Poker guilt anyone?

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started to play poker, I used to play poker a lot, so, I missed some friends and family reunions because of poker. Now I learned that you can play poker and have a health social life. I combine with my family the days that I’m going to play and if have some special occasion, I don’t play poker that day.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats why

I posted yesterday about making a foolish "mistake" after making it deep in a $1,000 freeroll, but the reality was that I was suffering from poker guilt and went all-in with the intent of busting as my wife was sitting across from me.

I pretty much neglected my wife and two small kids to play in the many poker freerolls during Thanksgiving and I was definitely feeling a sense of guilt by the end of the night.

Anyone else have experiences of suffering guilt from playing poker?

Win or lose in terms of a winning session, do you ever feel like it's a losing session because of POKER GUILT?

Some personal openness shared here, so no need to try to make me feel worse. I took the kids to Six Flags today and gave my wife a break for the whole day to make up for it but they didn't really say anything.

thats day one stuff man dont ever play if you got something else on your mind. I always find a way to make time and play. Its like poker you can avoid certain situations just by being patient. So make time for the game so you dont feel that way and itll show in your game as well.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes...I’ve felt it.

I posted yesterday about making a foolish "mistake" after making it deep in a $1,000 freeroll, but the reality was that I was suffering from poker guilt and went all-in with the intent of busting as my wife was sitting across from me.

I pretty much neglected my wife and two small kids to play in the many poker freerolls during Thanksgiving and I was definitely feeling a sense of guilt by the end of the night.

Win or lose in terms of a winning session, do you ever feel like it's a losing session because of POKER GUILT?

Some personal openness shared here, so no need to try to make me feel worse. I took the kids to Six Flags today and gave my wife a break for the whole day to make up for it but they didn't really say anything.

Only family men will get it this. As a husband and father of a 4 and 8 year old I get it. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law has tried to make me feel it but my wife is the one who really makes me feel it. She’s eased up more now because now she actually helps me and she’s become good at poker too using my method. She’s understood that the money helps. Thanksgiving we both played poker but I use a laptop so I multi-tasked the whole time I’m playing. I actually made a ham while in a poker tournament. I change pull ups while in a poker tournament. I make the kids food and watch them while in a tournament. I don’t know, it works. I play Thursday through Saturday cause those are my days off work. If I’m too busy, I can leave the laptop with her and she’s actually won hands in my absence. Hopefully one day you can reach this point. Not even Daniel Negreanu let’s his wife substitute but it works for me. Good Luck! 😉

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not now, cause I never made a deposit and hope never do it

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Yes, I have certainly felt the Poker Guilt once or twice recently. I have been playing more, because of the pandemic and not being able to go out. I spoke with my partner about it and we agreed a couple of rules.

1) Chores are all done so they're not just left to her.
2) Daughter is ready for bed and proper good nights said.
3) Poker is scheduled for 3 nights a week maximum. There is some flexibility in this as some nights I'm just not feeling it, but that doesn't mean if a don't play at all next week, I can play 6 nights next week.

Things have worked out better since then and I can just focus on my game and my family does not feel neglected.

Give it a try - hopefully the same works for you.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I often feel it. My family is in the kitchen drinking tea, and I have no time, I play poker. I'd like to sit with them. And so often. I always choose my family So I lose often )))) Not only relatives, Pets too ))) Sometimes a cat will come, lie on your hand, and I play, I lose ))))