not just to win.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it has any comparison with chess. Chess is a game of strategy and pure mental ability where luck does not intervene. Poker is a game of discipline and strategy where luck intervenes. The best player does not always win, they do not always win the best cards. A game based on probability and statistics will never be 100% strategic since it is an inexact science and will depend to a greater or lesser extent on luck.

Regards.

Great answer !!! and quite correct, imo. Games like backgammon and poker are based on an unknown event of 'luck' or 'chance'. Poker may be a game of statistics, but never a game totally based on intellect. Chess is never won or lost based on 'chance'.

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great answer !!! and quite correct, imo. Games like backgammon and poker are based on an unknown event of 'luck' or 'chance'. Poker may be a game of statistics, but never a game totally based on intellect. Chess is never won or lost based on 'chance'.
Thanks!!! :D

A

ANiceBoi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't being good at a game like poker or chess requires high intelligence, unless you were to learn the game without help or guidance. Being intelligent only helps to speed up learning, but I think perseverance and willpower are much more important. I also think in games like chess, where there is always a correct move (as far as I'm aware) there is less of a psychological and tilt factor to account for. I think poker requires wisdom more than intelligence, because no matter how intelligent you are, you can always blame bad luck and tilt :)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comparing poker to chess and saying that because chess is an intellectual game and poker involves chance that poker is not as intellectual as chess is a mistake. Just because part of poker involves luck does not mean all of poker is luck-based. I would argue that poker pros have to develop more skills than a chess master has to develop. Not only that, but the fact that the poker pro has to find some way of accounting for and winning in spite of bad luck makes could be considered a mental skill on its own. Now, I wouldn't say poker players are smarter than chess players, or that either of them are smarter than the typical highly intelligent person who plays neither (perhaps not wasting time playing either is a sign of higher intelligence itself), but to claim poker is not a game of intelligence would be a tad naive. Even my complete fish style of playing requires some level of intellect. I hope? :dontknow:

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker is an intellectual game, it depends on how you associate things.
Remember poker is a game where there are gains and losses, in this feeling is a game of chance. On the other hand there is the strategic side of the tournaments, so there is a small root of intellectual play.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Naturally. You use your brain's mastery to analyze mathematical and actual perfection.

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont need luck in chess, but in poker luck plays a big roll. Nevertheless poker is a game of discipline, patience and strategy.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker really is a game of wisdom, patience, observation, discipline, wit, insight, discernment. In the long run whoever has these characteristics as a poker player will win. Applying skills that are difficult, folding is one of the most friendly weapons of a poker player.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker really is a game of wisdom, patience, observation, discipline, wit, insight, discernment. In the long run whoever has these characteristics as a poker player will win. Applying skills that are difficult, folding is one of the most friendly weapons of a poker player.
Your statement is suggested for consideration. You have the right to your statement.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an intellectual game, as well as Billiards, geometric ) on 2 April, I'm kidding. Excuse me. Yes of course poker is an intellectual gambling game, with accidents, there are no accidents in chess. Poker is just fun - gambling. Yes, all Board games are gambling. That's good, I like it. I'm waiting for Poker with open cards, that would be interesting. Good luck!

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What place should take poker in this series? Chess, checkers, backgammon, dominoes. Some equate it with chess, which of course causes laughter, well, at least a smile, for me just above backgammon, because of the possibility of bluffing. By and large, you just must guess whether to go with this hand to the bank or not. All poker schools create the appearance of an intellectual game, they are created for the popularization of poker, it is learning, learning is such a smart game. Or maybe it's still a separate kind of game?

So weird.
As I'm just thinking about posting about how poker really is more of an intellectual game than its put out to be or even more than people realize
It's truly a battle of wits, battle of the minds.
I love it I'm not good at much in life but I'm good w people & in general reading people.
It has translated into much success in my poker journey.
I'm by far the smartest person on the planet but I am wise & intellectual & my best poker ability is reading people.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an intellectual game, as well as Billiards, geometric ) on 2 April, I'm kidding. Excuse me. Yes of course poker is an intellectual gambling game, with accidents, there are no accidents in chess. Poker is just fun - gambling. Yes, all Board games are gambling. That's good, I like it. I'm waiting for Poker with open cards, that would be interesting. Good luck!

Of course. If poker was a game that required high skill, we would have the same names every year on the final table of wsop. Poker requires some skill, but not so much. You can't go all in in chess and hope your one pawn beats opponent's Queen and King by luck.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's an intellectual game but some things happens that discourages anyone, has to like the game to continue playing.

Mister Pillow

Mister Pillow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker IS an intellectual game!

Poker is rarely ever played as a short-term game!

Anyone who’s ever had even a semi-serious attempt at trying to make money out of it knows that if you want to make actual money playing poker, it’s not going to happen inside 1,000 hands. How many hands you have to play in order to become an expert is anyone’s guess, but some players report playing anything from 200 to about 10,000 hands per day. In other words, if you want to be a brilliant poker player, it’s going to take you a long time.

Having this in mind, and with human factor, I can certainly surmise that poker is a true intellectual game.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
C'mon now, poker is a game that involves skill, strategy, luck and of course intellect. However to equate it with chess in my opinion is a big stretch because in chess skill, strategy and intellect is key and the only luck involved is when or if your opponent messes up.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What place should take poker in this series? Chess, checkers, backgammon, dominoes. Some equate it with chess, which of course causes laughter, well, at least a smile, for me just above backgammon, because of the possibility of bluffing. By and large, you just must guess whether to go with this hand to the bank or not. All poker schools create the appearance of an intellectual game, they are created for the popularization of poker, it is learning, learning is such a smart game. Or maybe it's still a separate kind of game?

I believe it is definetly a intellectual games but where factor of luck do not let the best player to win every time and for this reason everyone could win money on the short term and that emotion and excitement is what keeps the dream alive for lot's of players who doesn't go really deep into the game and sticks only to the basics, but in my opinion it is more like dominoes where with your skill you can have a big advantage but when you have only one or two to play is matter of luck who have the last one your opponent or your team and there is no way to know...

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would refer poker to an intellectual game, although poker is called chess cards, it also needs endurance, composure, and of course, not a small amount of luck and luck is needed!

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a game that needs intelligence and concentration, but in my opinion, it has never ceased to be a game of luck!

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that yes, power is a game that makes you more intellectual .. because who takes it seriously, ends up creating habits that go beyond the game, how to manage your finances, emotional self control, have the posture of knowing how to lose, Of course in every sport you have it .. but I see him in poker in a harder way, because you do not just have to be the best calculator and techniques, because the variance will get you, and you need to be prepared already in the basketball game by example you can control the final results in the short term, poker is not possible.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, this is an intellectual game. And much more popular than chess. On prize payouts - one hundred percent.

Top 10 Games Poker Tells